Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning over the phone

Options
  • 26-01-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I work for a large company and usually only see my manager once or twice a month because we have a few offices. I am seeking to move jobs and am pretty sure I will be in a position to hand in my notice in the next couple of weeks. I am required to give a months notice so as soon as I finalise my plans I will need to give my notice. Would it be very unprofessional to inform my manager about my resignation over the phone and then email her the written letter of resignation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

In the circumstances you describe if time is a factor ,resigning by phone seems appropriate.
    I would though arrange a meeting for as soon as is feasible after your conversation to hand a signed letter personally to your manager and wish him/her the best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can you not use email and follow up with a phone call?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Stheno wrote: »
    Can you not use email and follow up with a phone call?

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I have a good relationship with my manager and would like to explain my reasons for leaving before she gets the written notice. Ideally I would prefer to talk to her in person but since that's unlikely to be possible I thought the phone would be the next best option

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Phone, followed up by email is fine. I've had to do it before when seperated by time zones and distance from my manager. It's not all that unusual if your not in the same place as they are to do it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Phone to explain then email to formalise should be fine. Could probably have you in better standing with the soon to be former employer too

• Advertisement
Advertisement