Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I change his food?

• 25-01-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    thinking about my puppy food.
    The first bad I bought was James Wellbeloved fish for puppies..
    He liked it..
    Then I didn't find where I was going so I bought a 15 kg of Hill's Science puppy with chicken.
    He is fine, he likes it and doesn't seem to have problems..
    but...
    ahem... a bit of.. not nice air coming out from him :o

Maybe the food is "too rich" ?

My previous dog solved a lot of health problems with forza10 fish.. I was thinking again to james wellbeloved but I heard good about royal canin or orijen or I don't know!

I don't want to waste all my salary in dog food but I prefer to spend a bit more and save in vet visits :) that's my experience at least from the past..

What do you suggest?
    Thanks!
    (I would like to buy online, on zooplus or amazon..)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Puppy-Dry/dp/B003EGIXXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359123113&sr=8-1

I am feeding my dog on Skinners adult food having found out about it on boards. If you are trying to save money then it is a good alternative to the more expensive brands. Or else just switch him back to the wellbeloved since he was doing well on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

OP did you change the food suddenly and recently? The 'windypops' could just be your puppy adjusting to the new food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Puppy-Dry/dp/B003EGIXXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359123113&sr=8-1

I am feeding my dog on Skinners adult food having found out about it on boards. If you are trying to save money then it is a good alternative to the more expensive brands. Or else just switch him back to the wellbeloved since he was doing well on it.

+1 for skinners from amazon. Free delivery on a subscription is very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Hills is an ok food where as JWB is a much better quality food - if your dog has bad gas it indicates that the food is not agreeing with him so I would advise you switch back to the JWB as a) it is a better quality food and b) it agreed with your dog.

When you are switching, do it over a week or so to allow your dogs digestive system adjust to the new food slowly. Otherwise your dog may end up with a dodgy belly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

No, I don't care "that much" to save money.. obviously don't want to waste either..
    I will try again with JWB if you think that is a good quality..
    It's 1 month that he is on science hills..

• Advertisement

jsabina wrote: »
    No, I don't care "that much" to save money.. obviously don't want to waste either..
    I will try again with JWB if you think that is a good quality..
    It's 1 month that he is on science hills..

If your dog is still having very bad gas after a month of being on a food, it clearly isn't agreeing with him (I assumed you changed a week ago or something!). If the JWB did agree then it is defo the better choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Did you switch the food suddenly? What works for one dog might not work for another so it's trial and error. Have you considered the Raw diet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

no i changed 1 month ago... and not suddenly..
    he is fine in general..
    sorry, don't know what is raw diet :S

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

My dog got wind off all of the expensive brands of food then i tried him out of on this mix

dry nuts
    wet can food
    cod liver oil
    milk

all mixed up and he hasnt had any gas since, you could kick hes stools around the garden and hes coat is far better than it was on the expensive nut foods.
    In my opinion most of them expensive dog food orijen, jwb etc are far to rich for the dogs digestive system well that was my experience on of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

chriity139 wrote: »
    My dog got wind off all of the expensive brands of food then i tried him out of on this mix

dry nuts
    wet can food
    cod liver oil
    milk

all mixed up and he hasnt had any gas since, you could kick hes stools around the garden and hes coat is far better than it was on the expensive nut foods.
    In my opinion most of them expensive dog food orijen, jwb etc are far to rich for the dogs digestive system well that was my experience on of them
    isnt milk bad for dogs???????????

• Advertisement

isnt milk bad for dogs???????????

he only gets about 10mls a day, its to help heal the bone he broke in his ankle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

chriity139 wrote: »

he only gets about 10mls a day, its to help heal the bone he broke in his ankle

Did your vet tell you to give him milk? It's actually bad for them as they are lactose intolerant. You would be better off giving him a supplement designed for bones and joints and not something that can harm him...

andreac wrote: »
    Did your vet tell you to give him milk? It's actually bad for them as they are lactose intolerant. You would be better off giving him a supplement designed for bones and joints and not something that can harm him...
    Oh ok I didnt no a tiny amount could be harmful to them, a supplement like glucosamine ?

@ chriity139 - dogs cannot digest milk, thus the dog cannot get any benefit from taking in milk because they cannot absorb any of it's contents. I think what andreac is referring to is a calcium supplement specifically for dogs or a bone/joint supplement (like glucosamine).

@ chriity139 - dogs cannot digest milk, thus the dog cannot get any benefit from taking in milk because they cannot absorb any of it's contents. I think what andreac is referring to is a calcium supplement specifically for dogs or a bone/joint supplement (like glucosamine).

Thanks for the info I will take the milk out of his diet and I will look into the supplements

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Half-decent quality natural yogurt is okay for your dog though, very low lactose levels.
    I'm inclined to think that instead of supplementing, you're better off feeding foods that naturally supply the nutrients you're looking for. So, oily fish, and fresh raw chicken bones, are the bizz for joint and skeletal health.
    I guess I just prefer the nutrients to be in their natural packaging before rushing off to buy them in a jar!

DBB wrote: »
    Half-decent quality natural yogurt is okay for your dog though, very low lactose levels.
    I'm inclined to think that instead of supplementing, you're better off feeding foods that naturally supply the nutrients you're looking for. So, oily fish, and fresh raw chicken bones, are the bizz for joint and skeletal health.
    I guess I just prefer the nutrients to be in their natural packaging before rushing off to buy them in a jar!

Id prefer foods as well, never thought of natural yogurts. I tried him on raw chicken bones already and it splinter and cut the inside of him so after that happened I decided not to give him them anymore.
    He gets tuna a few days a week for snacks during the day between meals

Advertisement