Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood work query

Options
  • 25-01-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I've experienced numbness in my extremeties(tip of left index finger & top underside of my left big toe) for the past 3 days, and has prompted me to consider getting a blood test done as I fear I may have DB. However I've no medical card or any insurance, and would like to know how much this will cost? Any other info much appreciated:) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

DB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If you have symptoms that concern you, see your doctor.

Do not...

1. ...have a guess about what you might possibly have and then try to arrange a test for that and that only. Let your doctor decide what the possibilities are and then s/he can decide what tests to perform to confirm the diagnosis.

2. ...Google your symptoms to try to diagnose yourself.

3. ...ask random internet idiots what they think. They are not doctors. And even if some of them are, they won't diagnose you without an examination.

4. ...make up your own abbreviation for whatever it is you think you may have. 'DB', as you can see from the link above, can mean many things. None of those things is a medical condtion.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

When it comes to your health don't worry about cost just get the blood test done and worry about that later!
    Also a GP can check your blood sugar levels on the spot by taking blood by pricking your finger.

Also dont be jumping to conclusion it could be something as simple as be stationary to long to a slipped disk, don't ask for advice online or self diagnosis you will be told the worst possible outcome.

Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

agree with all the replies.....but for your info, in the GP practice which we go to a blood test for private patients is 20 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

just FYI, medical card or not, if your GP refers you for a blood test in a hospital or to a consultant in a hospital, unless you state otherwise you will be referred as a public patient.
    Nobody, no matter what they earn, pays for a public out patient appointment for these things. you will just be waiting longer for results/appointments etc than if you went private.

• Advertisement
Advertisement