Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query: 3G broadand router with Three.ie

• 25-01-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all, Has anyone got the TP-Link 4G/3G broadband router working with a Three.ie dongle? Product is here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3420 Having logged in to the router under the 3G options there is only a drop down menu for Vodafone, o2 and meteor. Nothing for 3 (three). Anyone get this sort of router working with a three dongle (Huawei e353) Things like dial and apn numbers need to be configured. many thanks, Will

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I am using that router and 3 Ireland is an option. Would you be able to input the details manually APN is 3ireland.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

3internet is a better APN it gives you an open ip to the internet the 3ireland.ie APN id behind a strict NAT router and gets much slower at peak times.

Just from my experiance from both APN's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

You probably got stung with the older version from Amazon. Someone is flogging version 1s with a picture of version 2.

It should say 4g and not 3/3.5g and have three in the drop down menu.

If its a newer version and still hasnt got Three you should just need a firmware update but dont hold your breath as most likely youve been sold an out of date router.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wfitzgerald

Hi Media999 Yep, its version 1. I upgraded the firmware but of course that's still version 1 :-( I sourced the box from DID in clonmel Tipp. I will try bring it back and order a version 2 online instead. If three is on version 2 of the TP-Link that is fantastic. Thanks, Will.

Amazon have just replied to an email saying they now stock the version 2 so id suggest if DID cant get a V2 get it from there. Most youll need to do is update the firmware on the V2.

Let me know if it works please as i might pick one up myself for a sister who asked me about them.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will source it from amazon. Though, i have not seen three.ie on the list of supported isp's on tp-links website.but as you say the version 2 does work.

Hi Guy's,

I emailed TP-Link support with respect to version 2 of the 3g/4g router having support for 3Ireland ISP.

The response was no but the settings could be added manually.

THE ALM, you mentioned you have a drop down for 3Ireland in your router.

Could you tell me the exact model and version of your router?

Media999, you confirmed Amazon are now stocking version 2 of the router.
    Could you point me to a link for that? I only seem to see 3g/3.75g models.

See below for TP-Link Quoted Response:

If your internet service provider is not in the list, please choose manually settings then put in the VPN dial number given by your ISP. Please refer to the following tips:
    1. Upgrade Router’s firmware to the newest one on our official website. Then reset it.
    2. Choose “3G only” as Internet Access.
    3. On “3G” Page, choose your region and your ISP, then double check if the default parameters (such as APN and dial No. etc.) are correct. Contact your ISP for this information if necessary. To manually type in, please choose “Set the Dial Number and APN manually”.
    4. Plug in your 3G modem card, restart the router. Wait for a minute or two. See if it can work normally and get on the Internet.

I have the TP-Link MR3420 V2.1. I purchased this from PCMEGABITS.COM and although cheaper elsewhere it does state that it is the 3G/4G version.

I updated to the latest firmware and when setting up 3 Ireland was listed although I am actually using it on Meteor. Will check it out this evening and can post a screenshot.

Hi THE ALM, Thats great if you could double check this. And thanks for the link also.

here you go, 3Ireland listed on mine anyway

• Advertisement

Email from Amazon
    Hello,

Further to your E-mail, I have received an update from our Fulfilment team regarding the item is version 2. about the product "TP-Link TL-MR3220 150MBPS Wireless Lite N 3G Router".

The response we received from Fullfillment centre is "Bin check confirms the inventory is Version 2.

Warmest regards,"

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Shilpa

Thanks a million guy's. Sorry for late reply, I was offline for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I'm having problems with the Tp Link 3220. I'm also with 3 and using the Huawei E353 USB modem. It just keeps saying 'identifying' when I plug it in and then after 3-4 minutes it says 'unknown device'. I tried updating firmware.

I will try and configure it manually, Does anyone know if I need a specific dial number, or is there a default number I can input. If so can someone please let me know what it is? Or do I have to contact 3 themselves?

David,

My 3/4g tp-link seemed to have issues despite boards.ie member THE ALM having no trouble detecting 3Ireland on his version 2 of the TP-Link.

My dongle was "identified". Click on the status link of the router and look at what it says for 3G/4G USB Modem.

Despite my dongle been identified, I saw no option for 3Ireland under the country selection for Ireland, only vodafone, 02 and meteor.

What I did was chose the meteor Ireland option from the menu and manually modified its APN settings to that of 3Ireland.

I manually added 3Ireland.ie as the APN but I should have used 3internet. Both will work. The Dial Number I used if memory serves me correctly is *99#

Note, I installed this for a friend in Cavan and I live in Tipp. I am due to call round again to change settings to:
    1) APN = 3internet
    2) Use THE ALM's suggested Dial Num of *99***# (see the word file he posted to my queries).

My current settings only provide a internal IP range and not a public (dynamic) IP range. As a consequence, my friend cannot remotely login (via DDNS) to his security camera's. I'll post back here in a week or two to let you know how the the new manual APN settings went.

Grand thanks for the help wfitzgerald

I tried to enter the dial number and APN manually on my TP-Link 3220 but it still would not recognize my USB modem

I am in the process of returning the tp-link 3220 so I might buy the 3420 now as it seems to have worked for everyone

At least Amazons return process is very straightforward

Just to confirm that my MR3420 is going strong and that 3Ireland is listed as already mentioned

What provider and usb modem are you using The ALM?

Are you using 3ireland or did you just observe that its listed?

The router wont recognise my huawei E353 at all.

davidom - I am on meteor as three is not great where I am. 3ireland is listed although that seems to be not always the case with the mr3420.

I am using a e3131 and again this dongle does seem to cause a lot of compatibility issues, mine just plugged in and worked first time so I guess I may be one of the lucky few.

Hi David,

I visited the friends house I setup the TP-Link (version 2) for.

I installed latest firmiware TL-MR3220_V2_121011_ROI for Ireland and done a hard reset.

Still no option for 3Ireland in the menu.

So I was stuck with the manuall settings.

What I have noticed is the network keeps dropping. Whats happening is that the dongle goes from a state of "identified" to a state of "indentifying" every 30mins or so. The TP-Link needs to be constantly rebooted.

You'd be better off buying the b683 from 3ireland. if ur a bill pay customer, it should be 69.99euro.

If youre a student or know a student 02 do broadband for a tenner and router for 30. Best deal ive seen and might be an option for some people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement