Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would/Could you be a professional footballer?

• 25-01-2013 3:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

If you were born with the talent to be a top level player would you like it?

Obviously we all look at the money and lifestyle and it looks incredible but could you put up with the constant harassment from the media, the "hatred" from opposing fans, your family being hounded, being in the public eye 24/7 and having to act like a role model for kids all over the world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Melion wrote: »

Obviously we all look at the money and lifestyle and it looks incredible but could you put up with the constant harassment from the media, the "hatred" from opposing fans, your family being hounded, being in the public eye 24/7 and having to act like a role model for kids all over the world.

Or you could be a pro like Paul Scholes. And I say that as a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If I could choose I'd rather be a top coach than a top professional footballer.

I love playing the game and play a match every week on top of training but theres something about the coaching aspect that tickles my fancy more so then the player side of things.

Maybe its some of the points you made in your OP, now a days, managers are subject to the public eye but not as much as the players are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Id rather be a pro at another sport even if its not a lucrative. The abuse from people just isnt worth it. I couldnt imagine playing for Ireland, having a poor game and be humiliated by a bunch of dinosaurs in the RTE studios who are just saying it to bump the ratings. It must be very hard for the families of these players.

The abuse from football fans away from the pitch wouldnt be worth it either unless you are super rich and dont have to deal with people on day to day life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If I could choose I'd rather be a top cocah then a top professional footballer.

I love playing the game and play a match every week on top of training but theres something about the coaching aspect that tickles my fancy more so then the player side of things.

Maybe its some of the points you made in your OP, now a days, managers are subject to the public eye but not as much as the players are.

But what kind of job security would you have then? Lose 3-4 games and your out on your ear and most likely have to uproot your family once you find a new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yes, but only because I love money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Media will only harass you if you ask for it. I'd definitely take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If I could choose I'd rather be a top cocah then a top professional footballer.

What? You'd like to be a coach first, then become a footballer?

I don't understand.

Weird.

But what kind of job security would you have then? Lose 3-4 games and your out on your ear and most likely have to uproot your family once you find a new job.

Agreed, football management is very unpredictable now a days, if you can manage to avoid a trigger finger chairman you'll thrive though, thats easier said then done I understand.

What? You'd like to be a coach first, then become a footballer?

I don't understand.

Weird.

Thats exactly what i meant.

I always dreamed of managing a top European team at 18 and then leave to go play for another European team after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Football is my favourite sport and the money would be great but I honestly don't think I'd enjoy the lifestyle.

TBH I've always looked at Tennis and F1 and thought "yeah I wouldn't mind living in that world".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Media harassment doesn't necessarily come part and parcel with being a professional footballer. Avoid twitter, interviews, commercial endorsements etc etc and its possible to live a relatively ordinarily life, Paul schoolers being an example

Another option is to avoid playing for the likes of united, Liverpool etc. I'm sure the likes of Hughes or senderos at Fulham can go about their business without constant attention

Personally, if I had the talent and subsequent money that came with it, I'd imagine my career would follow the Keith Gillespie trajectory. With the dropping down in divisions as my talent wained from the enjoyment of the lifestyle intertwined with controversy as what are now merely opinions given by me on a forum become public statements by a well known footballer, and without the no abuse rule that keeps me in check here, I'd be facing more legal action then Ian hislop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Or just retire on the proceeds of having your lucrative contract settled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Media will only harass you if you ask for it. I'd definitely take it.

Not true really. Not like De Gea is asking to be over scrutized by the media while other keepers are not to the same extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well I did mean more in terms of off the field stuff. Balotelli, Barton, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Could I be a professional footballer?. Yes. I am better then Messi but wasn't bothered to do anything about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well I did mean more in terms of off the field stuff. Balotelli, Barton, etc.

Idiots like that deserve everything they get(i do like Mario though :) )

But regular players like De Gea have done nothing to warrant the constant paper chat about him and his position at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really expected this to be an EdenHazard thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Idiots like that deserve everything they get(i do like Mario though :) )

But regular players like De Gea have done nothing to warrant the constant paper chat about him and his position at United.

tbh, i doubt he gives a fcuk.
    Id easily do it, just dont read tabloid crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Really expected this to be an EdenHazard thread

I would have mentioned the word 'ballboy', but I'm a bit scared of Mary :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yes think of the girls and you wouldn't even have to look like JayBee!

Haha Erik Lamela kinda resembles him

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIsL4N07hgVLIgpcQj-OpwZL_IFBJ0N-jcVXJjHWGSgy8EvMer

http://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/justin-bieber-exclusive-deets-lead.jpg?w=600

LUCKY MOFO :p Serious footballer, looks like the Biebs and lives in Rome :D

• Advertisement

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Yes think of the girls and you wouldn't even have to look like JayBee!

Haha Erik Lamela kinda resembles him

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIsL4N07hgVLIgpcQj-OpwZL_IFBJ0N-jcVXJjHWGSgy8EvMer

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Some people including myself from time to time should stop and think what they write on here.

Select few should give up writing on here or on the internet for good. For everybody's benefit.

Weird gets weirder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Silly thread really, this is the soccer forum.

Anyone who wouldn't want to be or have been a footballer is mad or lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Bahah I'm just saying they do look alike. Was more joking tho.

Yeah cmon who wouldn't wanna be a footballer. The question is what league would you wanna play in? For me, La Liga or Bundesliga :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Considering I am an intellectual I don't think I could handle the "banter" with my working class teammates. They'd discover me reading Tolstoy and there'd be rumours abound that I have the gay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No way, I have zero self control, even if I was twice as talented as Messi, I wouldn't have made it out of the youth system.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement