Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Cycling Clubs - recommendations?

Options
  • 25-01-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi, Could anyone recommend any cycling clubs in the Meath area?

I'm currently living in Dunshaughlin, so have a few around me (Dunboyne, Trim, Navan). It'll be my first time joining a club - do a lot of rides on my on - anywhere between 30/40km - 100km at an average pace of around 25 kph but am quite anxious about not being able to keep up!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Best to contact the clubs you know of and ask them to let you tag along with them for a few spins, this way you will learn loads about groups riding and also about your own ability, as well as deciding if the type of cycling they do is in common with your own goals. I am in Ratoath I am in the same boat and have latched on a club with intent of joining up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

There's also Clonee which isn't too far away?

Lucan's about 20km away so might be a bit far (but similar to trim/navan) - they have four groups going out on a Saturday so always a group that fits your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Yeah, Clonee would be ok too - Lucan wouldn't be too bad, but I'd be passing Dunboyne and Clonee to get there, so would prob make sense to try one of them. You know much about them?
    I actually emailed the Dunboyne email address given on Cycling Ireland last week and haven't heard anything back, so that's kind of put me off already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

I'm in dunshaughlin too, lets start our own club! ;-) I've looked into the local clubs myself and got the impression that Dunboyne is a fairly serious club about racing and I was looking for a leisure group.I could be wrong on that but it's just what I heard from the members I spoke too. If that's what you are looking for though its great.
    Navan are another very successful club but I believe they have a good leisure section too.
    Been meaning to meet up with the ratoath free wheelers, not really a club just a group spin I think. Haven't got round to it though! Also looking at clonee, only up the road sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Hi, Could anyone recommend any cycling clubs in the Meath area?

A Dunshaughlin group meets at 10 o'C Sat and Sun mornings at the school on the Drumree Rd that would suit your distance and pace. Pm me if you need a contact number.

• Advertisement

A Dunshaughlin group meets at 10 o'C Sat and Sun mornings at the school on the Drumree Rd that would suit your distance and pace. Pm me if you need a contact number.

Thanks victorcarrera - PM sent

marketty wrote: »
    I'm in dunshaughlin too, lets start our own club! ;-) I've looked into the local clubs myself and got the impression that Dunboyne is a fairly serious club about racing and I was looking for a leisure group.I could be wrong on that but it's just what I heard from the members I spoke too. If that's what you are looking for though its great.
    Navan are another very successful club but I believe they have a good leisure section too.
    Been meaning to meet up with the ratoath free wheelers, not really a club just a group spin I think. Haven't got round to it though! Also looking at clonee, only up the road sure.
    That's kind of the impression I got on Dunbyone too.
    More than happy to start something going if there's nothing else around!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Clonee are the club I am interested in, between weather and other commits, I have yet to have a run of weekend spins in succession, but from my time with them, they are a solid bunch and not that racing focused. They have a facebook page and you can make contact through there as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

t'bear wrote: »
    Clonee are the club I am interested in, between weather and other commits, I have yet to have a run of weekend spins in succession, but from my time with them, they are a solid bunch and not that racing focused. They have a facebook page and you can make contact through there as necessary.

Clonee wheelers meet 10 am at the Grasshopper opposite lidl - sat beginners, sun faster group (27 kmh / 90 odd k). Just started the Sunday group and looking to join the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I'm in the same boat after moving to Athboy and want to find out about doing midweek club leagues if possible. Currently with McNally Swords but getting to and from the circuits would be a 120km trek roughly on a Wednesday eve which wouldn't really suit. Also, what times do club rides take place at the weekends in Navan/Dunboyne clubs. Tried calling numbers I found on Google but no answers to both. Left voicemails alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

I'm in the same boat after moving to Athboy and want to find out about doing midweek club leagues if possible. Currently with McNally Swords but getting to and from the circuits would be a 120km trek roughly on a Wednesday eve which wouldn't really suit. Also, what times do club rides take place at the weekends in Navan/Dunboyne clubs. Tried calling numbers I found on Google but no answers to both. Left voicemails alright.

From Athboy you have a choice between Trim and Navan in my view. I recently joined Navan and I am enjoying it. A few league nights remaining. Tuesday 7.30pm at Halfords you can meet the organisers in person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Jump in with us on a Tuesday night league, there are a number of swords lads that visit occasionally. We also do Thursday evening and Sunday morning spins also.

Decent crowd here in Navan, some racers and some leisure.

Navan or Moynalty I'd suggest are your best bets (Trim too). Not sure what time any of them meet, but both Navan & M'ty post a good few updates on spins etc. on their Facebook pages. And as said above, 7.30pm on Tuesdays at Halfords, Navan have their club leagues.
    Dunbyone meet in the main square in the village at 10am on Saturday and Sunday mornings for the club spin

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

Skane Wheelers in Kilmessan. Relatively new club with growing numbers. Leisure spins on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. Depending on numbers the spins are split into 2 groups with avg speeds of 25 to 28kmph in one and 29 to 32kmph in he other. Always looking for new members. Regular updates on spins on Skane Wheelers Facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I think a club just started in Ratoath, might find them with a quick Google or search Facebook

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I think a club just started in Ratoath, might find them with a quick Google or search Facebook
    Ratoath Wheelers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Are you still meeting sat and sun at 10? How many kms do you ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Galego wrote: »
    Are you still meeting sat and sun at 10? How many kms do you ride?

I haven't been out with them for a while but I know it is still going and was 60 to 80Km, a friendly welcoming bunch and 25Kph approx.

Advertisement