Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sergio Garcia - Major Winner!!!

Options
  • 25-01-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody ever work out Sergio ?

Watching him go well in Qatar - again, your there maybe this will be a big year for him.

Just looked up the top all time earners, he is number 9 and will easily end up top 5 on that list. But, and how can there be a but ? With such earnings and a substantive career.

He had his issues with relationships and has fallen out of love with the game at times. He looks very unhappy on the course sometimes. I guess we never know the real person.

In 2012 after his Masters he said " I'm not good enough to win a major". Amazing thing for a golfer with such talent and so young to say - perhaps it was heat of the moment.

Maybe it would have been a different story if he had of picked up that early major. I’m just hoping that he somehow gets that enthusiasm of his early career back. Wins a big one and smiles a bit again. He could easily pick up 3 or 4 majors yet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

When he putts at a decent level for a prolonged period of time then he will probably win a lot more titles even maybe a major.

On a side note..... I don't like the guy. He chooses to only play one tournament in the UK - the Open. He does this for tax reasons.

I think it's pretty petty to be so wealthy yet deny a public that love him the chance to see him play live more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fangee wrote: »
    When he putts at a decent level for a prolonged period of time then he will probably win a lot more titles even maybe a major.

On a side note..... I don't like the guy. He chooses to only play one tournament in the UK - the Open. He does this for tax reasons.

I think it's pretty petty to be so wealthy yet deny a public that love him the chance to see him play live more often.

Was in his company once - again was dire. But , I would feel for him there. Very hard to be in the public eye , everybody thinking they know you and can talk to you - he has had to deal with that from what 17 , 18.

I'd have to look it up, but he has been good to the Irish Open ?

Was in his company once - again was dire. But , I would feel for him there. Very hard to be in the public eye , everybody thinking they know you and can talk to you - he has had to deal with that from what 17 , 18.

I'd have to look it up, but he has been good to the Irish Open ?

So if he's been good to the Irish open then I presume the Government have been good to him re taxes he has to pay here ?

Just looked it up

He won Irish open at bloody 19 - amazing. You can forget how good he was.

1999 Druids Glen.
    14 years after no major. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

He brought a fantastic breath of youthful excitement and exuberance to golf in his early years and such a talent! But I am no longer Sergo fan, he has turned into a right little b*ll*x, and his behaviour after his two losses to Harrington showed his true colours. He is the ultimate spoilt brat! but still gets the cracking birds and loads of dough! Not right or fair at any level!

cheers

Peter

• Advertisement

He brought a fantastic breath of youthful excitement and exuberance to golf in his early years and such a talent! But I am no longer Sergo fan, he has turned into a right little b*ll*x, and his behaviour after his two losses to Harrington showed his true colours. He is the ultimate spoilt brat! but still gets the cracking birds and loads of dough! Not right or fair at any level!

cheers

Peter

lol.

Harsh Peter - we have to give him some slack - imagine everybody knowing you from 19. It can make you go nuts. People coming over to you all the time -photos, watching you, talking to you - calling you a bollix. ;)

lol.

Harsh Peter - we have to give him some slack - imagine everybody knowing you from 19. It can make you go nuts. People coming over to you all the time -photos, watching you, talking to you - calling you a bollix. ;)

Yeah it must be tough to have such a privileged life.

He plays for a living and a good living it is. He actually plays. Yes. Like we did when we were kids.

He gets paid savage money to play a game that I presume he loves (or at least did).

He doesn't have a Dickhead boss. He goes where he wants when he wants.

He NEVER has to look at his bills or his bank balance.

He has been admired from a young age so I doubt he has received much bad manners from the Public as he was very well liked.

Nah. His attitude stinks. Appearing to act like a spoilt little child when many millions would KILL for his lifestyle ?

I've now decided he's a twat.

Maybe a year or two without his money and having to work in a real job would make him appreciate exactly what he has.

lol.

At my age, I can assure you FDP, I have been called a bollix many many times but probably not as many times as Sergio!!:)

Peter

Actually I just remembered I have a lovely grey cat I named after Sergio: Elbie ..... Little Bollix!!

Yeah it must be tough to have such a privileged life.

He plays for a living and a good living it is. He actually plays. Yes. Like we did when we were kids.

He gets paid savage money to play a game that I presume he loves (or at least did).

He doesn't have a Dickhead boss. He goes where he wants when he wants.

He NEVER has to look at his bills or his bank balance.

He has been admired from a young age so I doubt he has received much bad manners from the Public as he was very well liked.

Nah. His attitude stinks. Appearing to act like a spoilt little child when many millions would KILL for his lifestyle ?

I've now decided he's a twat.

Maybe a year or two without his money and having to work in a real job would make him appreciate exactly what he has.

Look can't disagree with any of that - but I have a tendency to be a weak devil's advocate on here.

If you are ever in a restaurant or anywhere with someone famous watch how it pans out - my idea of a nightmare.

The public eye does not rest easy with all - some can't hack it. Not to mention the lack of privacy.

But back to golf - putting has been an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Yeah, a few things about Garcia.

Have never forgotten seeing him hitting majestic fairway woods in Mount Juliet years ago at the AMEX. What a talent.

On the other hand, he was playing with Harro in that tournament and two more opposite characters you could not match together. The body language between them was very telling - almost no communication, and this was years before Carnoustie. Garcia would be annoying to play with - he's always faffing around, chatting here, there and everywhere.

Saw him at the Open in Lytham this year on the Wednesday practice day. He fobbed off a few young lads asking for autographs, actually was rude to them. Contast that with Tom Watson who was signing autographs all day long. Garcia could learn a thing or two from Tom.

Back to golf :p

Jaysus , some of that early Adidas gear he had was awful stuff - he should be in the hall of shame for that alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

2012 season on the PGA Tour - 57 rounds

26th in Strokes Gained Putting (191 players)
    7th in 3 Putt Avoidance
    16th in putting inside 3 feet
    3rd in putting inside 5 feet

Growling at every ball he hits here on TV.

I'm turning on him. In his yellow.

"Down, Down, Stop Stop"

Going to put a 10 er on him to win this for the laugh after this.

Look can't disagree with any of that - but I have a tendency to be a weak devil's advocate on here.

If you are ever in a restaurant or anywhere with someone famous watch how it pans out - my idea of a nightmare.

The public eye does not rest easy with all - some can't hack it. Not to mention the lack of privacy.

But back to golf - putting has been an issue.

I hear ya and I agree that it would take an obscene amount of money for me to lose my anonymity but he does choose to advertise products and take the money and with that goes further exposure. You can't have it both ways.

If he just stuck to the golf then I'd be more supportive about him having more public privacy.

The above reference to Tom Watson says it all really. Don't bite the hand that feeds and be grateful for what your talent gives you...... an easy life.

If he ever putts consistently good he WILL win a major. No doubt.

saintastic wrote: »
    2012 season on the PGA Tour - 57 rounds

26th in Strokes Gained Putting (191 players)
    7th in 3 Putt Avoidance
    16th in putting inside 3 feet
    3rd in putting inside 5 feet

So he is getting there. He did win last year and twice the year before but it's no massive secret its his putting that lets him down.

Stats don't tell us everything.

I hear ya and I agree that it would take an obscene amount of money for me to lose my anonymity but he does choose to advertise products and take the money and with that goes further exposure. You can't have it both ways.

If he just stuck to the golf then I'd be more supportive about him having more public privacy.

The above reference to Tom Watson says it all really. Don't bite the hand that feeds and be grateful for what your talent gives you...... an easy life.

If he ever putts consistently good he WILL win a major. No doubt.

But taking the Tom Watson example above (Tom is a gent) - but growing up as a sporting talent in the modern era is a whole new level. Did you ever look at the Sun or Mail or the modern press - unreal , photos on beaches at hotels on the street. If Sergio was to talk to every kid that wanted to talk to him, he would have no practice, no wins, no time.

But, yes, he buys big time into endorsement and that goes with it.

We don't know him and what issues he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

So he is getting there. He did win last year and twice the year before but it's no massive secret its his putting that lets him down.

Stats don't tell us everything.

I agree that you can always find stats to back up more or less any point but the Strokes Gained Putting stat is regarded as the best stat for putting on tour and he was 26th on that.

Also, if he is 3rd best on tour inside 5ft, that is a huge improvement for him from the last 10 years.

It doesn't say that his days of being a poor putter are behind him but he is definitely getting better and I agree with you, I think he could go well in the Majors this year.

The acid test will be how his putting holds up on the back nine of a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

As a person, I'm not mad about him, but I could spend all day watching him hitting long irons :cool:

• Advertisement

lol - knew people did not like him - but not this much.

He is after taking nearly 2 minutes to hit a drive there :eek:
    A RBZ too :p

Lads what was it that he did around Padraig's wins - I know he had an awfull head on him - But can't remember what he said that wound every
    one up ? I guess, The Spainish Paddy thing rubbed off from Ollie event.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I absolutely love sergio and I hope this year is his year. I hope every year is his year :D

I absolutely love sergio and I hope this year is his year. I hope every year is his year :D

lol- we found one - or is that because you love everyone.

haha - I do love everyone

But I particularly love sergio! great player. I love his style. Wears his heart on his sleeve. He's just like me, when we both hit bad shots we have the same reactions, lol. I wish he had achieved more in his career though looking at the MONEY, he has achieved a lot. Just bottled it a few times when leading majors. As someone up above said, could watch him hitting long irons all day long. Same as those fairway woods off the deck from the tee.

I always back him in every major, have had some great runs with him, though he has a habit of always finishing in 7th, lol :) Dont care though, love him anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Loire wrote: »
    As a person, I'm not mad about him, but I could spend all day watching him hitting long irons :cool:

And listening to "that" sound - sounds different to almost anyone else in golf the way he rips through it...........nice :D

haha - I do love everyone

But I particularly love sergio! great player. I love his style. Wears his heart on his sleeve. He's just like me, when we both hit bad shots we have the same reactions, lol. I wish he had achieved more in his career though looking at the MONEY, he has achieved a lot. Just bottled it a few times when leading majors. As someone up above said, could watch him hitting long irons all day long. Same as those fairway woods off the deck from the tee.

I always back him in every major, have had some great runs with him, though he has a habit of always finishing in 7th, lol :) Dont care though, love him anyways

Interesting. I've backed a few major winners over the last few years (Ernie, Bubba, Rory, Charl) but I never gave Sergio a second glance.

Has he really finished that high (7th) and has he done it often ?

If so then I'd have to seriously consider him this year (as his putting seems to be getting more consistent) and which major course do you think will suit him most ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tournament 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    The Masters T40 CUT 8 T28 T4 CUT 46 CUT CUT T38 T45 T35
    U.S. Open T46 T12 4 T35 T20 T3 CUT CUT T18 T10 T22 T7
    The Open Championship T36 T9 T8 T10 CUT T5 T5 2 T51 T38 T14 T9
    PGA Championship T34 CUT T10 CUT CUT T23 T3 DQ T2 CUT CUT T12

Hard to read, but the jist is there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Tournament 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    The Masters T40 CUT 8 T28 T4 CUT 46 CUT CUT T38 T45 T35
    U.S. Open T46 T12 4 T35 T20 T3 CUT CUT T18 T10 T22 T7
    The Open Championship T36 T9 T8 T10 CUT T5 T5 2 T51 T38 T14 T9
    PGA Championship T34 CUT T10 CUT CUT T23 T3 DQ T2 CUT CUT T12

Hard to read, but the jist is there

On those figures it'd be easy to say the open but excluding the masters it's a different course each year for the majors.

Only 'cause I thought you may be a fan of his I was hoping you might know which of the other 3 courses this year might suit him most.

Just me being lazy/opportunistic.

Missed out by 2 shots in 2011 at the open - thought it was closer and I think he may have been 1 shot closer at one stage, but finished 2 shots outside the places.
    Missed out by 1 shot of a place at the US Open and I think he bogeyed one of the last holes to do it aswell.
    12th last year at the Masters aswell. He's improving. Hoping he'll push on for a top 6 this April cause I'll be backing him again, lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

I like sergio too.....

Runs and hides in long grass.....

Oh look a ball...feckin ultras

Advertisement