Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying abroad for a semester

Options
  • 25-01-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am in 1st year at the moment. Would really like to study abroad for a semester. I heard that you have to apply early. How early does one need to apply. I am looking at non-EU countries if that makes a difference. I am doing engineering 5 year course.

Thanks,
    Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Best thing to do is take a wander up to the International office or keep an eye on their website for international talks. There are some deadlines but as you are doing engineering you have a year to think about it (Engineering students go in Stage 3 AFAIK). Earliest deadline is for Uni's in California which are before Christmas with the others in the New Year. The main things to do it to go to the talk as they take a sign in sheet to see who is interested. Also, GPA is taken into consideration and should be over 3.0 generally, but for California it is 3.08

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

Hi,
    I am in 1st year at the moment. Would really like to study abroad for a semester. I heard that you have to apply early. How early does one need to apply. I am looking at non-EU countries if that makes a difference. I am doing engineering 5 year course.

Thanks,
    Adam

This year there were an erasmus / international exchange talks during October / November. They go through all of your questions specific to your course ie when to apply and what Unis you can apply to, how many spaces for your course etc.
    Applications are generally December, January or Feb.
    They should have this next year for 2nd year students. I'm not sure when you go but for 4 year degrees its generally in your 3rd year, so your overall GPA from 1st year xmas and summer exams along with semester one of your 2nd year will count.
    If you email your programme office they will send you a list of places that your year will most likely be able to apply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

Hey Adam,

I'm in the last year of the 5 year engineering masters atm and I did 3rd year abroad in the states. You apply during 2nd year, the international office will send out emails and organise talks for students (there's normally an Engineering one). The application deadline is normally in January, so you have loads of time.

You do need to have decent grades, there's a minimum GPA and there's a lot of competition for places.

I really enjoyed it and looks great on your CV so definitely go for it! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

bbuzz wrote: »
    Hey Adam,

I'm in the last year of the 5 year engineering masters atm and I did 3rd year abroad in the states. You apply during 2nd year, the international office will send out emails and organise talks for students (there's normally an Engineering one). The application deadline is normally in January, so you have loads of time.

You do need to have decent grades, there's a minimum GPA and there's a lot of competition for places.

I really enjoyed it and looks great on your CV so definitely go for it! Best of luck!

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. Do you mind me asking where in the states you went? I am leaning more towards Australia but looking at the states as well. How much money did you need for the year? I am saving at the moment. I will try and find employment in the country I am in.

Advertisement