Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken wings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you sure you went to the correct place? Spanish Arch serves about 20 wings in a portion and they are as different as you can get compared to the kings head - even the accompaniments are different.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

interestingly I was in the eyre square hotel during the rugby match over the weekend, had a gander at the menu and spotted spicy wings with bluecheese dressing on their menu...silly me thinking they'd be wings in a hot sauce of some description as what I got was more akin to kfc style chicken, quite revolting stuff.

Also have tried the spicy wings in La Salsa recently. As it turns out I'm not a fan of their kind of sweet chilli sauce but thankfully there was barely any sauce on them - something I was disappointed about when I opened the takeaway box and saw a dozen or so plain looking wings with a drizzling of sauce. Not good.

As it stands, the cellar is king of wings in galway. I'll try the sparch based on the feedback here but if they are anything like the ones from the kings head or the dail I know I'll be disappointed.

believe me, they are nothing like the kings head or these other places who think dribbling sweet chili sauce on dried up wings make them into tasty buffalo/chicken wings. Try Spanish Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

do you own the Spanish arch or something ??? I ordered chicken wings off the menu there were very few and they tasted JUST AS GOOD AS KINGS HEAD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, tried the sp'arch, tiny portions and no different to the cellar or kings head, Sheridans and The Dail still top of the pile for me.
    Still have to try scotty's but I'd imagine it's going to be much the same.

Truth be told, they are wings, it's not rocket science, you fry them and then toss in them a mixture of clarified butter and franks hot sauce and serve them with blue cheese dip and celery sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The couple of times i've had wings in the Dail they've been well over-cooked, i'll give them another go though on your word seaneh.

The couple of times i've had wings in the Dail they've been well over-cooked, i'll give them another go though on your word seaneh.

in fairness theyve done it to me too. I always ask for extra sauce though and they leave them swimming in it and it keeps tgem moist. I jyst think over all its the best deal. The wings are huge, the sauce is perfect and its a massive portion

Well, I've knocked one off the list, and promptly moved it to the "will be back again" list. The Spanish arch hotel make some very good wings, and while i don't see that as much of an accomplishment, in Galway its a rarity. Well done Spanish arch hotel, next up: give the dail another chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

tried Kings head wings there at weekend. only ever tried wings in scotties before this and much preferred kings head ones. very meaty and tasty and got huge plate of chips to go with them. was stuffed for rest of the day!

listenup wrote: »
    do you own the Spanish arch or something ??? I ordered chicken wings off the menu there were very few and they tasted JUST AS GOOD AS KINGS HEAD

no, I don't own it, but I know a good buffalo wing when I see it. You will never get then as good as in the States but Spanish Arch does the closest thing. And you get a lot more than 6 which makes me think you went to the wrong place. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

I tried the Spanish arch wings on Saturday. They were okay. The sauce was slightly hot but also had a hint of sweet in it (sweet chilli maybe) which is not right. The blue cheese dip was a bad imitation of blue cheese dip. The wings were fresh and we got a huge portion to be fair. This might be because I asked the waitress how big a portion they were as we were thinking of sharing. Service in the Spanish arch was really good incidentally.

As was just mentioned in this thread, Franks hot sauce (available in supermarkets), combined with some melted butter to fully coat the fried wings, makes the best hot wings you will ever have. The wings have to be fried though, baked chicken wings just don't work. I bought a deep fat fryer in tesco for 19 euro and I use it only for making chicken wings. I have to use it outdside because it stinks out the house and these were the terms and conditions under which my better half allowed me to purchase said fryer. You season your wings and fry them in oil at about 170 degrees for around 9 minutes. Make the sauce as described above. For the bluecheese dip, combine 100g Roquefort cheese, 140ml of soured cream, 2tbsp mayonnaise, juice of half a lemon, all in a bowl and mix. Serve with celery sticks (stringy bits peeled off) and cold beer. These are better than any wings you can get in Galway, trust me. And you can have them whenever you want!

no the portions size is correct ludickrous, they are a hugh portion. Cant say I've ever gotten a sweet taste from them - hot yes, sweet no. glad you enjoyed them anyway. :D

franks hot sauce - everyone seems to think this is the answer to good buffalo wings. Wouldn't bother doing them at home - too tempting. A treat at the Spanish arch is brilliant tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

spanishx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Decided to go to the Spanish Arch Hotel this evening to specifically try out their chicken wings for the first time. Unfortunately I was very disappointed :(:(
    They weren't hot & spicy at all (even though that's what the menu said), they had a more sweet chilli kinda taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spiciness is subjective, perhaps they've changes the sauce? Did you ask?

biko wrote: »

Well, they (hot wings) are coated in Frank's or another brand of vinegar based Cayenne pepper sauce mixed with melted butter in a ration of 3:1, even to the worlds biggest chilli lover it should be noticeably hot and spicy, it should also be extremely sharp smelling because of the vinegar in the sauce.

biko wrote: »

Nah they definitely weren't spicy, my gf tried them as well and she reckoned it was just sweet chilli sauce. I'm not doubting most other people who have had them and think they are great, I'm presuming that they were just not coated in the normal sauce. Either they have changed the recipe (and not the menu description!), or they had ran out last night. I suppose I should have asked. Oh well!

I had chicken wings from Scotty's Steakhouse last week. Very, very tasty and spicy! A 'dozen' wings are €8.99, but you actually get about 40 of them! :D

The spicy chicken wings from Eddie Rockets (the one in Wellpark anyway) are surprisingly good as well (and hot 'n' spicy!).

I used to really like the wings in the Dáil, but as others have said, they are always damn overcooked! :mad:

Nah they definitely weren't spicy, my gf tried them as well and she reckoned it was just sweet chilli sauce. I'm not doubting most other people who have had them and think they are great, I'm presuming that they were just not coated in the normal sauce. Either they have changed the recipe (and not the menu description!), or they had ran out last night. I suppose I should have asked. Oh well!

I had chicken wings from Scotty's Steakhouse last week. Very, very tasty and spicy! A 'dozen' wings are €8.99, but you actually get about 40 of them! :D

The spicy chicken wings from Eddie Rockets (the one in Wellpark anyway) are surprisingly good as well (and hot 'n' spicy!).

I used to really like the wings in the Dáil, but as others have said, they are always damn overcooked! :mad:

i can't eat sweet chili sauce so I know the ones in span arch don't have it in theirs. maybe they did run out. I'm going for another fix of them this weekend so I will know if the ingredients have changed. If you like eddie rockets ones then I would consider them a score of 5 with the spanish arch a score of 9.

I'll let you know what I get this weekend - believe me I won't be eating them if they are covered in sweet chili - yuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

i can't eat sweet chili sauce so I know the ones in span arch don't have it in theirs. maybe they did run out. I'm going for another fix of them this weekend so I will know if the ingredients have changed. If you like eddie rockets ones then I would consider them a score of 5 with the spanish arch a score of 9.

I'll let you know what I get this weekend - believe me I won't be eating them if they are covered in sweet chili - yuk.

They are not 'covered' in sweet chili but it was definitely an ingredient in the sauce. I am certain about that. I would score them 6/10 - 1 point docked for blue cheese dip that tastes nothing like blue cheese.

Yeah, was in there for that awful Scotland rugby game and got the wings again, the blue cheese was just sour cream and the wings were sweet (not sweet chilli though) and not really spicy at all.

• Advertisement

Ludikrus wrote: »
    They are not 'covered' in sweet chili but it was definitely an ingredient in the sauce. I am certain about that. I would score them 6/10 - 1 point docked for blue cheese dip that tastes nothing like blue cheese.

no have never gotten a hint of sweet chili at all.

as I say, I will be in there at the weekend - if they have sweet chili i will let ye know because I won't be eating them. However if they are the ones I always get in there I will let you know the spiciness factor on a scale of one to ten. I will also count them to see how many is in a portion - I do know there are a lot lot more than 6. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

no have never gotten a hint of sweet chili at all.

as I say, I will be in there at the weekend - if they have sweet chili i will let ye know because I won't be eating them. However if they are the ones I always get in there I will let you know the spiciness factor on a scale of one to ten. I will also count them to see how many is in a portion - I do know there are a lot lot more than 6. :D:D

Maybe a photo of them to seal the deal too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

anywhere else around gaillimh for wings?

out of the places mentioned still have to try Creole and Spanish arch but cant wait till they open for food as I'm starvin now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Galway2013

Have to say scottys wingers for me are the best ive tried. Usually get there triple play as a main with double wingers and wings and its a big dinner

I was in the Cellar Bar a couple of weeks ago and I tried their chicken wings with the hot 'n' spicy sauce for the first time. I have to say that they were damn tasty and I would definitely go back again.

My favourites are now Scotty's, The Cellar Bar and Eddie Rockets (for hot 'n' spicy chicken wings).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Just had some wings in the g counter in wellpark and thought of this thread.

Enjoyed these alot. They come in a breading and a spicy sauce.

The sauce they were served in was very nice. Could have been spicier but I like mine red hot which is going to be hard to find in galway.

would def have them again.

The dail I think are still the best. Had them last week and asked for them extra spicy. They were served in a sauce I hadn't seen before not the usual Franks buffalo variation.

waitress came over to see how we were getting on with them as she expected us not to finish them as even carrying them down was making her eyes water. She was shocked as she saw us with two empty plates and happy faces :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Scotty's

Just had some wings in the g counter in wellpark and thought of this thread.

Enjoyed these alot. They come in a breading and a spicy sauce.

The sauce they were served in was very nice. Could have been spicier but I like mine red hot which is going to be hard to find in galway.

would def have them again.

The dail I think are still the best. Had them last week and asked for them extra spicy. They were served in a sauce I hadn't seen before not the usual Franks buffalo variation.

waitress came over to see how we were getting on with them as she expected us not to finish them as even carrying them down was making her eyes water. She was shocked as she saw us with two empty plates and happy faces :pac:

Yeah, had the best wings (in galway) in the G counter months ago, it's just a bit too out of my way to be worthwhile going back regularly, I would be making a trip out there just for the wings - and while they're damn good it's not something I' going to do often.
    As for the dail, I've had them there on several occasions due to recommendations from posters on this thread, every single time they've been well over cooked and in desperate need of that extra hot sauce I always ask for - I'm pretty much done with trying the dail for wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I like the GCounter but is it true none of the chefs there work at the G as well? I thought I heard there was some overlap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

Had G-Counter wings recently and didn't like them, there's a lot of unnecessary batter on the wings before they're deep fried which gets kinda sickening when they get cold, and the blue cheese dip was not blue cheese dip.

Was in Dail bar last night, wings are nice but just normal pub wings, nothing special, 6.95e for about 10. The dip that came with them was garlic and herb :(

Hoping Scotty's will be good whenever I get there...

Maybe people could start taking pics of their wings in Galway? :pac:

Advertisement