Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia maybe?

Options
  • 25-01-2013 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking about getting out of Ireland for the last few years yet have stubbornly held my ground. In 2009 I was very much thinking about going to Australia but a slight improvement in my personal life kept me at home.

In 2010 myself and three others went to Australia for 1 month for a holiday and I traveled to Perth, Melbourne Sydney and alot of the east coast! I have not been in full time employment in Ireland with 5 years and have lived mainly off the dole and odd cash based jobs. I have always managed to eek out a living here but I am 26 in a few weeks and if I don't travel soon I think it will soon be too late. I have actually been to fifteen different countries but never for anything longer than a few weeks holidays.

I very much liked Australia when I was there with the climate, people and way of life appealing to me. The thing is I have no qualifications or any worthwhile work experience to stand to me. I left school in Ireland at 14 and done nothing since other than 2 disastrous attempts to get back into education most lately last autumn in which I lasted two weeks. I have quite alot of savings but don't want to squander them either. I'd even consider education in Australia as I know people who have done the 2 years on WHV and are now studying there.

I have traveled extensively in South East Asia since my trip to Australia in 2010 and have been to Thailand twice and Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. I know Australia is expensive having been there but haven't much knowledge of the typical living situation, e.g. cost of a house share? I'd like Sydney or Perth although found the people of Melbourne the nicest but its weather was too similar to Ireland (I was there in July mid-winter).

I'm not expecting some great land of jobs-a plenty but would happily work at any sort of job which would allow me to make rent, food and save a small little bit. I have alot of savings and could sacrifice €10k for a year or two but ideally getting some employment to ease the burden would be my goal.

I wonder am I just kidding myself or would I be better off to remain on this rain swept hell hole for the rest of my life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Ah man, your only young once and if your only eeking out a living and not seeing much in Ireland it would not hurt getting out of Ireland for a year or two and recharge the battery's a bit, Ireland ain't to bad but if your seeing it as a wind swept hell hole get out and enjoy life for a while, 2 years could turn things about a bit here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thing is I am soon to be 26 and my father is 61, I will inherit land and property (worth €2million at current slump prices) and he has promised to sign the family farm over to me once he hits 65 and goes on Pension but by then I will be 30. I am stuck in the situation of being bored at home in Ireland with hardly nothing to do; I don't work the family farm and that is my fathers interest, I will put it into forestation when I get it as I have zero interest in anything farm related.

I travel every year to Europe and for the last few years to Asia. Also alot of my friends have scattered too and I am only left with one or two close buddies at home here, what is really killing life for me is the weather, the last time I saw meaningful sunshine was whilst in Thailand last year and my weather station recorded nearly 330 days of rain in 2012! Despite everything I would be happy enough at home if there was any thing even coming close to a summer. Such was my despair last year that I booked myself 5 weeks in the Philippines and Thailand for this summer and now am thinking of just going onto Australia for a year afterwards instead of coming home to rain and misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

To be honest with you mate, you seem to have it pretty good. You get one good long holiday a year and are likely to be set up for life with your inheritance.

So you are bored at home with nothing to do? Thats hilarious there are always things to do on a farm, ever heard of helping your dad out? Just because you dont have any plans to farm it later you could give something back to the person who is about to hand over a fortune to you, that would soon get rid of the boredom.
    Would your dad not be better off selling the farm now and having a very comfortable retirement and maybe you coming to Aus to work. Aus is a good place for a hard worker to prove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You sound very bored with your life and disillusioned with Irish weather. And in 4 years time you will be handed your inheritance. What are you going to do with yourself in these next 4 years besides moan about the weather and go away for a few weeks sun holiday annually??

You last worked full time 5 years ago, so you remember what it's like to work 38-40hr weeks and pay your rent and bills etc. I'd hope that you're still paying some sort of rent and/or contributing to the household budget now. If not, it'll be a steep learning curve living in Oz.

In Australia, with no qualification, you will work hard or very hard for your money. Even with qualifications, not much is handed to you on a plate here.
    You live on a farm? Can you operate farm machinery? There are many farm jobs here that need drivers etc. It's not just fruit picking.
    Sydney and Perth are not cheap places to live, probably 200$ a week in a share house, less if you share your room. You'll need your bond/deposit and a months advance rent. Set aside a few grand to keep you going while job hunting. Most people can usually find something in laboring/furniture removal/hospitality etc. in the city.
    As Sundy says if you work hard here, you'll get on provided you don't drink it all away at the weekend. Working hard here will also allow you to appreciate your father's gift. You might even appreciate that rain. 2 months of no rain and high temps have turned Melbourne into a dustbowl. The weather may seem like a great draw card but it's not everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Don't think your suited to OZ, for obvious reasons.

You sound like a little prince.

Booking himself 5 weeks in Thailand for the sunshine :):pac:

Best thing your father can do you for you, is to not give you a cent.

Why would he when you want to flatten the farm and put it into forestation.

You have quit and failed at everything you have tried so far in life and the safety of your money/inheritance, knowing daddy will always be around for you is the main reason for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mod note I saw the last post, although harsh it's not against charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

This is a wind up right?....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

RoverZT wrote: »

You have quit and failed at everything you have tried so far in life and the safety of your money/inheritance, knowing daddy will always be around for you is the main reason for that.

I think this tell us more about you than the OP.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I think this tell us more about you than the OP.

How so?

OP asked for opinions about going.

I told him what I thought.

He does come off as a prince!

Do you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

How so?

OP asked for opinions about going.

I told him what I thought.

He does come off as a prince!

Do you agree?

Nope.

I cant see how he is a Prince, he is just a lad in his mid 20's who is trying to figure out what he is going to do with his life.

I think the fact that his father owns a bit of land worth €2 million bothers you, as for not being suited to Oz how did you manage to come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Although a little harsh, I agree with rover.

Other than marrying an aussie bird I don't think you have the skills or work ethic to get a long term visa, the whv is your best option and that's 2years max.

Your inheritance seems to be in the bag so if your life is so bad at home, get the whv and have one or two years of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I think travelling really gets some people to grow up in a hurry and one thing I would never say to anyone is that they should not travel for personal growth, as in not passing through several European or Asian countrys but actually living somewhere and fending for yourself and being forced to make new friends and forge a new life in a alien environment to what you are used to.

I mean having to work 5+ days a week when you realise you have to pay the bills, put food on the table and just to be able to live, on top of that all the running about setting up accounts and so on when you first get there and feeling the pressure of life is all good for personal growth, then you see others collapse under the pressure and run home a few grand lighter for their experience, but to say someone should not travel is wrong in my opinion.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Nope.

I cant see how he is a Prince, as for not being suited to Oz how did you manage to come to that conclusion?

OP hasn't even bothered to reply to his own thread.

Probably got a new Xbox game :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

OP needs to find a passion in life. Seems like you are in cruise control. Sun may help but probably won't. Weather won't fill a hole in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

Agree 100 %
    whatever money you will get from Daddy won't change anything.
    Pull out the finger and do something on your own rather than expect other to do it for you. That will help you.

Advertisement