Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny in Davos

• 25-01-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this interview and what do you think? Will FG / L ever stop trying to blame FF and actually get on with the promise they made? It seems that they don't even recognise the difference between the interview in front of the whole Europe or in the Dail!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The man is just so uninspiring. Painful to watch. Only FF were so bad this man would not be our leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Comments disabled on the Government's youtube page for this interview I see. Wonder why!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What did you want him to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

New government??? He's been Taoiseach for almost as long as Brian Cowen was at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

jank wrote: »

I personally would want him to give a straight forward answer to a a question instead of consistantly trotting out the 'we inherited a huge pile of poo' answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Its not saying much but at least this year he didn't repeat the Brian Lenihan line that we all partied. Instaed he reverted to [his uninspiring] type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not him. The general public. It would allow him to get an insight into what the public's view of his performance as Taoiseash is. His facebook and twitter accounts are never responded to by him after his initial posting.

DenMan wrote: »
    It would allow him to get an insight into what the public's view of his performance as Taoiseash is. His facebook and twitter accounts are never responded to by him after his initial posting.

I would bet a large amount of money that he cares much more about what he is going to have with his cup of tea tonight than what the general public thinks of his preformance as Taoiseach. As far as I am concerned he doesn't give a flying fcuk what the average Irish person thinks

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Not him. The general public. It would allow him to get an insight into what the public's view of his performance as Taoiseash is.
    The day the government sets policy based on YouTube comments is the day I emigrate without pausing to pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

How about saying that we need help from our European partners and not just heavily loaded interest rates on the cash we borrow? How about saying yes we have burdened all this debt so far and have shown we do want to work with Europe but at this stage it's time for Europe to show us the same level of cooperation.

How about showing Europe some guts and telling them we have had enough!

No instead they bow to all and "turn the other cheek" while spouting the same rubbish they did since they got in to the cushy job.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    The day the government sets policy based on YouTube comments is the day I emigrate without pausing to pack.

How about they simply do what they promised instead of going on and on about what they got when they got the office?

Can I ask you than, are you happy with what they are doing so far?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Something about Jean McConville

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    How about saying that we need help from our European partners and not just heavily loaded interest rates on the cash we borrow? How about saying yes we have burdened all this debt so far and have shown we do want to work with Europe but at this stage it's time for Europe to show us the same level of cooperation.

No instead they bow to all and "turn the other cheek" while spouting the same rubbish they did since they got in to the cushy job.

How about they simply do what they promised instead of going on and on about what they got when they got the office?

Eh, I think the best place to do what you are saying is in private meetings and not on a TV interview. If you think the scope of what is discussed between our Government and European Governments is only what is on TV, I am sad to say, you may need to read up a bit more.

Regarding FG/Lab progress so far, yes, I think they have done pretty well considering the situation. I can't imagine any other Government doing more. Apart from FF, the rest simply want to say "f**k Europe" but then say "can I still get your money please". But again, if you think our economic woes were going to be solved since FF got booted out in a year or two, you may need to read up a bit more. It's a long road.

MintyDoris wrote: »
    I would bet a large amount of money that he cares much more about what he is going to have with his cup of tea tonight than what the general public thinks of his preformance as Taoiseach. As far as I am concerned he doesn't give a flying fcuk what the average Irish person thinks

:confused: You're not serious are you?

Come on, every single TD care about the general public think and to pretend otherwise seems daft.

One reason...wait for it...

To be elected and re-elected.

You don't get to be a TD since 1975 by not giving "flying f**k" about the average Irish person, and that goes for all of them. The minute they actually do stop giving a damn, they often end up, not elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Like David Cameron has? That's worked for him in Europe just as well as it would work for us - not at all.

The place for those kinds of comments is in private, negotiating in front of a camera is a Charlie McCreevy type stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I agree with everyone when they say that he is very uninspiring, and really has shown no leadership He could at least have cut or refused to take all of his qwn salary anything at all to show solidarity. It was only when Brian Cowen displayed complete incompetance did he look like a suitable alternative.

Added to that he was given a reforming mandate from the electorate and has done nothing with that. He has been very conservative and has not done a thing to investigate the cause of the bank collapse, I am assuming that Alan Dukes appointment to the Head of Anglo by a FF Government has something to do with it.

one thing he is very right about is that FF did leave them with this mess and it is going to take more than 2 years and probably more than 5 years to fix unless the world economy gets back on its feet.

WE Are DOOMed

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm not sure what that has to do with YouTube comments.
    Meh. They haven't lit my world on fire, but for the most part they've knuckled down and set about repairing a devastated economy while handcuffed by powerful vested interests. They could have done some things better, but they could have done a lot of things a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Come on, every single TD care about the general public think and to pretend otherwise seems daft.

You don't get to be a TD since 1975 by not giving "flying f**k" about the average Irish person, and that goes for all of them. The minute they actually do stop giving a damn, they often end up, not elected.

You don't really think the current lot plan to be re-elected do you?

Kenny, Gilmore and the rest of the senior "leadership" will take the money and run, just as Cowen and co did before them.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    You don't really think the current lot plan to be re-elected do you?

Kenny, Gilmore and the rest of the senior "leadership" will take the money and run, just as Cowen and co did before them.

That sounds more like a conspiracy theory to be fair. But to try and be open, I would welcome a bit more detail. Is the basic conspiracy that senior leadership, involving two political parties, with TDs who have served for decades, and others who have only recently joined politics, conspired to get into Government just so they could say "f**k the average people" and run away at the next election. So pretty much, we have had a conspiracy since the mid 70s, decades and decades of planning, so they can have 4 years in Government, and then run away? :confused:

I am going to be honest, thats a pretty gay conspiracy.

Sorry let me be clear. He (or his PR team who I personally believe are behind 99% of his public persona) pretends to care very much about the opinion of every voter. However, what he is doing to protecting his vote with the people who he knows will vote for him. Enda gives a great impression of being a caring and morally driven man when I think its naive to accept this at face value.

For example, I reckon that Enda has not and will not discuss the abortion issue as he knows a lot of his supporters hold very religious views and in an effort to keep those votes will not rock the boat and give these people a reason to stop voting for him. I also beleive this tack is what has kept him in his TD role to date

Also, I can't quite accept that James Reilly cares about the general national wide Irish opinion of his perforamance. I mean he got his two health centres in his own constituancy and that was that. Tough luck to the needs of the rest of the country who require the services.

Sorry let me be clear. He (or his PR team who I personally believe are behind 99% of his public persona) pretends to care very much about the opinion of every voter. However, what he is doing to protecting his vote with the people who he knows will vote for him. Enda gives a great impression of being a caring and morally driven man when I think its naive to accept this at face value.

For example, I reckon that Enda has not and will not discuss the abortion issue as he knows a lot of his supporters hold very religious views and in an effort to keep those votes will not rock the boat and give these people a reason to stop voting for him. I also beleive this tack is what has kept him in his TD role to date

Okay. So tackling your fist paragraph, your saying Enda pretends to care, implying he actually doesn't. Yet, he has managed to con his electorate for past few decades. That's pretty much the conspiracy right? Not based on any facts, just your belief he is, well, a con-artist.

Second paragraph. Well, I am pro-choice but as many people in the politics forum have written in last few weeks, there is certainly a large part of rural Ireland who are not. Regarding Enda, for someone who has not and will not discuss abortion, he is doing a really lousy job as leader of Govenment as it has been in media spotlight for a long time now, and we even had hearings very recently, expert report was published and many members of his Government speaking out, giving opinions etc. So basically, all I can take from that is you probably think he is a terrible leader because this is a guy who wants to avoid abortion at all costs, but then his Government is doing a huge amount of work in the public eye regarding legislating for abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I used to think the same as you, I was wrong

They care about one particular section of the general public, the section that votes, the rest they systematically abuse, not they(as in the individual politician)as such, the system abuses them, the system they regulate

Take an everyday example

A 23 year old man gets a two year suspended sentence, a man with 50 previous convictions....general uproar from the public, the description "scumbag" will be bandied about...that man's life is destined to end in addiction/prison/suicide, tragically, the chances of that man turning his life around is extremely slim...

Where am I going with this and what has it to do with the thread...

Well go back to the man's youth, high probability of a severely dysfunctional upbringing, because his mother had him in her teens to secure local authority housing and child allowances, because she is a teen with a poor education she know no better, three kids on and no help to raise her kids leaves her mentally weak, slips into addiction, abandons her kids to the streets, who then grow up with no education, in a world where everyone outside their particular estate seem loaded, fills these kids with a mix of hatred/lack of respect/anger etc etc, go on to get convicted 50 times (leaving 50 victims in his wake)....but crucially on each occasion receive "Free Legal aid"(those solicitors are voters) at each conviction...that man has probably generated over €150,000 in legal fees in a six year period...multiply that by say 200 other kids in similar circumstances over the same period...you begin to get the picture

That estate he came from is home to 40 QUANGO's employing a lot of people...all government employees( also voters) as such...who assist the HSE (filled with voters)in "helping" these people..we create a training body to help kids who fall out of the educational system...call it FAS give it €1bn per year to "help" these kids...FAS employs a whole heap of people, (or voters)....of course the kicker is these organisations depend on the continuing existence of these tragic circumstances to justify their existence...

I realise how tragic that picture I just painted is, but it was once described to me that "Poverty in this country is a business"...I felt sick that I had been a member of a political party that governed in such a way...

You do not survive that length of time in politics with knowing how to play the system...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Comments disabled on the Government's youtube page for this interview I see. Wonder why!

Probably for the best. Youtube comments are beyond retarded at the best of times.

Okay. So tackling your fist paragraph, your saying Enda pretends to care, implying he actually doesn't. Yet, he has managed to con his electorate for past few decades. That's pretty much the conspiracy right? Not based on any facts, just your belief he is, well, a con-artist.

Second paragraph. Well, I am pro-choice but as many people in the politics forum have written in last few weeks, there is certainly a large part of rural Ireland who are not. Regarding Enda, for someone who has not and will not discuss abortion, he is doing a really lousy job as leader of Govenment as it has been in media spotlight for a long time now, and we even had hearings very recently, expert report was published and many members of his Government speaking out, giving opinions etc. So basically, all I can take from that is you probably think he is a terrible leader because this is a guy who wants to avoid abortion at all costs, but then his Government is doing a huge amount of work in the public eye regarding legislating for abortion.

You like the idea of a conspiracy, don't you? Yes, I believe Enda and the party he leads are playing a game. I am not sure if all TDs are playing this 'game' but lets for a moment say that they aren't. Personally, I am not really a fan of Luke Flanagan. I think a lot of what he comes out with and how he acts is really not appropriate for a TD. However he has passion and he speaks eloquently. That I admire. Stephen Donnelly is another example. He speaks in an educated and highly professional manner. Mary Lou McDonald is another example. A motivational speaker who is not afraid to to speak her mind and to call out the government when they trot out the same old lines. That is what Enda has none of. He has no flair, no passion. He has no personality, no empathy for the real problems of real people in this country and sure why would he? The sheer amount of money he is making puts him so out of touch with the people he is supposed to represent. He says nothing and does nothing that will rock the boat to his core group of voters who have helped to ensure he has stayed in the Dail in some capacity. He plays the game well. My belief is based on what I see of Mr Kenny. I don't feel he has accomplished anything of real note on a national level during his career as a politician. I am not sure what you mean by my posts not being based on facts :confused: All I am doing is giving my opinion

Exactly, he won't allow himself to be seen to be a part of the whole 'nasty' business of abortion debate. He is smart enough to know he will alienate people if he does that and these people are an important part of keeping him where he is.

Sadly, I think there are enough 'sheeple' in this country that he will continue as he is and if you were to ask around parts of Mayo, you will still hear the same thing - 'Ah Enda, a great man. Done a lot for these parts' My problem is that as the leader of this country and my supposed representative to the whole world, I cringe everytime I hear his voice. He and his behaviour in no way represent me as an Irish citizen.

You like the idea of a conspiracy, don't you? Yes, I believe Enda and the party he leads are playing a game. I am not sure if all TDs are playing this 'game' but lets for a moment say that they aren't. Personally, I am not really a fan of Luke Flanagan. I think a lot of what he comes out with and how he acts is really not appropriate for a TD. However he has passion and he speaks eloquently. That I admire. Stephen Donnelly is another example. He speaks in an educated and highly professional manner. Mary Lou McDonald is another example. A motivational speaker who is not afraid to to speak her mind and to call out the government when they trot out the same old lines. That is what Enda has none of. He has no flair, no passion. He has no personality, no empathy for the real problems of real people in this country and sure why would he? The sheer amount of money he is making puts him so out of touch with the people he is supposed to represent. He says nothing and does nothing that will rock the boat to his core group of voters who have helped to ensure he has stayed in the Dail in some capacity. He plays the game well. My belief is based on what I see of Mr Kenny. I don't feel he has accomplished anything of real note on a national level during his career as a politician. I am not sure what you mean by my posts not being based on facts :confused: All I am doing is giving my opinion

Fair enough, it is your opinion.

You did say regarding Enda "He (or his PR team who I personally believe are behind 99% of his public persona)". So my point is, you seem to be basing this argument on public remarks and interviews. Indeed this seems to be strengthened when you compare Enda to very new TDs and their public persona. My only counter point with this is, I would be very critical of ALL TDs and their public remarks as they would certainly not be natural and very scripted as much as much as Endas.

I would also say that these public statements/interviews that you are judging are only a tiny % of what TDs actually do.

Lastly, context. It is a million times easier to be sitting in opposition giving grandiose and passionate speeches when there is no decisions to be made and no responsibility for these decisions.

Enda: Has to make speeches regarding deficits, attempts at balancing books and basically, cutting the cloth which always is going to have an effect on some part of the population.

Mary-Lou/Stephen/Ming: They don't have to do this. I actually like Stephen Donnelly and think he is very realistic and capable politican. As for Mary Lou, well no, empty populist, money grows on trees nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Seemed very good interview to me........seemed on top of all the details...

not tongue tied......clear lucid .......not drunk or slurred....giving credit to the

Irish people........good head of hair for a man of his age.....looks well groomed..

steady in tone .....not phased by the big numbers....3 billion here ...3 billion..

there.....could have done a lot worse..... a very polished interview....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Park Royal wrote: »
    Seemed very good interview to me........seemed on top of all the details...

not tongue tied......clear lucid .......not drunk or slurred....giving credit to the

Irish people........good head of hair for a man of his age.....looks well groomed..

steady in tone .....not phased by the big numbers....3 billion here ...3 billion..

there.....could have done a lot worse..... a very polished interview....

I agree sounded good a credible performance. Main thing is he didn't make a fool of us on TV. (Yes Brian Cowen I'm looking at you!)

Enda is so milk and watery that on that one media performance you might think that Ireland was getting its act together, so we had elected a very Staid economist who was fixing the problem. Go Enda!

Fair enough, it is your opinion.

You did say regarding Enda "He (or his PR team who I personally believe are behind 99% of his public persona)". So my point is, you seem to be basing this argument on public remarks and interviews. Indeed this seems to be strengthened when you compare Enda to very new TDs and their public persona. My only counter point with this is, I would be very critical of ALL TDs and their public remarks as they would certainly not be natural and very scripted as much as much as Endas.

Are you saying that other TDs have a better or worse public persona that Enda Kenny? Certainly a difference when comparing the likes of Stephen Donnelly and Enda Kenny. There is just no comparison regarding a switched on and educated public persona ... and Enda
    I would also say that these public statements/interviews that you are judging are only a tiny % of what TDs actually do.

Short of meeting them in person, I don't really understand what else I am supposed to base it on:confused: I watch Dail debates and televised debates, I read the newspapers. However I also base my opinion on things that TDs don't do such as Enda refusing to enter into a televised election debate just because Vincent Browne was to host the show. Indeed, even after Mr Browne offered to step down as host in order for Enda to participate, Enda still refused. It reminded me of a petulant child. A man who is supposed to be able to lead our country could not put a personal grievence behind him to take part in something that I consider part of his job. And even further, after his election, despite numerous invites from TV3 to take part in debates, he still refuses. I don't know where he gets off! It's as if he feels it's below him
    Lastly, context. It is a million times easier to be sitting in opposition giving grandiose and passionate speeches when there is no decisions to be made and no responsibility for these decisions.

Enda: Has to make speeches regarding deficits, attempts at balancing books and basically, cutting the cloth which always is going to have an effect on some part of the population.

Mary-Lou/Stephen/Ming: They don't have to do this. I actually like Stephen Donnelly and think he is very realistic and capable politican. As for Mary Lou, well no, empty populist, money grows on trees nonsense.

What would be the point in Mary-Lou/Stephen/Ming being a TD if they dont do this?! The reason for an opposition is to debate and to have an open dialogue with the current government regarding state matters. Do you think it was acceptable for Eamonn Gilmore to be permitted to make a comment asking Sinn Fein how many bodies are buried up in the Wicklow Mountains because of them? Hardly professional conduct and completely inappropriate behaviour in the Dail and in all fairness a comment of similar nature has not been made by any other TD! It's become farcical!

Enda sat in opposition for many years. Don't forget Labour and Fine Gael were elected by the people to the majority in the Dail because of their work and promises made to the people of Ireland while in opposition. It was this work and these promises that offered people a glimpse of hope for change and the 5 point plan of promises during the run up to election

When I bring up Mary-Lou, I am not refering to what she says - I am refering to how she presents herself. Her speeches, and I am particularly refering of the speech she gave in the Dail on Budget Day are impassioned, structured and well written. Factually based and without flight and fancy.

If you would like an example of how I believe a Taoiseach should be able to speak, have a look at Stephen Donnelly speaking to the Public Interest Directors from Bank of Ireland and AIB, Joe Walsh and Tom Consadine and Chairman Ciaran Lynch. Its a confrontational and sensitive matter and he was quite clearly very clued in on the subject matter. An excellent example of a public speaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Are you saying that other TDs have a better or worse public persona that Enda Kenny? Certainly a difference when comparing the likes of Stephen Donnelly and Enda Kenny. There is just no comparison regarding a switched on and educated public persona ... and Enda

Short of meeting them in person, I don't really understand what else I am supposed to base it on:confused: I watch Dail debates and televised debates, I read the newspapers. However I also base my opinion on things that TDs don't do such as Enda refusing to enter into a televised election debate just because Vincent Browne was to host the show. Indeed, even after Mr Browne offered to step down as host in order for Enda to participate, Enda still refused. It reminded me of a petulant child. A man who is supposed to be able to lead our country could not put a personal grievence behind him to take part in something that I consider part of his job. And even further, after his election, despite numerous invites from TV3 to take part in debates, he still refuses. I don't know where he gets off! It's as if he feels it's below him

What would be the point in Mary-Lou/Stephen/Ming being a TD if they dont do this?! The reason for an opposition is to debate and to have an open dialogue with the current government regarding state matters. Do you think it was acceptable for Eamonn Gilmore to be permitted to make a comment asking Sinn Fein how many bodies are buried up in the Wicklow Mountains because of them? Hardly professional conduct and completely inappropriate behaviour in the Dail and in all fairness a comment of similar nature has not been made by any other TD! It's become farcical!

Enda sat in opposition for many years. Don't forget Labour and Fine Gael were elected by the people to the majority in the Dail because of their work and promises made to the people of Ireland while in opposition. It was this work and these promises that offered people a glimpse of hope for change and the 5 point plan of promises during the run up to election

When I bring up Mary-Lou, I am not refering to what she says - I am refering to how she presents herself. Her speeches, and I am particularly refering of the speech she gave in the Dail on Budget Day are impassioned, structured and well written. Factually based and without flight and fancy.

If you would like an example of how I believe a Taoiseach should be able to speak, have a look at Stephen Donnelly speaking to the Public Interest Directors from Bank of Ireland and AIB, Joe Walsh and Tom Consadine and Chairman Ciaran Lynch. Its a confrontational and sensitive matter and he was quite clearly very clued in on the subject matter. An excellent example of a public speaker

You main point seems to be that Kenny is not a good public speaker and has no charisma.

Remember our last Taoiseach that had charisma, look at where that got us

Look at inspirational politicians like Obama, he may be able to talk the talk but he is not getting much done in the US

As long as Kenny can manage Government and deal with Europe I really don't care how little flare he has.

You main point seems to be that Kenny is not a good public speaker and has no charisma.

Remember our last Taoiseach that had charisma, look at where that got us

Look at inspirational politicians like Obama, he may be able to talk the talk but he is not getting much done in the US

As long as Kenny can manage Government and deal with Europe I really don't care how little flare he has.

Yes, I dislike that Enda is a poor public speaker and that he had no charisma but what I dislike even more is that he and the current government continually and consistently refuse to give a straight answer to a straight question. I am sick of them deflecting questions and when they can't come up with some bull crap answer, oh look, it's time to blame FF again. They knew when they ran for election what the job entailed. It's no bloody good now trotting out that line when they knew what they were facing. If they aren't up to the job, they shouldn't have run for election. The implementation of the household charge has, from beginning to end, been an almighty cock up. The use of tax payers money to blatantly canvass a yes vote in the fiscal treaty when THEIR JOB is to provide unbiased information - another example of how the current government do what they want and sod what's right - legally or morally

Do you believe he is managing the government and Europe? My previous example of Eamon Gilmore's comment in the Dail shows Enda can't control his own coalition members, never mind running the country. And as for Europe; we're a laughing stock. Who is going to take us seriously with this drip of a man representing us? The time and effort Enda has spent working in Europe and one thing has changed for us for the better.

• Advertisement

Yes, I dislike that Enda is a poor public speaker and that he had no charisma but what I dislike even more is that he and the current government continually and consistently refuse to give a straight answer to a straight question. I am sick of them deflecting questions and when they can't come up with some bull crap answer, oh look, it's time to blame FF again. They knew when they ran for election what the job entailed. It's no bloody good now trotting out that line when they knew what they were facing. If they aren't up to the job, they shouldn't have run for election. The implementation of the household charge has, from beginning to end, been an almighty cock up. The use of tax payers money to blatantly canvass a yes vote in the fiscal treaty when THEIR JOB is to provide unbiased information - another example of how the current government do what they want and sod what's right - legally or morally

Do you believe he is managing the government and Europe? My previous example of Eamon Gilmore's comment in the Dail shows Enda can't control his own coalition members, never mind running the country. And as for Europe; we're a laughing stock. Who is going to take us seriously with this drip of a man representing us? The time and effort Enda has spent working in Europe and one thing has changed for us for the better.

Explain how we are 'the laughing stock of Europe', ?
    I wad under the impression that we were respected in Europe for getting on with the job in hand, unlike Greece and to a lesser extent Spain and Italy

And if the best you can do is criticise the govt for their misuse of funds for a referendum then you really are only interested in the style and not the substance.

I wad under the impression that we were respected in Europe for getting on with the job in hand, unlike Greece and to a lesser extent Spain and Italy

And if the best you can do is criticise the govt for their misuse of funds for a referendum then you really are only interested in the style and not the substance.

We are 'respected' by some because we say nothing, bend over and take whatever we are told to do like the goid little country we are. The picture of Enda having his hair ruffled by the French President sums it up completely for me. As far as Europe sees it, we've no balls

The ILLEGAL use of yours and my money is just one example off the top of my head. I hardly think that's a small issue. I think it's a symptom of something far more serious

So you are saying that we are respected in Europe? What is that based on? The only one who said we are is Ends himself and his PR.

If Greece, Spain and others you mentioned were not respected with in Europe it is interesting how they got much better deals than Ireland has.

All we are seen is as a soft touch who will bow down to everyone at any cost. Perfect examples are the recent discussions on promissory notes. We are going to be paying for god knows how long all the debt for gambles others did at the expense of our futures.

In relation to misusing the funds, are you serious? If they are quick to break one rule this quick how quick will they do it again for another thing to benefit them.

I'm surprised how no one had mentioned Iceland and how they dealt with the problem. Guess what, they are on the way out but their government focused on the country and the people not their own pockets.

Opps, I just realised that I miss read your post.
    It was the Children's referendum that the problem with the literature was not the fiscal,compact referendum.

So can you come up with anything better than ambiguous literature in a referendum that had the second lowest turnout in 40 years ?

Opps, I just realised that I miss read your post.
    It was the Children's referendum that the problem with the literature was not the fiscal,compact referendum.

So can you come up with anything better than ambiguous literature in a referendum that had the second lowest turnout in 40 years ?

Yes sorry the website and documentation for the children's referendum was ruled biased by the high court. However, there was also some questions raised over the wording of one of the fiscal treaty booklets that was distributed nationwide. That booklet called it the Stability Treaty. Hardly neutral use of language on a supposed unbiased piece of government published literature that again, you and I have paid for.

Can you clarify exactly what you would like examples of? My examples may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things but personally I reckon if they will use funds illegally for this, what else are they doing? Peanut2011 put it very well in his/her post above.

Just came across a perfect example how every TD cares about general public:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-projects-left-stalled-as-two-hospitals-fasttracked-by-minister-3369054.html

It would seem that unless you are in his constituency you are not regarded as general pubic than!

• Advertisement

Yes sorry the website and documentation for the children's referendum was ruled biased by the high court. However, there was also some questions raised over the wording of one of the fiscal treaty booklets that was distributed nationwide. That booklet called it the Stability Treaty. Hardly neutral use of language on a supposed unbiased piece of government published literature that again, you and I have paid for.

Can you clarify exactly what you would like examples of? My examples may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things but personally I reckon if they will use funds illegally for this, what else are they doing? Peanut2011 put it very well in his/her post above.

How we are the 'laughing stock of Europe'

So you are saying that we are respected in Europe? What is that based on? The only one who said we are is Ends himself and his PR.

If Greece, Spain and others you mentioned were not respected with in Europe it is interesting how they got much better deals than Ireland has.

All we are seen is as a soft touch who will bow down to everyone at any cost. Perfect examples are the recent discussions on promissory notes. We are going to be paying for god knows how long all the debt for gambles others did at the expense of our futures.

In relation to misusing the funds, are you serious? If they are quick to break one rule this quick how quick will they do it again for another thing to benefit them.

I'm surprised how no one had mentioned Iceland and how they dealt with the problem. Guess what, they are on the way out but their government focused on the country and the people not their own pockets.

Spain got a better deal beacuse they are the 4th biggest economy in Europe, it sucks for us but that's the reality.

At least the Govt are banging the drum about it and highlighting that we need a better deal too, and they are constantly in discussions about the promissory notes, the rates, the terms etc.
    The last Govt keep telling us up to election day that the bailout could not be renegotiated

The fact that we are getting constant good reviews from the Troika shows that we are respected in Europe, we are respected because we can get on with the job and handle it.
    Unlike Greece where there have already been two bail-outs and each time an instalment is due there is an all night summit meeting to decide if they have done enough to receive it.
    I'd image most would like Greece to leave the Euro and even the EU altogether if it where not for the fact that no one knows how an exit would turn out.

As for Iceland there is a thread about it here , and if you read it you will see that its not as black and white as people like to think.
    The other thing about Iceland is that they are not tied to any economic or political bloc, thus allowing them to act unilaterally much easier than we ever could

At least the Govt are banging the drum about it and highlighting that we need a better deal too

Banging the drum and actually demanding something is done are two different things. You can bang the drum all you like and no one will ever even notice it.

The last Govt keep telling us up to election day that the bailout could not be renegotiated

The old government got what they were due, does not mean the new ones can ride the excuse train until cows come home!
    The fact that we are getting constant good reviews from the Troika shows that we are respected in Europe,

Good review is an equivalent of "good boy" when the puppy brings back the stick you threw. They want the government to keep obeying their master so of course they going to praise them. The government is so concerned about keeping their EU / IMF master happy that they do anything they could at the detriment of Irish people.

The other thing about Iceland is that they are not tied to any economic or political bloc, thus allowing them to act unilaterally much easier than we ever could

Exactly, they are not tied to political bloc. Ireland would have been better off doing all that from the scratch but than our politicians would not have been able to keep drawing their 3 pensions and massive salaries! All those changes Enda and Co promised have been forgotten about as even Pat Rabbit has admitted they only have one lender in town and they call the shots!

Banging the drum and actually demanding something is done are two different things. You can bang the drum all you like and no one will ever even notice it.

The old government got what they were due, does not mean the new ones can ride the excuse train until cows come home!

Good review is an equivalent of "good boy" when the puppy brings back the stick you threw. They want the government to keep obeying their master so of course they going to praise them. The government is so concerned about keeping their EU / IMF master happy that they do anything they could at the detriment of Irish people.

Exactly, they are not tied to political bloc. Ireland would have been better off doing all that from the scratch but than our politicians would not have been able to keep drawing their 3 pensions and massive salaries! All those changes Enda and Co promised have been forgotten about as even Pat Rabbit has admitted they only have one lender in town and they call the shots!

Yea you are right, we should have said F**k you EU and Euro we will do this our own way and find our own funding.

I don't know if you notice but out 10y bond is down around 4%, it was at close to 12% in May 2011.

Stupid plank Kenny and his Govt, doing nothing right .

Yea you are right, we should have said F**k you EU and Euro we will do this our own way and find our own funding.

I don't know if you notice but out 10y bond is down around 4%, it was at close to 12% in May 2011.

Stupid plank Kenny and his Govt, doing nothing right .

Glad we finally agree!

• Advertisement

Glad we finally agree!

Great post

I was expecting some sort of rebuttal but hey maybe you are struggling to find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think we can all agree that Enda is doing a great job for his European masters but not necessarily for the Irish people.

The counter argument that serving Europe well and being the good boy will have a pay off for Ireland has yet to be seen sadly.

Even if that comes to fruition it will not bring home the many who have emigrated or bring back the businesses that are boarded up in every town.

I just hope this strategy of blind compliance has something more than a pay off of - We get to borrow money cheaper to keep the unsustainable model going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I do agree with Kenny that ff left us and his government in the sh*tter.
    There is no denying that and even though some ffers in disguise may try and muddy the water it is the bloody truth.

And contrary to what SF, the ULA, etc claim we can't just tell Europe or the IMF pi** off and still expect them to give us money to continue as is.

I am not happy with a lot of things that the current government have done or rather have failed to do.
    I would rather have a single party FG government, that was more economically liberal, and not constrained by the labour party populated by some long term friends of the unions.
    But the Irish electorate didn't want that.
    Fooking electorate screwing us once again.

I believe Kenny and the government are indeed trying to negotiate, but it is by playing nicely nicely.
    They probably realise that they have shag all bargaining power bar.
    It looks like they hope by being a good little boy doing as we are told, that the best boy in the class of delinquents gets rewarded.

The time when we had a strong bargaining position was when our demise could have had a huge knock on effect on both the Euro and indeed the EU.
    Our demise would also have hugely affected sterling and indeed ultimately the dollar.
    That was all pre bailout and around time of intitial bank guarantee.
    The then government blinked, shat themselves, bent over and made sure we were all going to be bending over for years.

Now we have a cr** hand and we are playing with a few chips lent to us by the big guys at the table.
    Will we get anywhere ?
    I really doubt it.

People should not forget our best friend in the troika appears to be the IMF.
    People should also not forget the EU institutions and other member states, the ECB and the US are not our friends when it comes to "our debts".

As for charisma, Obama the king of political charisma and inspired leadership that all current leaders are meaured against, hasn't really achieved a lot and nobody know what his legacy will really be.

As for telling the EU where to go, Cameron can because he is the leader of a much more powerful country which is not even in the Euro.
    What it will achieve is hard to know ?
    Some might even say his stance may even hasten the independence of Scotland and the dissolution of the union.

I am not allowed discuss …

Just came across a perfect example how every TD cares about general public:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-projects-left-stalled-as-two-hospitals-fasttracked-by-minister-3369054.html

It would seem that unless you are in his constituency you are not regarded as general pubic than!

You forgot to quote my next sentence ;) The whole reason I said TDs do care about people i.e. voters because of elections and being elected. So your example does pretty much back my own opinion anyway :pac:

golfball37 wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that Enda is doing a great job for his European masters but not necessarily for the Irish people.

The counter argument that serving Europe well and being the good boy will have a pay off for Ireland has yet to be seen sadly.

Even if that comes to fruition it will not bring home the many who have emigrated or bring back the businesses that are boarded up in every town.

I just hope this strategy of blind compliance has something more than a pay off of - We get to borrow money cheaper to keep the unsustainable model going.

Unless you have a better idea about how to raise money, how to borrow money at reasonable rates, how to ensure the commercial paper market keeps going from day to day..but I am not seeing any ideas in your post.

You forgot to quote my next sentence ;) The whole reason I said TDs do care about people i.e. voters because of elections and being elected. So your example does pretty much back my own opinion anyway :pac:

The difference being their constituent opposed to general public. What is good for Mayo or Dublin may not be good for whole country, but that does not matter.

Great post

I was expecting some sort of rebuttal but hey maybe you are struggling to find one.

Nothing to rebut, you finally agreed with me.

Unless you have a better idea about how to raise money, how to borrow money at reasonable rates, how to ensure the commercial paper market keeps going from day to day..but I am not seeing any ideas in your post.

Hardly any suggestions coming from your posts. I've put suggestions earlier but for anyone to do anything like that would take real leadership and not for oneself reason to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Nothing to rebut, you finally agreed with me.

Enough of the playground stuff, thanks.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Hardly any suggestions coming from your posts. I've put suggestions earlier but for anyone to do anything like that would take real leadership and not for oneself reason to be there.

Eh, my suggestion is to elect the best government possible at an election, I think we have the best of a bad lot

• Advertisement
Advertisement