Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IR Clap light switch

• 25-01-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm trying to use a sound to light board to activate my room light switch.The switch can be controlled through infrared once transmitted at a consistent frequency,so far I am unable to attain this consistency.I have ported the route of one LED(purple/grey wire in picture) from the board and am running it through a 555 timer frequency circuit on the breadboard and then transmitting through an infra-red LED.The sound to light board is being powered by a 9V battery and the frequency circuit at 6V(4xAAA).
    In theory when I clap or make certain sound the light should turn on/off every time.

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong would be helpful.

Sound to light Circuitry:http://www.maplin.co.uk/sound-to-light-led-22545

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Is it working at all? i.e. ever?

The sound to like circuit is working?

The IR LED comes on at all? (check with a camera)

Is there datasheet or something for the lightswitch?

Whats the 16 pin DIP chip too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

It does work,but only 1/10 claps would work.The 16 pin photocoupler is to tie the circuits together.

But the red LED's work every time?

What frequency does the switch need?

The red LEDs work every time.The switch needs "any button on a standard remote control" according to instructions,so whatever that frequency is.

• Advertisement

38khz for most remotes. What's the 555 set for? What's the value of the caps/resistors

3x 1K5 resistors.2 in series 821K .Capacitors are 0.01uf.

What is where with respect to your second attachment in the first post?

Forgive my paint skills,but hopefully this might explain slightly better.

I still can't see where they're connected

Can you fill the values in on this?
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/531010/238005.JPG

• Advertisement

You're really not helping me to help you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Using just the 555 circuit and the IR LED does the light switch work ? Leave out the Sound to Light circuit and just apply power to the 555 circuit ? Struggling to see any connection between the OPTO and the 555 circuit, how does it trigger the 555 ?

Also the location of the IR LED would make it difficult for the IR Light Switch to pick it up unless it were to reflect of something.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Struggling to see any connection between the OPTO and the 555 circuit, how does it trigger the 555 ?

It looks to me like the output from the LED is connected to pins 14 & 16, triggering the output to the positive rail (jumper from pin 1) which comes in via the yellow wire with the red end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Ah, see it now. So he's supplying the 555 via the opto ? Given the trigger sound is a clap - a very short duration - then maybe the 555 isn't getting up to frequency before the supply is cut to it again? The other problem I can see is which type of output the OPTO uses. If the LEDs on the Sound to Light board don't get to full brightness during the trigger sound then how hard does the output of the OPTO switch on ?

Maybe switching the the 555s output through the opto would work better leaving it running and then just connecting the IR LED during periods of the trigger sound. Just a thought.

Ken

If you had another 555 you could set up a monostable circuit that would run for a second or two and run the second 555 off this.

OP, i don't get why you have the optocoupler in there, you don't need it and as said its just adding another unknown.

Advertisement