Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you set off an alarm with a laser pointer?

Options
  • 25-01-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi guys. I am living out in the country side and looked up into the sky the other night and seen the kid next door playing with lasers, green, blue all sorts.. He has a thing for them..

What got me thinking is that my house alarm keeps activating in the room facing his parents house and when I leave the curtains closed it stays quiet. I have noticed him pointing it over here a few times & even in the windows..

Is it possible that one of his lasers is tricking the PIR into thinking the temp changed in its field of vision? Is there a handheld laser that can do this.. I looked them up and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnzcZj_rqU Could this set off my house alarm.. I kind of want to get my facts straight before I go over and give him a piece of my mind!!!

Thanks for reading!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I would think that the lasers heat would be lost due to distance and by passing through the window pane . But if the heat wasnt entirely lost and the laser was pointed directly at the PIR I couldn't see why it wouldn't cause it to trip . What kind of PIR is it ? It could just be faulty
    Wired or wireless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Take_Her_Handy

Hey Thunderbird2,

It's a wired astec system and that's as far as I go on the knowledge of it. It's not faulty because over the winter I have had curtain / blinds closed most part of the day & no problem.. Only when I open the curtains that sometimes it goes off... About 6 in total. Sun really isn't an issue where the window is.

Just a feeling that what I'm thinking is happening, is happening. No problem caused really, he's doing no real harm. (I was up to worse at his age ) He had an accident when he was 9 and is physically harmed which seems to be prolonged.. I just wanted to know if it could work & draw a conclusion based on whether it would / wouldn't set it off.

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Set the system with the curtain/ blinds open
    Go outside and walk close to the window .
    Leave it armed for a while and see if it goes off

Advertisement