Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photoshop Classes at reasonable price

• 26-01-2013 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭

I work in Dublin 2/4 - Mespil Rd/ Baggot St and would like to do an afterwork photoshop learning course.

Does anyone know if such a thing is available in that area.

Googled a bit but came up blank:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

nah - need it to be night class:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

not to sound stupid, but is this a 3 day course, as in 25 per day????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Farmlife wrote: »
    not to sound stupid, but is this a 3 day course, as in 25 per day????

1 day course - 11:30 am to 6:00pm ( €75) according to my reading.

1 day course - 11:30 am to 6:00pm ( €75) according to my reading.

I read the "3 Day Introductory Offer Only €75" no problem, butanyway, it's too late, i missed it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

How about a decent book to teach yourself at home? There's a lot of them out there.

I'd pick youtube videos before books, but I feel my concentration span is more suited to a class where i take time out to do it and can fire a few questions out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Lynda.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

If you are looking to do it on the cheap there are any amount of free youtube tutorials but if you are looking for a more detailed long term professional learning experience check out lynda.com and deke mcclelland but he is a photoshop genius and his videos are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I've come at all this from the opposite direction. Photoshop was the start point for me. Since I was a kid I'd always used Photoshop, indeed rarely using photographs I took myself or even focusing on photography, mostly using it to prototype banners, website layouts, graphic design, whatever. When I started using it for photography more it was a very easy transition because I already understood the language of the program already.

From my own experience I'd never recommend someone who considers themselves computer literate to take an actual class to learn Photoshop, for one online tutorials and videos are far easier (and obviously free) ways of learning how layers,retouching, adjustments, clone stamps and anything else that springs to mind works in practical ways. There really isn't anything of a higher quality that a teacher could realistically offer.

I can see someone with even a light grounding in how photo editing works going way to fast to be able to get the optimal experience from even an advanced class because the speed of the class is always going to be defined by the lowest common denominator and one person not being able to keep up can grind things to a halt pretty quickly.

I'd be far happier choosing a tutorial that seems interesting to me than I would putting my trust in someone else to do that, no matter how gifted they are.

And I haven't even got to the fact that almost all teachers, online or in classrooms, seem intent on over-coaching the retouching photographs to the point of completely bastardising their own works (yes, studio photographers who think gaussian blur ever looks good, I'm looking directly at you). I don't even mainly mean effects, colour grading or even vignetting, but just the nuts-and-bolts things like removing blemishes and editing backgrounds. The number of times I see clearly skilled photographers ruin their own photographs because they can't (or won't) use Photoshop properly is astounding. Most would be better off not knowing the clone stamp and smudge tools even exist.

The most universal advice I could give is whatever path you go down to take a good look at the teacher's before and after shots and really consider if that's a style you like because like it or not you're going to be absorbing some of their tendencies and if they turn out to be bad habits it'll end up hindering almost as much as it helps you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement