Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Short Basic IT Training Course

Options
  • 25-01-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any in North Dublin coming up? My Dad was recently made redundant and wants to start learning how to use a computer. He literally needs to start from scratch and would like to do a short course, free if possible. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

http://www.howtogeek.com/117674/the-best-websites-for-free-online-courses-certificates-degrees-and-educational-resources/

Haven't looked ina while but their has to be a few basic ones in there. Theirs other ones aswell but links are lost in my bookmarks somewhere. God, it's a mess. Will have to do something with it.

You can show him the browser basics to get him going. Just tell him he can't actually break anything and he/old folk usually find their way around well enough.

Courses are a real waste of time, they're to basic. "This button to turn on":eek: Could spend the first week doing what you'd show him in a few hours.

Or ask in Dublin Forum

Mature & Non-Traditional Students

Though depending on his age and that, could be good to get him outta the house and what have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You can show him the browser basics to get him going. Just tell him he can't actually break anything and he/old folk usually find their way around well enough.
    Oh no no! I like my dad and he still likes me :p so i wont be teaching him a thing. I tried getting him just to type "toyota" into a search box last week and it took him about 10 mins!!!!! We were done after that.
    wrote:
    Courses are a real waste of time, they're to basic. "This button to turn on"
    He genuinely needs the basic basic course no word of a lie.

typing program be a good place to start, 20 mins a day for a few weeks and he wouldn't have to look at the keyboard. Great help.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Oh no no! I like my dad and he still likes me :p so i wont be teaching him a thing. I tried getting him just to type "toyota" into a search box last week and it took him about 10 mins!!!!! We were done after that.

He genuinely needs the basic basic course no word of a lie.
    :D

One of those Forums be your best bet so!

makeuseof recommend.............this typing one (never used it) if you were looking for one anyway

Another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

They usually offer these courses in secondary schools, check out your local school to see if they run any.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Not sure if this is close to you but they are on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/BallyfermotITTrainingCentre?sid=0.5761676414942503

Advertisement