Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's Party Venue in the West.

Options
  • 25-01-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,
    I would like to get some feedback on an indoor children's play area as a buinsess opportunity - the play area would be geared towards 4 - 10 years +
    Could also add a toddler / baby area.
    Can be rented out for birthday parties, communion parties etc.
    I could imagine insurance being high on this sort of business, I know there are some play spaces similar but not quite what i have in mind.
    Appreciate any feedback.
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

The area you have in mind does it have much competition? Just from a customer point of view they seem to be quiet busy. I have brought my nephew to a few different ones and he has always loved them. I have been bringing him since he has been 2 so from my opinion I think you should have an area for 2+. Anytime I have him and its raining outside I find them great to go to and most have a seating area where adults can sit and watch the kids and have a tea or read the paper.

I know the play centre in my local area does a toddler morning and its from 9.30 am and is quiet busy. Parents drop kids off at school or just bring the toddler up and toddler gets to play with other kids and parents chat away. It seems to be quiet popular.

Like yourself I would imagine the insurance being on the high side but it could be a very good business to get into. Even with the country not doing great there always seems to be a good few at them anytime I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

There is some competition, monkey maze, leisure land etc. but yet these are a little different to my idea.
    May I ask highland - what you paid to attend the groups you mention? What to charge will be key for people to use it frequently, monthly charge, day pass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Ive never seen anything about day passes or monthly passes and if I did I would probably be very interested.

I pay between €5 - €8.50 and this normally gets you from an hour - 2 hours some places the staff dont seem to mind or if its a bit quiet they let you stay as long as you want but most of them don't.

Price is everything and if I could get a monthly card that I could bring him as much as I wanted and it was at a good price I would be delighted to pay for one.

Have you looked at what your competitors charge? Do your competitors do kids parties and how much do they charge?

Parties seem to be popular because parents dont have any worries about entertaining the kids or cleaning up. One place in dublin has the normal tea and coffee machine and a small counter selling crisps, drinks and sweets but for the parties they provide pizzas. This is done by them having a deal with the local pizza shop which is a pretty good idea.

Thank you for the info.
    Yes, parties seem to be the 'in' thing now so that would be part of it.
    I'm cuious if there is anyone on the board that has such a business in operation :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

dare2dream wrote: »
    Thank you for the info.
    Yes, parties seem to be the 'in' thing now so that would be part of it.
    I'm cuious if there is anyone on the board that has such a business in operation :confused:

I run a childrens' entertainment business in Dublin that would be in competition with the play centres - what's left of them.

Unless you own the premises, you are paying rent seven days a week but only generating income on 1 maybe 2 days with maybe a couple of afternoons a week if you're lucky. You also have heating/electricity bills, insurance and all the other bills associated with running a large premises.

As a parent as well, you also notice particular centres come in and out of favour with kids.

They do offer 100% stress-free parties for parents though and if run properly, can be busy.

I have been planning the ultimate children's entertainment centre for many years now. One day, when I have the funds, I'll show you how it's done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I have been planning the ultimate children's entertainment centre for many years now. One day, when I have the funds, I'll show you how it's done. :)

I hope you are including a very good coffee dock as part of the plans - I have not been at a play centre yet that does good coffee / food.

Oh goodness, I agree...horrible coffee and food....it's not that hard to have good coffee these days one would think.

Gloomtastic, thanks for your feedback, may I ask a few questions of you - what sort of entertainment center you run?

What age group / range is it for?

How many staff do you have?

What insurance would the premises have and roughly at what cost?

Do people pay on the day or is it more of an arcade type place?

What size is the premises?

I'm sure there are very quiet times also which could be unnerving when one is paying rent...

Can you share any figures with me in regards to revenue, expenses?

Thanks so much for any information.

D

Oh goodness, I agree...horrible coffee and food....it's not that hard to have good coffee these days one would think.

Gloomtastic, thanks for your feedback, may I ask a few questions of you - what sort of entertainment center you run?

What age group / range is it for?

How many staff do you have?

What insurance would the premises have and roughly at what cost?

Do people pay on the day or is it more of an arcade type place?

What size is the premises?

I'm sure there are very quiet times also which could be unnerving when one is paying rent...

Can you share any figures with me in regards to revenue, expenses?

Thanks so much for any information.

D
    I don't run a play centre, yet. I run a kids entertainment business. Sorry!

Oh I apologize, when you say entertainment business do you mean you go to people's houses / venues etc. as an entertainer?

Oh I apologize, when you say entertainment business do you mean you go to people's houses / venues etc. as an entertainer?

That's correct. The benefit of having tiny overheads means you have no cost if you're not earning - a godsend over the last couple of years. The downside is that a lot of people don't want 20 little sh1ts wrecking their house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement