Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

news.postimees.ee

• 25-01-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Good news for English speakers in Estonia - Postimees just started publishing in English. It will be even better in the future if we get to see the same news in three languages (maybe even Finnish too) rather than market-targeted content.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭syntax1

Thanks! Didn't know about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Estonian isn't a Nordic Language, moved out to main Langauges forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Oh really? I'd be interested in hearing what you think it is then, without googling.

Without googling, no clue.
    With googling, closely related to Finnish.

However, if you look under the forum name here the Nordic forum caters for:
    Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Finnish.

Even though they are related they are separate, hence the move.
    Hope this explains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Phoenix wrote: »
    Isn't Estonian Finno-Ugric?

It is - but if the Nordic language forum only caters for Nordic languages, then Finnish should not be here either.

It should and it is.

If you have an issue with my modding decision feel free to get in touch with any of the Category Mods: Dades, nesf, Scofflaw.
    If you think Nordics should exclude Finnish or include Estonian maybe Sys/Feedback forum would be good for the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭syntax1

Heem, I would support having Estonian in the Nordic forum seeing as Estonia is culturally a Nordic country.

However, there is hardly any one interested in Estonian or Estonia so it probably doesn't matter either way.

I don't understand though why biko has to be so pedantic. It wasn't a big violation in misplacement. After all, there is no Finnic/Finno-Ugric/Uralic forum and it wasn't as if Rasmus posted in the Scandinavian languages forum (which also doesn't exist).

As for Finnish, Finland is both culturally and politically a Nordic country, while neither it nor its language is Scandinavian. However, Finnish should stay in the Nordic forum as the public at large associate Finland closely with Scandinavia.

Advertisement