Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVR Box Recommendation?

Options
  • 26-01-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Hoping somebody a little more knowledgable here can help me out. We're looking to get rid of the two UPC DVR boxes in the house. We'll still have the basic pipe with the usual channels (RTE, BBC, Sky, C4) but would like to keep the recording option. I've been looking into PVR boxes due to the low costs etc.

Ideally I'd like a 7 day EPG guide with series link, and also a twin tuner to be able to record from two channels at once. I've tried researching online myself but I'm a little confused. Most boxes I've come across are Saorview compatible. Does this mean it won't work with the basic UPC pipe and needs a Saorview arial? If so is there any box that can replace the UPC Digital DVR? Also will the Saorview box only work with Irish channels? I've found this box which looks good but again not sure if its suitable.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Only UPC's boxes will work on their network.

Your only options are either to stick with UPC's PVR, give up on recording or try freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Knasher wrote: »

Your only options are either to stick with UPC's PVR, give up on recording or try freesat.

So the PVR boxes will only work with a Saorview arial? Was hoping it would pick up the channels via the cable as if it was an antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Knasher wrote: »
    I used a home built PVR PC for years on the UPC analogue network. worked no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You can get channels off the UPC cable, though what channels you actually get depends on your area. Unfortunately as far as I know these are analogue only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly why are you getting rid of UPC PVRs?

If it's cost, then you get what you pay for.
    However if you go for "digital value" the small grey box with no recording is cheaper to own, and in many ways easier and quicker to operate. In terms of cost "digital value" is actually cheaper than analogue only (about 23 vs 25 per month). You cannot order digital value through the website (only the PVR boxes)

If it is not cost but because they are a pain to use, then pay extra for Sky.

If you can put up an aerial and a dish, and only watch the basic channels anyway, then go for a free per month system. Depending on how much you are willing to pay it could cost you 150-600 from a simple system to a full system with 7 day guide and series link.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Firstly why are you getting rid of UPC PVRs?

If it's cost, then you get what you pay for.
    However if you go for "digital value" the small grey box with no recording is cheaper to own, and in many ways easier and quicker to operate. In terms of cost "digital value" is actually cheaper than analogue only (about 23 vs 25 per month). You cannot order digital value through the website (only the PVR boxes)

If it is not cost but because they are a pain to use, then pay extra for Sky.

If you can put up an aerial and a dish, and only watch the basic channels anyway, then go for a free per month system. Depending on how much you are willing to pay it could cost you 150-600 from a simple system to a full system with 7 day guide and series link.

Yeah it's basically cost. We're paying €32 for two boxes in the house that don't really get used. The idea was to scrap it and keep the basic UPC connection without any boxes. And pay a once off payment for a PVR box to replace the recording feature the UPC box offered. We only really recorded from the basic channels anyway. I
    We'd be paying €7.75 a month instead which is a much better deal. Dishes aren't actually permitted where I'm living so its UPC or Saorview only. Was just really looking for a recording box with a built in EPG guide. Just tryna cost cut on the bills. It's a 3 storey house in a complex so it's nearly impossible to fit a Saorview antenna on the roof.

Thanks for the info.

I presume 7.75 is on top of broadband and/or phone not just 7.75 for analogue?

Anyway there is recording boxes for analogue, but they can't give you a 7 day guide as no information is sent on analogue. They are basically a VCR (video recorder) but instead of a tape they use a hard drive. However you would need to manually set timers for each show or use video+ (the numbers beside the show in the paper TV guide)

You can get a basic "today" guide on Aertel from page 170-180 on RTE1& RTE2 (I think this is still available on UPC analogue but not 100% sure.
    It's similar to this:
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/170-1.html

There are also on-line listing websites. Some are good in that you tick the channels you have and it only shows them.

You say the existing box does not really get used, in that case buying a magazine with a TV guide for the week might be a better solution and a marker to put a ring around the shows!

An alternative is an old VCR for the odd show.

If an indoor aerial would work for you (it won't work for everyone) you might get just the Irish channels. There is a PVR for the Irish channels with 7 day guide. If you want series link the box is €230 for just the Irish channels, but you would get series link. However only the Irish channels is a big step back.

Finally you can get hidden satellite dishes (if you can mount it facing south). Do some searches. You can get transparent and tiny dishes. You can also paint and camoflage dishes if needed. Search for hidden satellite dishes to get an idea.

If cost is a real problem long term a free satellite system is much cheaper. Zero per month and a life of probably 10 years or more.

Thanks for the info.

I presume 7.75 is on top of broadband and/or phone not just 7.75 for analogue?

Anyway there is recording boxes for analogue, but they can't give you a 7 day guide as no information is sent on analogue. They are basically a VCR (video recorder) but instead of a tape they use a hard drive. However you would need to manually set timers for each show or use video+ (the numbers beside the show in the paper TV guide)

You can get a basic "today" guide on Aertel from page 170-180 on RTE1& RTE2 (I think this is still available on UPC analogue but not 100% sure.
    It's similar to this:
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/170-1.html

There are also on-line listing websites. Some are good in that you tick the channels you have and it only shows them.

You say the existing box does not really get used, in that case buying a magazine with a TV guide for the week might be a better solution and a marker to put a ring around the shows!

An alternative is an old VCR for the odd show.

If an indoor aerial would work for you (it won't work for everyone) you might get just the Irish channels. There is a PVR for the Irish channels with 7 day guide. If you want series link the box is €230 for just the Irish channels, but you would get series link. However only the Irish channels is a big step back.

Finally you can get hidden satellite dishes (if you can mount it facing south). Do some searches. You can get transparent and tiny dishes. You can also paint and camoflage dishes if needed. Search for hidden satellite dishes to get an idea.

If cost is a real problem long term a free satellite system is much cheaper. Zero per month and a life of probably 10 years or more.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It's exactly what I was looking for. We do have the broadband yeah and they charge the extra €7.75 for the analogue connection. I've the iPhone for the TV guide it was basically just the series link feature I'd of liked and being able to set recording easily that's what I'd like in the box. Just for recording the usual weekly shows.

Gonna look into your recommendations and see what happens. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

If you were to have only UTV CaTV (analogue) service you would be paying €25.15 per month but dropping to Digital Value pack is €25.50 p/m so it's hardly worth it. If you want more than one CaTV point it's €3.55 extra. Don't know where you got €7.75 from.

AlanMc86 wrote: »
    If you were to have only UTV CaTV (analogue) service you would be paying €25.15 per month but dropping to Digital Value pack is €25.50 p/m so it's hardly worth it. If you want more than one CaTV point it's €3.55 extra. Don't know where you got €7.75 from.

As stated above;
    We do have the broadband yeah and they charge the extra €7.75 for the analogue connection.

If you cancel the UPC TV service (but still keep the broadband) they charge an extra €7.88 (it's been increased recently from €7.75) as a fee for the use of the Analogue TV. They can't disconnect the TV service without disconnecting the internet so thats where the €7.75 is coming from. Its also on the upc website in the fine details of the Broadband packages page.

• Advertisement

I know about the standalone charge but didn't think it was specifically for CaTV as in if you have bad reception or missing channels they will service the connection for you. I know the analogue comes through the same line so they can't disconnect it, didn't think about it that way so you'd probably be grand.

If you sign up for broadband and phone only, you don't pay the extra charge for the TV. The extra charge is if you only have one service, so by going for broaband and phone (and never using the phone) you save that way. It depends on what package you are on but broadband and phone is usually cheaper than broadband and paying for not having TV. Normally broadband and phone without TV (but you still get analogue TV, means you normally pay less overall, so get phone for free and save.

Yeah basic phone is €6.50 so it's cheaper than broadband alone.

They ended up offering me a deal to keep one UPC box and Broadband for €37. Big drop from the €60 we were paying before. Still gonna look into a PVR box or similar.

The only thing with the phone is I'd be afraid I'd go over with the usage allowance. Handy offer with way.

A lot of people call us to get the phone service just so they can go on a cheaper/better package and never even connect a handset. Sounds like you got a good deal from Loyalty though.

DubDJ wrote: »
    The only thing with the phone is I'd be afraid I'd go over with the usage allowance. Handy offer with way.

Don't connect a phone, you don't need to. I have never even plugged anything into the phone socket ever.

If you could resist calls, it might be a handy way to get an "01-" number. Some people can call those numbers cheaper than mobiles, especially callers from abroad. However most people don't bother ring or call using landlines as mobiles are easier to hand, and you have a better chance of getting the person than if you call their landline or from an unusual number.

Anyway phone being cheaper only applies if you cancel TV, which you don't seem to be doing. By the way the best deals are offered after you leave, to get you to come back.

Don't connect a phone, you don't need to. I have never even plugged anything into the phone socket ever.

If you could resist calls, it might be a handy way to get an "01-" number. Some people can call those numbers cheaper than mobiles, especially callers from abroad. However most people don't bother ring or call using landlines as mobiles are easier to hand, and you have a better chance of getting the person than if you call their landline or from an unusual number.

Anyway phone being cheaper only applies if you cancel TV, which you don't seem to be doing. By the way the best deals are offered after you leave, to get you to come back.

Yeah got put through to the cancellations department. Wasn't aware the phone and broadband worked out cheaper. But was opting for the basic 25MB were currently on with the stand alone charge. Would been €34.88. Instead they offered to keep the current DVR and broadband for €36.99. Couldn't say no. Only catch was a renewal of the 12 month contract which shouldn't be a problem really.

Advertisement