Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Raising Flour v Plain Flour

Options
  • 26-01-2013 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

A number of recipes I've looked at recently instead of calling for plain flour plus baking soda now seem to be calling for self-raising flour plus baking powder.

Have I jumped to conclusions or is there a move away from plain flour plus baking soda to self-raising plus baking powder and if so can you explain why?

As always many thanks for your answers
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

kah22 wrote: »
    A number of recipes I've looked at recently instead of calling for plain flour plus baking soda now seem to be calling for self-raising flour plus baking powder.

Have I jumped to conclusions or is there a move away from plain flour plus baking soda to self-raising plus baking powder and if so can you explain why?

As always many thanks for your answers
    Kevin

For a start, you seem to be confusing baking soda and baking powder. They are different. ( sorry, if you know this, but your message is confusing).

Baking powder is baking soda mixed with tartaric acid. you cant use baking soda without adding a acid to the mixture ( yoghurt, lemon juice, buttermilk).

Self-raising flour is just plain four with baking powder added. If a recipe calls for more baking powder to be added, it means that the recipe needs more baking powder than the standard amount used in self-raising flour ( i.e. scones need more baking powder than most sponge cake recipes).

Plain flour + baking soda is not a substitute for self-raising flour with more baking powder. As long as there is also acid in the baking soda recipe, its just a different way of creating a raising agent. Its always been popular ( soda bread, buttermilk scones)
    Using

Personally. I dont buy self-raising flour, I just add baking powder to plain flour.
    My baking press is small and I have plain flour, strong flour, wholemeal flour. sometimes I have granary flour and I usually have 3 types of sugar. Self-raising flour just doesnt fit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved to Cake & Pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some plain flours have raising agents
    Tesco "plain flour"-Wheat Flour (98%),Calcium Phosphate ,Sodium Bicarbonate ,Disodium Phosphate.
    Tesco value "plain flour" -Wheat Flour (100%)
    Tesco regular "self raising" Wheat Flour (96%),Sodium Bicarbonate ,Calcium Phosphate ,Disodium Phosphate.
    Odlums Cream (Plain) Flour

Odlums Cream Plain Flour is a well established household flour produced by Odlums for over 160 years.

Unlike plain household flours, Odlums Cream Flour contains a low level of raising agents.
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=cream-plain-flour

Advertisement