Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog won't walk!

• 25-01-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm having a strange problem with my jack russell at the moment. He seems to have gone off his walks! He's just over a year and has always walked fine for us no problem, bar some pulling on the leash which were still working on. Up to Christmas we were doing 30 to 45 mins every evening, no problem. But since then he won't come out for longer than 10 mins with me, and completely refuses to leave our estate, will only do laps of it. Have tried coaxing him along with high value treats, no luck. I don't think it's a physical issue, I've brought him to the park a few times and he'll walk for 30 mins there. He's full of beans and still his old self otherwise, gets all excited when he sees the lead come out etc, just gets fed up early! Any ideas why or how I could coax him into longer walks again?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

pampootie wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm having a strange problem with my jack russell at the moment. He seems to have gone off his walks! He's just over a year and has always walked fine for us no problem, bar some pulling on the leash which were still working on. Up to Christmas we were doing 30 to 45 mins every evening, no problem. But since then he won't come out for longer than 10 mins with me, and completely refuses to leave our estate, will only do laps of it. Have tried coaxing him along with high value treats, no luck. I don't think it's a physical issue, I've brought him to the park a few times and he'll walk for 30 mins there. He's full of beans and still his old self otherwise, gets all excited when he sees the lead come out etc, just gets fed up early! Any ideas why or how I could coax him into longer walks again?!

My female westie takes notions like this - only when it's a leash walk around town. She'll stop short and have to be cajoled to keep going.

I just think she's not fussed on traffic etc. if I take her to the woods and let her off leash she'll run all day!

It's no issue in the summer when we go to the woods everyday but don't have that luxury at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

My Jack Russel gets VERY definite ideas about where he wants to go at this time of year, he won't go to the park ( I assume because it is too wet ), he will just pull against the lead until we set off in a direction he is happy with. He will only walk on pavements, no muck or puddles for him. Also he feels the cold and I find if he is wearing a coat he will walk happily for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Hmmn, maybe he's just taken a notion so and is being his stubborn self about it! I'll try and wrestle a coat onto him and see if he'll go out for longer. I just got worried when he ignored the treats, he's a treat fiend. So much so that the minute we got in the door he did his full litany of tricks one after the other and then sat there waiting for the ones i'd put back in my pocket!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'll throw a potential spanner in the works here OP, with two observations!
    Firstly, jacks are prone to both hip and knee problems. It could possibly be that he has associations with pain, or even just discomfort, on the route you go? Maybe the surface jars a sore joint, maybe he randomly tweaked himself on that route before and now 'blames' that route..
    Dogs will often ignore pain whilst racing around in a park, chasing a ball etc, which can fool an owner into thinking all is well, but it's the adrenaline masking the pain in times of excitement.
    Secondly, there is some evidence to suggest that when dogs suddenly stop on walks, traditionally the incident is written off to the dog being stubborn (the research was carried out on Westies... 'nuff said :-), but in fact it may be a heart problem, an arrhythmia. This could be hard to pick up on vet examination, but certainly worth looking into.
    Either way, it might be a plan to get your vet to have a good root at him to make sure there's nothing amiss.
    Hopefully, he's just being stubborn!

Eek! And I thought my princess just hated the rain, the dark and cars! Mine doesn't behave that way every walk - maybe once a week? Should I be worried??

• Advertisement

Thanks dbb, i'll get him checked out. Just to clarify, he's still on lead when in the park and walks on a mix of pavement and grass just like our normal route, which is why I was assuming it wasn't physical, but I'll pop along to the vets anyway!

Eek! And I thought my princess just hated the rain, the dark and cars! Mine doesn't behave that way every walk - maybe once a week? Should I be worried??

I didn't want to cause consternation with my post: the research was presented by a vet in the UK, I'll have to try dig it out. But she concluded that many "stubborn" westies were going undiagnosed with heart problems. It could be transitory, I don't know, because westies aren't famous for heart conditions. Lots of other problems, but not the heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hide2013

in wolfhounds reluctance in walking is a sign that cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) has reached a critical stage. by the time you notice it it is usually too late for any effective treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hey I have a jack russell myself and I find he often goes through phases at this time of the year where the length of the walk is very much decided by him. He loves his walks and is a very active dog but he equally hates the cold wet weather, he's just not built for it :p

DBB wrote: »

I didn't want to cause consternation with my post: the research was presented by a vet in the UK, I'll have to try dig it out. But she concluded that many "stubborn" westies were going undiagnosed with heart problems. It could be transitory, I don't know, because westies aren't famous for heart conditions. Lots of other problems, but not the heart!

Ah no you're grand, she's in fine fettle usually - it's always when it's dark and raining. They're due their annual check up and vac's in march. I'll mention to the vet then and keep an eye in the mean time. It's always good to be aware.

All bets are off mind you if she spots a cat on our walks! She suddenly finds her energy lol.

• Advertisement

hide2013 wrote: »
    in wolfhounds reluctance in walking is a sign that cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) has reached a critical stage. by the time you notice it it is usually too late for any effective treatment

Exercise intolerance is a symptom across all breeds of cardiomyopathy and a number of other health conditions, but exercise intolerance (ie dog doesn't want to walk) tends not to be occasional in the way the op is describing. Exercise intolerant dogs tend not to want to go for walks at all, or start a walk but very quickly indicate they can go no further.
    I'm thinking that the owner of a truly exercise intolerant dog has already spotted other symptoms and will have a diagnosis already.
    I just don't want any panic for op here!

DBB wrote: »
    I just don't want any panic for op here!

No, no, I'm totally not googling cardiomyopathy symptoms and trying to pin him down for an examination. Honest. :)

Ah no, I honestly dont think there's much wrong with him, but he's due a vet visit anyway so no harm to have it looked at when we're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MJCM71

I have two dogs, one is an 8yr old wire haired terrier/jack russel and she too takes 'notions' where she acts unwilling to go for the long evening walk & keeps trying to turn around and go back, however my other dog is a 5 yr old springer cross & she loves her walks whatever the weather so the poor terrier just gets towed up the road until maybe a little after half-way round the 3 mile circuit we do & then she's trying to tow me home so whatever is up can't be serious! She'll do this once in a while sometimes for a couple of days in a row and for no obvious reason. In a young dog I certainly wouldn't worry about it, I think it's just them testing us to see what we will let them away with! Maybe they sense that we too don't really want to go for that walk in the cold & wet weather

Hey guys,
    Just an update, had my little dude in the vets today as he was very lethargic and weak last night. He was so not himself i was sure it had to be his heart and cried the whole way there, to be told that he has a tummy bug and that the walking thing is unrelated and probably just a notion. :) very relieved! Cheers for all the advice!

Hey guys,
    Just an update, had my little dude in the vets today as he was very lethargic and weak last night. He was so not himself i was sure it had to be his heart and cried the whole way there, to be told that he has a tummy bug and that the walking thing is unrelated and probably just a notion. :) very relieved! Cheers for all the advice!

Oh gawd, the internet is such a great resource, but a nightmare when you go reading too much on health stuff :eek:
    Glad to hear his tum will soon be on the mend.. seems to be a bit of a bug doing the rounds at the min.
    As for the not-wanting-to-walk problem, step away from the interwebs :o

The worst part is I work in (human) healthcare, and the first thing I do when someone comes in to me saying Google has told them they have approx 3 days to live is tell them not to pay it any attention and all the reasons why they should ignore it. But I couldn't help myself last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

This might sound like a lot of effort but if he refuses to leave the estate, maybe get a partner/family member/friend to drop you out in the car to the spot where your usual walk turns in the direction of home. Like most dogs, he should be eager to get home as quick as possible, and unless he wants to stay out he'll have to make the effort if he wants to get back to his bed!

Do it a few times and maybe it might get him over the psychological/stubborn thing of going for walks outside of the estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

A couple of years ago I brought my Kerry Blue (terrier;)) x to the vet for similar refusal to walk. I was imagining all sorts. After he examined her and twisted legs this way and that he asked what I do when she stops and refuses to walk. "eh I turn and go home". and he replied "the problem is that the dog is more stubborn than you":o.

she still does it a bit and shes still more stubborn than me but the faster we move the less likely it is. She'll run for miles and miles but walk down that road. Not a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hi guys,

dogs are pack animals,they love to walk in a pack,what you need to do is to get a friend to bring his dog to your house then take both dogs out for a walk,problem solved,even the most lazy dog[i have bullies] love to walk with other dogs.

Advertisement