Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Conditions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I'm not sure about France, but in Germany they have to put winter tyres on by law every year to cope with their harsh conditions. If the winters keep on getting progressively worse it would be a good idea to do that in Ireland too. If only people could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I'm not sure about France, but in Germany they have to put winter tyres on by law every year to cope with their harsh conditions. If the winters keep on getting progressively worse it would be a good idea to do that in Ireland too. If only people could afford it.

Its the same in Sweden, however their the price of winter tyres is kept low so that people can afford to get them. In Sweden you find regardless of the tyre condition they must be changed every 6 months.

But again they are cheap so you can change them.

Don't think that would work in the rip-off republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Having lived in both France and Germany i can confirm that you need to have winter tyres by law, If you buy a car in Germany(second hand) you normally get 8 wheels, Summer Reifen and Winter Reifen, people normally have alloys with their summer tyres on and steels with the winter tyres, and tyre companies like Fast Fit or whatever they store the tyres for people when not in use.

France aswell theres signs on the side of the motorway showing speeds for rain and normal driving conditions, as far as i remember theres also sign posts for Trucks and Lorries for their speed limit.

There should be the same thing here, well Winter tyres or just the universal tyres cos its not just for Snow and ice, heavy rain and constant wet surfaces aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Just to clarify my previous post, I am a very safe driver, I'm not aggressive unless something seriously dangerous/stupid happens, I always keep within speed limits, I don't even go over 110 on the motorway because my car 1.4 litre car starts to shake :pac: 110 is a nice speed to be cruising along at and I always keep a nice distance between cars. 3 car spaces, 4 if its raining.

Anyway, the weather was heavy rain on that day, visiblity was fine however, the spray was a bit bad prompting most motorists to drive at slower speeds. Most of us were doing 100km/h which was perfectly safe, and well within control on the motorway even in wet weather.

It was about 6-7pm so there was quite a few cars and HGV's on the road. After passing Knocktopher exit where it gets really windey/hilly there was a car doing about 60kmh, which prompted everyone to slow down behind it, as there was a line of traffic in the left lane, and a few people over taking in the right, so not every car and truck could move out.

It was extremely dangerous having to slow down like that, there was about 10 and trucks, while people clearly frustrated were trying to overtake at poor opportunities, the wind was extremely strong, spray became very heavy with a huge line of traffic, trucks were edging past etc. All because this one person was doing 60 on a motorway. We essentially became all bunched up and one slip up would have resulted in a large crash.

This happened about 3 times on my journey.

Then to top it all off when I got into kilkenny, I was taking the third exit on a roundabout, so I was in the right lane naturally. When the eejit beside me in the left lane decides he was also taking the third exit cutting right out infront of me :rolleyes:

rant rabble rabble etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Just to clarify my previous post, I am a very safe driver, I'm not aggressive unless something seriously dangerous/stupid happens, I always keep within speed limits, I don't even go over 110 on the motorway because my car 1.4 litre car starts to shake :pac: 110 is a nice speed to be cruising along at and I always keep a nice distance between cars. 3 car spaces, 4 if its raining.

Anyway, the weather was heavy rain on that day, visiblity was fine however, the spray was a bit bad prompting most motorists to drive at slower speeds. Most of us were doing 100km/h which was perfectly safe, and well within control on the motorway even in wet weather.

It was about 6-7pm so there was quite a few cars and HGV's on the road. After passing Knocktopher exit where it gets really windey/hilly there was a car doing about 60kmh, which prompted everyone to slow down behind it, as there was a line of traffic in the left lane, and a few people over taking in the right, so not every car and truck could move out.

It was extremely dangerous having to slow down like that, there was about 10 and trucks, while people clearly frustrated were trying to overtake at poor opportunities, the wind was extremely strong, spray became very heavy with a huge line of traffic, trucks were edging past etc. All because this one person was doing 60 on a motorway. We essentially became all bunched up and one slip up would have resulted in a large crash.

This happened about 3 times on my journey.

Then to top it all off when I got into kilkenny, I was taking the third exit on a roundabout, so I was in the right lane naturally. When the eejit beside me in the left lane decides he was also taking the third exit cutting right out infront of me :rolleyes:

rant rabble rabble etc

GRRRRR i hate eejits that dont know what lane they should be in, or how to indicate on a roundabout, or the gob****es that try to speed up approaching a roundabout so they can get in front of you and cut you off or slam on as they come up towards the roundabout, such a dangerous manouver, I try not to let these people in when they are clearly about to put me at risk by flying in front of me and cutting me off, such a dangerous move and it happens alot on the outter ring road,

• Advertisement
Advertisement