Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd/ESPN

• 25-01-2013 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

On average, how many Man Utd games do ESPN broadcast throughout the season. I need to start cutting down on my bills, and £10 a month for one channel is a bit steep. I used to always watch the live game on a Saturday, regardless of who was playing, but I'm not watching as much footie lately so I think I'll get it out. I just can't remember how often they show us. About one per month is it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

One a month is right for February and March anyway! From their website:

January
    Saturday 19th West Bromwich Albion v Aston Villa 4:30pm
    February
    Saturday 2nd Fulham v Manchester United 4:30pm
    Saturday 9th Southampton v Manchester City 4:30pm
    March
    Saturday 2nd Wigan v Liverpool 4:30pm
    Saturday 16th Manchester United v Reading 4:30pm
    Saturday 30th Everton v Stoke City 4:30pm

They don't show April and May so maybe these games are chosen closer to the dates and according to the more interesting games relative to league positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Cheers. But I just logged into my Sky account to have a look at my billing history. Turns out I'm getting ESPN for free. Happy days. Just as well, I didn't realise they showed so many live games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Cheers. But I just logged into my Sky account to have a look at my billing history. Turns out I'm getting ESPN for free. Happy days. Just as well, I didn't realise they showed so many live games.

You're like that bloke whose wife bought him a season ticket and gave it to him as a christmas present.

Actually, I'm more like that guy whose wife has pointed out that 70% of our outgoings are down to my 'hobbies!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Actually, I'm more like that guy whose wife has pointed out that 70% of our outgoings are down to my 'hobbies!'

Time to cut the brothel visits down to once a fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I read the thread title and thought of this article http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/25/manchester-united-live-fa-cup
    "Manchester United's constant live TV presence for Cup ties criticised".

Some irrelevant clubs complaining that ESPN etc. show Utd FA Cup games over potential giant-killers' games. Slightly ironic don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Proper order that , tell her to keep it up or you'll raise it to 80%

I read the thread title and thought of this article http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/25/manchester-united-live-fa-cup

Some irrelevant clubs complaining that ESPN etc. show Utd FA Cup games over potential giant-killers' games. Slightly ironic don't you think?

I think that the beauty of the FA cup is that no club can be considered irrelevant.

I think giant killing is typically reserved for lower league beating higher league.

But then again, Manchester United are the most giant of giants, so yes, even if it's Fulham, it's ironic! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Thats only because working the kitchen carries little expense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I think that the beauty of the FA cup is that no club can be considered irrelevant.

I think giant killing is typically reserved for lower league beating higher league.

But then again, Manchester United are the most giant of giants, so yes, even if it's Fulham, it's ironic! :pac:
    Well no, you are right, no club is irrelevant in a cup. I was just trying to belittle their criticism. And yes, nearly anyone who beats Utd can be a giant-killer. At least if it is a Utd rout people got to see goals and Utd play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ESPN can only show a team 5 times a seaon in the League, from onemorechance post after those games ESPN only have 3 more league games to show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

On average, how many Man Utd games do ESPN broadcast throughout the season. I need to start cutting down on my bills, and £10 a month for one channel is a bit steep. I used to always watch the live game on a Saturday, regardless of who was playing, but I'm not watching as much footie lately so I think I'll get it out. I just can't remember how often they show us. About one per month is it?

espn uk is closing down in may.. BT sports channel is launching then, have already bought the rights to most of espn uk's content.. don't know if it will be available on upc though..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Isn't this the third of four years for ESPN...so they've another year left..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Its over TV audiences and nothing else . I mean why would channels put on games that won't be viewed by too many people . If it was a case of asking sky sports to pick the fixture list they would have Liverpool and Man Utd playing every super sunday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dfx- wrote: »
    Isn't this the third of four years for ESPN...so they've another year left..

Nope from next season it's sky sports and bt showing the premier league games

I understand ITV's reasons for showing so many Man U games. TV is a ratings war, especially when advertising revenue is at stake. But it's that very same reasoning that has our channels flooded with talent shows and celebrity meltdowns. Big ratings is a good business model. But ultimately, something has to be sacrificed for it, whether that's original drama or the profile of other teams/sports.

The current situation suits me just fine, because I'm a Man U fan. But I can see why it pisses people off. There's always a few mid week fixtures during the year when Man U aren't on the box. And Sky usually show a game featuring one or two teams from the lower half of the table. Yet you'll always here our lot whinging about how they're paying €40 a month and they still cant see every game live. Yeah, right, because over 50 live games a year isn't enough...

The technology is there to enable everyone to pick their team, and watch all their games live every year, be it on a laptop, iPad, or whatever. 'Pay as you go Premier League'. But it will never happen, because the business model of every broadcaster is to milk the bollocks out of everyone. A system like that would necessarily mean less profit. Sky are determined to provide 100 ways of watching the same thing. Football fans should be provided with 1 way (individual team subscription) to watch 100 different things (the match of their choice). Instead, we'll be able to watch Man U and Arsenal on the back of our eyelids, for only an extra €10 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The technology is there to enable everyone to pick their team, and watch all their games live every year, be it on a laptop, iPad, or whatever. 'Pay as you go Premier League'. But it will never happen, because the business model of every broadcaster is to milk the bollocks out of everyone. A system like that would necessarily mean less profit. Sky are determined to provide 100 ways of watching the same thing. Football fans should be provided with 1 way (individual team subscription) to watch 100 different things (the match of their choice). Instead, we'll be able to watch Man U and Arsenal on the back of our eyelids, for only an extra €10 per month.

That did exist a few years ago, TV season ticket for your club.

Premier League knocked it on the head as it affected the other clubs, proper order tbh.

Without "little" clubs there are no big clubs.

I just googled it. It was called PremPlus.

A little different from what I suggested though. The matches were pay per view, but you couldn't choose your fixture. The Season Ticket seemed to have been just a discount for buying the entire 50 games. You couldn't watch all of your team's fixtures.

It seems to have been disbanded because it was unpopular, given that you already had to have an existing Sports package.

I can't help but feel it would work differently nowadays though, particularly with Sky Go, high speed broadband, etc. Media consumption is being increasingly individualised. It seems almost inevitable that every game will be available at some stage. Although the EU competition ban on one broadcaster holding exclusive rights to the entire fixture list would be a problem.

The bottom line with these things is just that: the bottom line. If Sky can turn maximum profits from it I can't see why it won't happen.

Anyway, enough daydreaming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ziggyman17 wrote: »

espn uk is closing down in may.

Can you provide a link to the ESPN announcement that said this. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wont happen, but it would be great if each club's own TV channel (or those that have one) were allowed shown their own matches live instead of just highlights or whatever the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I just googled it. It was called PremPlus.

A little different from what I suggested though. The matches were pay per view, but you couldn't choose your fixture. The Season Ticket seemed to have been just a discount for buying the entire 50 games. You couldn't watch all of your team's fixtures.

It seems to have been disbanded because it was unpopular, given that you already had to have an existing Sports package...

It ended when the rules changed to allow a second broadcaster show EPL games

The number of games previously on ppv ended up being shown by the second broadcaster.

Has anyone gone down the route of getting the Sky Sports app on the ipad?
    Sky Sports for iPad

* Watch all six Sky Sports channels live

* Sky ID required. If you are a Sky customer and do not currently have a Sky iD, visit My Sky for more information. If you are NOT a Sky TV customer you can purchase an auto-renewing monthly subscription to Sky Sports News for iPad for £4.99 (see the App store for details).

Hook the ipad to the tv, e.g Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter.

I wonder will you get access to all 6 channels on the app with a Sky iD if the account of that iD does not subscribe to Sky Sports? Most likely you won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The way that reads to me is you just get sky sports news for a 5er a month on your ipad if you dont have the subscription

The way that reads to me is you just get sky sports news for a 5er a month on your ipad if you dont have the subscription

It's somewhat vague I think, it does not specify that you must be a Sky Sports subscriber.

It says that "Sky ID required" and "If you are NOT a Sky TV customer you can purchase ...".

So I'm guessing that anyone with a basic Sky package, specifically no Sky Sports, has a Sky iD; what I'm wondering is if the person with the basic will have access to Sky Sports on the iPad add. I'm guessing that they won't, but I don't think it's clear from the text on the website.

I would guess thought that the app has a log-in with your Sky iD and it will filter what you see according to your tv subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is this a match thread or a pay tv thread? :pac:

adox wrote: »

It's neither, it's a household budget thread!

adox wrote: »

You can have both, for just €9.99 per month.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to the ESPN announcement that said this. Thanks.

I don't think ESPN is shutting down, but it's definitely their last season of Premier League football.

BT have also picked up ESPN's Premiership Rugby packages, from 2012/13 onward. And I think they've also picked up Ligue 1. They said they want to present this brand of football in a more attractive way. A not so subtle reference to ESPN's studio-less coverage.

Sky have picked up the NBA roster, although they might not be exclusive rights. ESPN will still have baseball, ice hockey, etc. But these are fringe sports in the UK. It's hard to see where they're gonna go from here.

There's a possibility that they could up their Bundesliga coverage, and try to do for that league in the UK what Sky has been doing for La Liga. Although that would be tough. It isn't as marketable, and La Liga's late kick-offs mean it never clashes with people's beloved Premier League. Still though, it would be a good time to give it a go. A lot of people will be interested in watching Bayern Munich over the next few years.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wont happen, but it would be great if each club's own TV channel (or those that have one) were allowed shown their own matches live instead of just highlights or whatever the next day.

MUTV is occasionally free-to-air, during the build up to game. There does be a little countdown clock in the corner, saying the channel is being re-encrypted in 30 mins, exactly as the match kicks off. But of course, if I actually rang up and ordered it in time all I'd get is radio commentary. The worst attempt at consumer manipulation I've ever seen. I don't know of anyone that thinks MUTV shows live games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

MUTV is occasionally free-to-air, during the build up to game. There does be a little countdown clock in the corner, saying the channel is being re-encrypted in 30 mins, exactly as the match kicks off. But of course, if I actually rang up and ordered it in time all I'd get is radio commentary. The worst attempt at consumer manipulation I've ever seen. I don't know of anyone that thinks MUTV shows live games.

I almost fell for that before with Arsenal. Assumed it would be full picture but as I read the information (before ordering) it says only audio, the video isnt available until after midnight. It would be great for fans if the channels were allowed show the full match but I cant see Sky or whoever letting that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I use that Sky SportsTV app on my iPad and i dont have a sports sub. €5.99 a month and the quality is usually top notch.

markc1184 wrote: »
    I use that Sky SportsTV app on my iPad and i dont have a sports sub. €5.99 a month and the quality is usually top notch.

Do you have a Sky TV account / Sky iD without Sky Sports or no Sky TV account / Sky iD at all?

Looks good! From a quick bit of research, it seems that the Sky Sports app can be put full screen on to your tv with the iPad 2, but not with other devices. Also the Sky Go app doesn't allow picture to be output on the tv.

In this video the guy shows Sky Sports news; I wonder does it work for Sky Sports 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I have a sky account but no sky sports subscription. Channels I get on the app are Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4, Sky Sports news, Sky F1, Sky News, ESPN and At the Races. I haven't tried connecting to a TV so I don't know how well it transfers.

Advertisement