Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South-East Radio reception in the car

Options
  • 25-01-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Recently we have been receiving a poor reception of our favourite radio station - South East Radio , in the car.

Sometimes the signal disappears completely , and radio goes into search mode.

All the other tuned-in radio stations are more than clear enough to hear .

Any other drivers having this problem ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Tried numerous times to get it without success. It is no longer one of my presets. No loss really

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

oldyouth wrote: »
    Tried numerous times to get it without success. It is no longer one of my presets. No loss really

But you're missing the main man for Country music now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Very weak signal in parts,kind of defeats the purpose of a radio station if you can't get reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Noticed this myself at the weekend... heading out towards Johnstown Castle via Drinagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Was in the car today , and plugged in the headset to mobile phone , and all the popular stations were easily tuned .

But SER was not among them.......Whats wrong with South East Radio signal ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I live in Riverchapel and SE reception is rubbish. I was told the reason is that the transmitter is very low on the mast at Mt. Leinster, apparently it costs more the higher up the mast you go. That would fit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It must be pointed away from Co. Wexford then 'cos I always find the reception pristine anywhere I go in Kilkenny, and can get a good reception as far away as Tipp, Laois, Kildare for South East radio!
    Always find it very easy to pick up.

road_high wrote: »
    It must be pointed away from Co. Wexford then 'cos I always find the reception pristine anywhere I go in Kilkenny, and can get a good reception as far away as Tipp, Laois, Kildare for South East radio!
    Always find it very easy to pick up.

More to do with the terrain, I think. Surely the transmitter is omni-directional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Driving into Carlow last week and the reception was grand.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Driving into Carlow last week and the reception was grand.

You were probably driving alongside Mt Leinster , as you were travelling from Enniscorthy - Carlow .

Here are the frequencies according to SER , however we find that the best frequency for New Ross is 95.6fm

This is the list of transmitter locations and frequencies for South East Radio
    • Mount Leinster 95.6 FM
    • Forth Mountain 96.4 FM
    • New Ross 96.4 FM
    • Gorey 96.2 FM
    • Enniscorthy 96.2 FM
    • Wexford (Centre) 96.2FM

http://www.southeastradio.ie/radio_information/reception_questions.php

• Advertisement

You were probably driving alongside Mt Leinster , as you were travelling from Enniscorthy - Carlow .

Here are the frequencies according to SER , however we find that the best frequency for New Ross is 95.6fm

This is the list of transmitter locations and frequencies for South East Radio
    • Mount Leinster 95.6 FM
    • Forth Mountain 96.4 FM
    • New Ross 96.4 FM
    • Gorey 96.2 FM
    • Enniscorthy 96.2 FM
    • Wexford (Centre) 96.2FM

http://www.southeastradio.ie/radio_information/reception_questions.php
    I wonder is the transmitter in Gorey a low power one. In Riverchapel we get better reception on 95.6 yet the Gorey one is only 3 miles away. It's the same for the TV transmitter, only receivable in Gorey and about a mile beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

worst reception of all is outside the radio station itself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

Reception around Kilenagh, Ballygarrett , kilmuckridge is terrible.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

chieftan65 wrote: »
    worst reception of all is outside the radio station itself

Ensure AF (or RDS) is enabled (could be accidentally disabled) on you car radio to ensure it tunes to the best of their 3 frequencies (95.6, 96.2, 96.4). Should be no problem there with 96.2 ... seeing as there is
    •Wexford (Centre) 96.2FM

Antenna wrote: »
    Ensure AF (or RDS) is enabled (could be accidentally disabled) on you car radio to ensure it tunes to the best of their 3 frequencies (95.6, 96.2, 96.4). Should be no problem there with 96.2 ... seeing as there is

I enable RDS today on car radio , and it appears to have made a huge difference .

Was in Kilkenny today , and had great South East radio reception at all times .

Thanks ' antenna '

Advertisement