Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capping 300ml Heineken longneck bottles

Options
  • 25-01-2013 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I've got probably 200+ of these and heard yesterday that the tops often break when capping? Has anyone got expierence of capping these bottles? Bottling 40 litres of cider at the weekend and wondering should I buy different bottles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've capped longnecks before and don't recall any ever breaking, but they're a pain to use as it takes longer to sterilize and fill them, and you lose more beer to the sediment when you're pouring them. 500ml or pint bottles all the way IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Depends on the capper you are using, but I've had them shatter on me in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Sediment? Am making cider from Lidl apple juice, usually tip the end of the bottle down me gob :D

All I know about the capper is it's one I got in the original kit I bought, two handled affair.

I have 500ml swing tops but I had a problem with my last brew so, I'm going to mix it up use some 300ml long necks, both bulmers and heineken. I'll also use the original 500ml swing tops I had, except I bought new seals yesterday so I will use half new seals and half original seals. That should identify the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sediment? Am making cider from Lidl apple juice, usually tip the end of the bottle down me gob :D

I think that can have some...eh...unpleasant gastric side effects. :D I always leave about 30-40ml in the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Khannie wrote: »
    I think that can have some...eh...unpleasant gastric side effects. :D I always leave about 30-40ml in the bottle.

:D

I'll have to watch that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Khannie wrote: »

Isn't that only if the yeast is still alive though??

I thought dead yeast did nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Isn't that only if the yeast is still alive though??

I thought dead yeast did nothing?

The yeast *is* alive.

Advertisement