Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken wings

Options
  • 25-01-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

We are in Galway for the last couple of nights. We have eaten nothing but amazing seafood such as claws, chowder, hake, oysters! We are hungover now and craving good chicken wings tonight! If in Dublin I would recommend elephant and castle for amazing wings. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that serves good spicy wings in Galway city centre? Pleaseeeee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

miss-bored wrote: »
    We are in Galway for the last couple of nights. We have eaten nothing but amazing seafood such as claws, chowder, hake, oysters! We are hungover now and craving good chicken wings tonight! If in Dublin I would recommend elephant and castle for amazing wings. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that serves good spicy wings in Galway city centre? Pleaseeeee
    one place and one place only Kings head
    delicious wings with blue cheese dip and get chips and coleslaw too take my word they are savage and will fill you right up really good portion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Cellar bar I would say nom nom nom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Dail in town or Sheridan's in Knocknacarra.

Ask for extra sauce.

They use Franks sauce and aren't stingy with it either.

Last time I was there I asked for extra sauce and they were pretty much swimming in the stuff, was bloody good.

Wings and chips for less than a tenner, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Scotties is the only place with wings even comparable to Elephant & Castle.

Jesus... Just thinking about it now... (mouth waters uncontrollably)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

miss-bored wrote: »
    have a look at the 'best X in Galway thread' and a more recent one.
    Heard good stuff about the place on the corner opposite Brown Thomas, next to The Cellar. Don't forget Cactus Jacks either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Beyond the ludicrous portions, I do not get this elephant & castle malark. My friend's father was involved with the place, they are standard chicken wings that they get from a run of the mill Irish supplier. Deep fried and marinated in sea salt and Frank's hot sauce.

Nothing unique about them. Infact, the Cellar Bar do the exact same one's from the exact same supplier with the exact same ingredients as do Sheridan's in Knocknacarra I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Unfortunately they can't be found in Galway city. I started a thread about this when I lived in Galway and nowhere came close to the ones in E&C. Maybe I missed somewhere but nowhere in the city centre do them. Make your own, very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Nothing unique about them. Infact, the Cellar Bar do the exact same one's from the exact same supplier with the exact same ingredients as do Sheridan's in Knocknacarra I believe.

The missus and I have recently made our pub grub home in the cellar. I spoke to the middle-aged blonde woman (owner maybe) who served us. She said they have their own recipe and that Franks was just one of several ingredients.

I found them good and you get a good portion too.

newkie wrote: »
    I spoke to the middle-aged blonde woman (owner maybe) who served us. She said they have their own recipe and that Franks was just one of several ingredients.

she lied, most likely,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was just wondering how long it'd take for Frank's to get mentioned :D *

*best sauce ever btw.

Another vote for Sheridan's here. I don't really get them anywhere else, will try Cellar though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked the BBQ wings in Scotty's when I was there last. I had some in the Dail a while back and they were OK but nothing amazing. Nicest wings I've had are to be found in the Blue Bar in Skerries in North Co. Dublin. I've been to Elephant & Castle and what I was served there was muck. The wings were terribly disappointing. I certainly won't be going back to the Elephant & Castle any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I really liked the Kentucky chicken wings from the starter menu in Creole. Very tasty.

squonk wrote: »
    I liked the BBQ wings in Scotty's when I was there last. I had some in the Dail a while back and they were OK but nothing amazing. Nicest wings I've had are to be found in the Blue Bar in Skerries in North Co. Dublin. I've been to Elephant & Castle and what I was served there was muck. The wings were terribly disappointing. I certainly won't be going back to the Elephant & Castle any time soon.

I maintain the appeal of the Elephant & Castle one's are the HUGE portions, which are mouth watering!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

listenup wrote: »
    one place and one place only Kings head
    delicious wings with blue cheese dip and get chips and coleslaw too take my word they are savage and will fill you right up really good portion

they are the most dried up pieces of meat that ever passed as a chicken wing. Vile.

if ye want a huge bowl of excellent spicy juicy chicken wings you have to get them at the spanish arch hotel. They are fabulous - only open in the evenings tho. Believe me, if you know and love your chicken wings, this is the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So, everywhere does good chicken wings?
    Kings head
    The Cellar bar
    Dail in town
    Sheridan's in Knocknacarra
    2 votes Scotties
    Creole
    spanish ar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Oh yes, the gauntlet has been thrown....

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I'm rather partial to the Hot chicken wings in eddie rockets meself (though I find they are nicer in Eglinton St over Wellpark)

dinneenp wrote: »
    So, everywhere does good chicken wings?
    Kings head
    The Cellar bar
    Dail in town
    Sheridan's in Knocknacarra
    2 votes Scotties
    Creole
    spanish ar

I'm a man who loves my wings but find myself with a 'meh' over most of the above.

Creole and Scotties are alright.

they are the most dried up pieces of meat that ever passed as a chicken wing. Vile.
    they May have had an off day best of places can have a bad day but I urge you do try again ....

• Advertisement

listenup wrote: »
    they May have had an off day best of places can have a bad day but I urge you do try again ....

i tried them twice, and have sat with others that have had them - they are disgusting. The spanish arch is the only way to go. believe me.

i tried them twice, and have sat with others that have had them - they are disgusting. The spanish arch is the only way to go. believe me.
    ill try the Spanish arch tmrw for my lunch and give an honest verdict here after

only in the evening time for spanish arch - they don't do lunches

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

I'll second the Spanish arch hotels' wings. we had a staff night out there at christmas and the wings were amazing, huge pertions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

The Scholar's Rest (aka River Inn) gets the thumbs up from me, and you can get some decent craft beers to go along with the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Went to the "Sparch" on the recommendation of fellow boardsies, and wasn't disappointed with the chicken wings.

Only €6.95 (though disappointed they charged me €1 for the Miwadi!)

The sauce is really good, and that makes the chicken wings for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

By God, the ones they used to have in the Malthouse restaurant (before it changed to The Bridge Mills last year) were seriously good. 4 Spice chicken wings they were called.

Excellent, with a variety of dips - the sour cream one even had a celery for swirling it round, almost as good as a paint stirring stick. :pac:

once you try the spanish arch ones nothing else will do. :D

also, wings are traditionally served with blue cheese dressing and celery - not of this sour cream nonsense - save that for the baked spud. :o:o

And blue cheese dressing = sour cream and buttermilk with blue cheese crumbled into it...
    :o:o

• Advertisement

Spanish arch wings have been eaten and a verdict has been decided ........................ Very tasty could have had more though only 6 tiny wings I Will say for now on par with taste with kings head I Will be having them again hopefully more meaty and plentiful

Advertisement