Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know the City at night?

• 25-01-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi. I am from Limerick City but now live 20 miles outside the City and it is years since I was 'out on the town'. I have to attend a 40th soon on a Saturday night and am thinking of booking in somewhere rather than not having a drink and driving home. I would have walked right through the city centre on nights out when I used to live there, but I was wondering what the city would be like on a Saturday night after pub time for a female walking alone. I know that you couldn't vouch categorically for any city at night, but if you are used to the city at night you might be able to advise...are there a lot of people about on the streets generally at that hour (I actually have no idea what time pubs close any more :)) My walk would be between Court-house end to MallowStreet end. Thanks if you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Nicky30

I would get a taxi from the courthouse area to mallow street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

To be honest I wouldn't let any woman I know walk up through town on her own late at night whether it be busy with people or not and that would be in any city. If at all possible even if it is a short walking distance get a taxi. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lexielou

Thanks for the replies. I am sure you are right - I did it 15-20 years ago, but maybe I thought the city was safer then or was just blisfully naive, lol. Yes, it's never worth taking risks. It kind of broadens my options for hotels then. I had been thinking of the Pery, but parking could be an issue so the Travelodge Castletroy might be better as they would have parking. I'm on a budget so I was choosing between a few hotels. Thanks for the help - it has nudged me into making the right decision. Can't remember the last time I had a real big night out so looking forward to it...but probably looking forward to a quiet night in a hotel with maybe even a lie in even more....WaaaahAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I would defiinitely get a taxi if I were you. I would often walk around at night and never had any rela problems. However there is always a chance and for the sake of the price of a taxi its not worth the risk no matter how small it is.

Thanks - yes, the price of a taxi versus any risk is worth paying. I rang the Travelodge and they have a set €7 taxi rate. Very reasonable. I am totally out of touch with taxi costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My primary reason for getting a taxi would be Irish weather and boredom rather than the actual risk involved in walking there. I'd still get a taxi though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd walk...at like half-three, its actually busy enough.

No more dangerous than another city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Would not risk it as a girl alone. You just don't know what kind of clientele are going to be on the streets at that hour. Would often see fights etc in the city after the pubs close, you could get caught up in one or 'look' at someone the wrong way or not have a cigarette to lend someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think the point that many are making is that for a woman walking on her own at night, Limerick city is no less dangerous than any other Irish city.

It is no knock on Limerick or any other city, but it makes far more sense for a person to be safe than sorry. Also Mallow street has been the scene of a number of pretty bad assaults at night over the years, so no point tempting fate if she does not have to. Far better for her just to spend a few extra quid on a taxi if there is even a small chance that it could be the difference between a great night out in Limerick or one that came with a scare or worse.

Wingnut - I totally agree that Limerick is no worse than any other city. I would be pretty defensive about Limerick myself as I have had all the 'comments' from people who have never been here when I lived elsewhere. I did come to my decision - Luckily my brother is staying at our place tonight so my husband is going to drive in and pick me up at the end of the night. I really do appreaciate the insights all have given. We hope to go in to Limerick some night for a meal and stay over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement