Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping a Resit

Options
  • 25-01-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I failed one of my subjects in christmas and now I've been automatically registered for a resit. However, it mentions that I'm able to drop the resit. What exactly does this mean? Do I have to replace it with another subject or can I just not do this subject and pass the rest of my course with enough credits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

If you got an E grade, you can drop the resit and compensate the module - you can compensate up to 3 modules once you get a GPA of 2.0. The compensated GPA is 1.6. If it is an elective you might be able to swap it for something else but I'm not too sure about that. If you got lower than an E then you'll need to resit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If it's not a core module you can drop it completely and just make up the credits with an entirely different module.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Derpson

I got an E in one of my core modules, and my GPA is over 2.0 so I think I should be eligible for compensation, but does anyone know what happens if I drop the resit and it turns out I'm actually not eligible for compensation? Or how likely it is that I won't be eligible for compensation if I meet the listed requirements? I don't think I can just replace it with another module since it was core.
    Sorry to piggyback on your thread, but I didn't really want to clog up the board by making yet another resit thread and my question seemed relevant enough to this topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Derpson wrote: »
    I got an E in one of my core modules, and my GPA is over 2.0 so I think I should be eligible for compensation, but does anyone know what happens if I drop the resit and it turns out I'm actually not eligible for compensation?
    If you do badly in sem 2, and your GPA drops below 2.0, then you won't be able to compensate. It's basically a gamble, and you have to decide on how well you are likely to do in sem 2.
    Or how likely it is that I won't be eligible for compensation if I meet the listed requirements? I don't think I can just replace it with another module since it was core.
    I think your result automatically comes up as PC if you pass by compensation. If you meet the criteria, then you can compensate. If you think you won't be eligible to compensate, then a resit is usually required at the end of the following semester.

Depending on how what parts of the module you failed, you may not have to do the resit (eg. re-do assignments you failed). If it's not explicit on the module descriptor, then email/talk to the lecturer and they will tell you what is required.

Advertisement