Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flo Gas crippling prices!

Options
  • 25-01-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Is anyone paying massive Flo Gas bills? Got my bill today, 260 euro for 2 months, 2 bed apartment, 6 small radiators.

The heat is only on about 5 nights a week, for about 3 hours each night, at it's set at half heat. And out of the 8 weeks, the heat wasn't on for 3 of these weeks!

So that's 5 weeks, half heat, 3 hours a night = 260 euro.

The previous bill (which I can't fecking find) was about 220 I think..

What price do ye pay?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm with Electric Ireland and we have similar enough usage to you in a two bedroom apartment. Our latest bill (received last week) was €270 for 70 days so seems about the same.

Although our heat was only off for one week in that period, not three and we have it on every night of the week for 3 hours and half an hour every morning, so maybe we're paying slightly less. We get a certain percent discount on our gas bills for also getting electricity from the same place.

Have you checked to see if you could get it cheaper elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

prices have gone up and VAT and carbon charge take a chunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Far Q Boss

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm with Electric Ireland and we have similar enough usage to you in a two bedroom apartment. Our latest bill (received last week) was €270 for 70 days so seems about the same.

Although our heat was only off for one week in that period, not three and we have it on every night of the week for 3 hours and half an hour every morning, so maybe we're paying slightly less. We get a certain percent discount on our gas bills for also getting electricity from the same place.

Have you checked to see if you could get it cheaper elsewhere?

Cheers for the reply. I don't think I can change providor because I'm in a complex and the gas is pumped from a central pump for all the tenants..

prices have gone up and VAT and carbon charge take a chunk.

Ya I appreciate that, but the carbon tax for example is only 7 euro of the 260 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Far Q Boss wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply. I don't think I can change providor because I'm in a complex and the gas is pumped from a central pump for all the tenants..

That's a pity - hard if you're stuck paying whatever they want to charge, just because you are in a complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you receive your own bill, and its natural gas, you can change supplier. They do absolutely nothing physical to the system to change, its all done on the software/billing side of things.

However, Flogas are usually the cheapest for standalone gas anyway, and the differences are never really more than 10%.

What you need to make sure is that, if there is a communal meter room, that the figures being given are definitely your meter and not a mis-read of someone elses. Also that this isn't an estimate off the last bill - in my previous house where I had natural gas, Flo's estimates were always high, one was so high it covered the entire next period to the point that I got a negative bill when it was read again. An estimate off a previous 220 bill, covering winter months, would be very high.

MYOB wrote: »
    If you receive your own bill, and its natural gas, you can change supplier. They do absolutely nothing physical to the system to change, its all done on the software/billing side of things.

However, Flogas are usually the cheapest for standalone gas anyway, and the differences are never really more than 10%.

What you need to make sure is that, if there is a communal meter room, that the figures being given are definitely your meter and not a mis-read of someone elses. Also that this isn't an estimate off the last bill - in my previous house where I had natural gas, Flo's estimates were always high, one was so high it covered the entire next period to the point that I got a negative bill when it was read again. An estimate off a previous 220 bill, covering winter months, would be very high.

Thanks for the reply. This reading is an actual reading, I can't find the last bill to see if it was an estimate. I'll try and get into the meter room and read the meter..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I find that Flogas are the cheapest for gas for me. You should ring them up and make sure you're getting the best deal. Ask them what the best rate they can offer you.

237973.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jjmmartin

Hi Guys , im living in a housing estate in Kilkenny with 2 big gas cylinders on the green which spplies 70 or so houses. our bills are sky high and most people are thinking about disconnecting and getting their own independent cylinders.
    can I ask what other people are paying per m/3. we pay 3.1269 per m/3

jjmmartin wrote: »
    Hi Guys , im living in a housing estate in Kilkenny with 2 big gas cylinders on the green which spplies 70 or so houses. our bills are sky high and most people are thinking about disconnecting and getting their own independent cylinders.
    can I ask what other people are paying per m/3. we pay 3.1269 per m/3

Hey im paying 3.1269c per m/3. It's supposed to be getting a little cheaper, but by damn all....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

check www.seai.ie for price comparisons on all forms of energy and loads of other info (its a government site)

also, if you have not serviced your boiler for a couple of years you are probably wasting 30% of your fuel. If boiler is more than 10 years old, replace it, current models are hugely more efficient.

and finally, check the thermostat - 68-70 degrees is more than enough for a house, each degree above 70 can add 5% to your bill especially if ambient outside temp is quite low.

btw, there's a grant of 560 for upgrading the boiler. A really good high effeciency boiler is about 1200, installation is about 400, so net cost is about a grand - last year I saved a full tank of oil cpmpared to previous year, so it almost paid for itself in one year.

sandin wrote: »
    check www.seai.ie for price comparisons on all forms of energy and loads of other info (its a government site)

also, if you have not serviced your boiler for a couple of years you are probably wasting 30% of your fuel. If boiler is more than 10 years old, replace it, current models are hugely more efficient.

and finally, check the thermostat - 68-70 degrees is more than enough for a house, each degree above 70 can add 5% to your bill especially if ambient outside temp is quite low.

btw, there's a grant of 560 for upgrading the boiler. A really good high effeciency boiler is about 1200, installation is about 400, so net cost is about a grand - last year I saved a full tank of oil cpmpared to previous year, so it almost paid for itself in one year.

Excellent information..

Advertisement