Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing Tongue Swelling

Options
  • 25-01-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

So I finally got my tongue pierced on Tuesday. It's actually healing a lot faster than I expected and the majority of the swelling is now gone down. It's actually only the bottom side of my tongue which is still swollen. I know that the body heals in it's own time but the swelling is causing the bottom of the bar to rub against my gum which is irritating my teeth. At first only two or three teeth were bothering me but now the majority of my bottom teeth are hurting on and off.

I was taking ibuprofen until I found out people with Crohn's Disease aren't meant to take it. I've been sucking ice chips which seem to help with the swelling on the top my tongue but not much on the bottom. I've tried placed ice chips under my tongue but when the teeth are sensitive it's quite sore.

Does anyone have any recommendations on other ways to reduce swelling? Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I had nothing but sugar free ice pops when I got mine done and the swelling was all gone by the fourth day, but I suppose that's just the same as sucking ice cubes :/ I found holding ice cubes in my mouth helped too, not sucking them but just letting them sit there and moving them around slightly with your tongue. Also icy cold water! If you find swallowing at all difficult you can just rinse and spit, same goes for the ice cubes and pops.

I didn't bother with ibuprofen or anything like that either, for what it's worth. It's a great piercing when it heals though, mine's two years old now and I love it - best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I found Neurophen + to be a bloody miracle worker when i got mine done. And lots of ice. And time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Thanks. More ice it is. I'd buy some ice pops if it wasn't bucketing down.

Cupcake, Nurofen plus is great but it has ibuprofen unfortunately. :(

Advertisement