Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry 9900 v Nokia Lumia 820

Options
  • 25-01-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi guys, due an upgrade. Have a Blackberry 9900 and am thinking of going for the Nokia Lumia 820. Never had a problem with the Blackberry but am itching for a change.
    Appreciate any suggestions.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Well the new blackberry will be announced on Jan 30th with a luanch date rumoured to be mid/late february.
    O2 are already preparing for it:
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/coming-soon/

If you cant wait then get the nokia now if it's between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

DonFred wrote: »
    Hi guys, due an upgrade. Have a Blackberry 9900 and am thinking of going for the Nokia Lumia 820. Never had a problem with the Blackberry but am itching for a change.
    Appreciate any suggestions.

Ta.
    Why Lumia 820? There's the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy 3 and even a new Blackberry that's running a brand new OS that looks really, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Not into iphone, will wait until the new blackberry is realise and see. Lumia looks good thou.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Have the new lumia and I think its the first phone iv developed feelings for,its just great...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

flas wrote: »
    Have the new lumia and I think its the first phone iv developed feelings for,its just great...

I love my lumia 800, will more than likely get the 820 for my upgrade.

• Advertisement

Seens Lumia users are happy all round!! Am very tempted to get the 820. Fed up paying for the extra add ons for Blackberry too costly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Seens Lumia users are happy all round!! Am very tempted to get the 820. Fed up paying for the extra add ons for Blackberry too costly

Just on that point in particular the new BlackBerry's will not charge extra for data. It was in the most recent quarterly report from BlackBerry that they would be giving up on the consumer charges for BlackBerry services. Already most networks in Ireland dont charge extra on bill pay on most plans (Three, O2, Vodafone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Why Lumia 820? There's the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy 3 and even a new Blackberry that's running a brand new OS that looks really, really good.

why not? have you tried using one?

I'm coming from Android (3 handsets) and sporadically iphone. Now I have Lumia 800 and I love it. Phone just works, just have fewer apps.

I'm not casual phone user, I consider myself as power-user, tinkering with all gadgets I have. Nokia maybe doesn't allow you to change/customise every bit you want, but has everything that you might want ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

can anyone with the lumia 820 review its battery life? is it good?

to put this into context, i use my mobile alot. its used for email during the day, calls at work and at home, maybe about 30 mins a day, about 0.5-1hr browsing a day (or on apps which pull form the net, excluding any skypes, viber etc), and its calenders etc all day. Id use twitter et al a fair amount, and have been leaving them on constant sync on my Galaxy S2.

The battery is the same size on the s2 as the lumia, but i rarely get more than 20 hours use as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Not into iphone, will wait until the new blackberry is realise and see. Lumia looks good thou.....

I have a Dev alpha device from Blackberry running BB10, seems nice. Its due an update in a couple of days, its currently missing some of its features (blackberry hub for example is "coming soon"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

docentore wrote: »
    why not? have you tried using one?
    Had a 920, but found it far too limiting to be honest. If you don't mind a poor selection of apps, much more limited functionality, the closed garden eco-system, then it's a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I found the Android to be very laggy and crash a lot, you really need to get a top Android phone if you want to get the most out of it. I don't have the Lumia 820 but I do have the Lumia 800 and as the other poster has pointed out it just works great. I've not had any problem with the selection of apps, the only one I'm missing which is out for the iPhone and the Android is the GoPro app but they will be releasing one next month. The App count is over 125,000 so you should be able to find apps you want but if you're looking for a specific app you can always check the market place to see if its available.

The reviews for the new Windows Phone 8 have all been very positive so rather than take one persons view over another check out some reviews and see what you think.

As for the Blackberry 9900, I've never used one so I can't comment on how good it is :-)

Think I need to play around with the lumia 820 before I make a decision. Never had a problem with the Bold but its starting to show its age (small screen, battery, limit apps and the BB service).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I've used WP7.5 (mango) iOS6 and android. I'd personally rate iOS the best with WP7 coming in a close second and android coming in a distant third.

General reviews of the 820 have been good but it would be good to check it out as well. WP7 is great if you don't mind some apps aren't there (I never cared... it's a phone...) because it has so much already built in. WP8 should be even better.

50 euros to get the Lumia on my upgrade, fairly cheap IMO. Am still undecided. Reviews on youtube look good thou........

Advertisement