Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone?

Options
  • 25-01-2013 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Ok i had started a thread about buying a smart phone which was very helpful and i was talking about which one i had decided on in work which was the lumia 800 (which seems to be out of stock everywhere btw :( )

my manager overheard and told me i was due an upgrade and gave me a list of the following smart phones which will save me buying something for €200

Samsung Galaxy Y

Motorola Defy Mini

Nokia C5i

BlackBerry 9320

are these of any use?

which one would you pick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

davet82 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a smart phone, i have a work phone which is a basic nokia but I thought I'd treat myself to a new smart phone as a reward seeing i've quit the smokes...

I just don't know which one to get or where to start...

So I want something that has apps, internet, at least 8gb for music, a good camera, fm radio...

now i suppose its gonna be between an iphone (expensive i've heard and also restrictive software/music licence ?) android/samsung or nokia/windows 8

i don't really no where to start as i haven't taken much interest before in smartphones, any advice would be much appreciated, pros/cons :)

Added from previous thread.

Its hard to choose from them as there isn't really one that stands out. You will be compromising with any of them. Do you want to take one anywhere or would rather buy something?

There are 4 or 5 Nokia C5 and non are C5i iirc, should be c5-01 or c5-04 etc

You could get the lumia sim free online if you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If I had to pick between only them it would be the blackberry or the nokia. The reason being is an underpowered android device is just hideous and both the defy and Y are that in my mind. I haven't tried the nokia and the blackberry will get things done (email, calls texts). Browser will be ok but it's getting a little old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

cookie1977 wrote: »
    If I had to pick between only them it would be the blackberry or the nokia. The reason being is an underpowered android device is just hideous and both the defy and Y are that in my mind. I haven't tried the nokia and the blackberry will get things done (email, calls texts). Browser will be ok but it's getting a little old now.
    Wouldn't go anywhere near the Galaxy Y (it is much, much slower than the Defy). The Defy Mini on the otherhand has 512MB of RAM, which is easily more than enough to run most apps (I have an older Android phone with slightly worse hardware and it runs fine), especially considering it's still only on Gingerbread. Don't know anything about the Blackberry, but I imagine that apps are non-existant on that platform. As for the Nokia, that uses awful resistive touchscreens and will be completely crippled due to the crappy hardware. Honestly, I wouldnt go near a Symbian device unless it had the latest version (older versions are awful, Belle is decent).

The Defy will have a very good selection of apps, it will have an FM radio, it has expandable storage through an SD card so you can load upto 32GB of music on to it. Camera won't be great (it does have an LED flash though), but just about all the budget phones have crap cameras (although you can buy a used Nokia N8 for €100 which has a better camera than the latest iPhone, Lumia 920, and any other Android phone).

Not sure what popular apps you speak of that are missing from BB apart from skype and netflix

Not sure what popular apps you speak of that are missing from BB apart from skype and netflix
    Ok, just looking at my Android phone, does Blackberry have some of these pretty popular apps?

Sky Go
    Sky +
    Instagram
    Gumtree
    Spotify
    BBC iPlayer
    Mint
    TvCatchUp
    Betfair
    Racing Post

• Advertisement

Ok, just looking at my Android phone, does Blackberry have some of these pretty popular apps?

Sky Go
    Sky +
    Instagram
    Gumtree
    Spotify
    BBC iPlayer
    Mint
    TvCatchUp
    Betfair
    Racing Post

To be honest, if the op is only considering the above phones then they're not using many of those apps. But in relation to BB about half are available in some form or another. Not skygo or sky+ or iplayer or tv catchup

To be honest, if the op is only considering the above phones then they're not using many of those apps.
    The Defy will run all the apps I just mention just fine. It should run 95% of apps on the Android store too as it's on Gingerbread, which the vast majority of apps still support.

As for the Blackberry having half the apps I mentioned, I would be shocked if Blackberry had more than 1 or 2 of the apps I just mentioned.

I had a defy mini. It was was not fun. Are you sure you're not mixing up the defy's?
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-DEFY-MINI,Motorola-DEFY/phones/6755,5728

I had a defy mini. It was was not fun.
    I have a ZTE Blade (Android) that I use for mucking around. It's an inferior phone technically to the Defy Mini, but it ran very smoothly and it ran nearly every app I threw at it. In terms of the best user experience for internet+apps, I fail to see how it could be beaten.

On the otherhand, my current daily phone is a Nokia E7. It has twice the RAM of the Nokia C5 and a much better CPU+GPU. Even at that, it still struggles at times and using the browser is impossible. I shudder to think how awful the C5 would be considering it's on much worse hardware.

As smartphones, the C5 and the Galaxy Y are by far two worst phones that he has to chose from. The Blackberry I suspect wouldn't be ideal either due to its OS, the small screen size and the lack of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Blackberry is ok for browsing IMO. Well I do have the Bold 9900 so probably a bit better than Curve.

• Advertisement

I have a ZTE Blade (Android) that I use for mucking around. It's an inferior phone technically to the Defy Mini, but it ran very smoothly and it ran nearly every app I threw at it. In terms of the best user experience for internet+apps, I fail to see how it could be beaten.

On the otherhand, my current daily phone is a Nokia E7. It has twice the RAM of the Nokia C5 and a much better CPU+GPU. Even at that, it still struggles at times and using the browser is impossible. I shudder to think how awful the C5 would be considering it's on much worse hardware.

As smartphones, the C5 and the Galaxy Y are by far two worst phones that he has to chose from. The Blackberry I suspect wouldn't be ideal either due to its OS, the small screen size and the lack of apps.

It's to do also with user experience. If the op is looking only at these phones then OS combined with specs is important. I doubt they'll be want to watch sky go or use a huge variety of demanding apps. The OS of the 9320 is perfect for that device. Not my cup of tea but still it's fast and light for the specs.If I had a choice I'd pick none of the above.

It's to do also with user experience. If the op is looking only at these phones then OS combined with specs is important. I doubt they'll be want to watch sky go or use a huge variety of demanding apps. The OS of the 9320 is perfect for that device. Not my cup of tea but still it's fast and light for the specs.
    The apps I listed aren't demanding at all. Like I said, they run perfectly on my 2.5 year old, inferior ZTE Blade, which was a budget phone when it was released in 2010! 512MB of RAM for a Gingerbread device is more than enough memory to run apps and have a very smooth user experience from the OS.

It's ok we don't have to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

thanks all for the input...

i gonna let my daughter pick as i'm gonna use the phone until i save up the extra cash and buy something decent like the S3 :)

she'd probably pick the Y but i'm might edge her towards the defy as it sounds better from whats been said

thanks again everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I have been going through a similar process at present, and I've found the biggest important point is to understand what type of features you want on the phone as that will minimse the amount of phone you actually like and you may find out that your daughter wants a completely different phone from one that makes you happy :)

I want a small phone, good battery and able to take 32Gb SD card.. The cost doesnt matter.. and so far I have not managed to find a single phone that meets my requirements

- iPhone 5 .. perfect size, but means I need different cables etc.. and the battery life is not great. Won't allow external SD cards.
    - Motorola Razr I - Doesnt connect to Sure Signal unit. So had to send it back.
    - Samsung Galaxy S1, 2 & 3 - 1 is too big.. 3 is waay to big..
    etc etc ...
    - Checked a bunch of others, and not found one I actually like yet...

Might be worth checking before you spend your cash.. best of luck :)

Advertisement