Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NQT job prospects

• 26-01-2013 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice from some actual experienced teachers. Im in my final year of college and will be a fully qualified Chemistry and Maths teacher come the summer (touch wood). Obviously trying to find employment is a big concern.
    Im hearing lots of different stories and hearsay about job prospects in Ireland. Some people tell me that there is no jobs and I will have a tough time of it here, while others say that because I am a maths teacher and have lots of experience and training in project maths, that I will walk into a job.
    I have really considered packing up to England or the middle east next year, but have a couple of things tying me down here at the minute so would prefer to stay here and work if at all possible.
    Basically Im looking for some idea towards my job prospects from people who would be more in the know, and not the type of hearsay advice I have been getting from people not really in the know.]
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Hi
    First of all, well done in getting this far! It is a tough year, but fun!

I am on my first year out from college. I am qualified in Maths and Geography.

So far, I have been working in one school. This school was my teaching practice school. I have been there at least 2 days every week since September. Between inservices and extracurricular activities I have been lucky!

If you are lucky you might get to cover subjects you qualified in college. However it can supervision or teaching subjects that you are qualified in.

Since finishing last May, I have applied to every maths/geography job on educationposts.ie and educationcareers.ie. I also look at the Irish Independent. These jobs are often in the other side of the country. Anyways over the summer I got 3 interviews (all maternity leave). Unfortunately I didn't get them.
    I have dropped CV's into other local schools aswell.

Since september we have to do 12 workshops every 2 weeks in our local education centre. They are mantatory and go over what we did in college.
    However they are good to meet up with other NQT's for a chat and meeting people in the same situation.

Your subjects are very good. You have science for junior cert. Most jobs I see advertised are for science and maths together. So fingers crossed!

The biggest shock to me last September was I would not be in a routine anymore. Waiting on a phonecall in the morning can annoying! Planning for the next day is a nightmare. Sometimes a call can come at 8.30am.

However as I said your subjects are a good combination. Just dont expect to walk into a job! Apply for everything!

I don't know have I been any help to you but be prepared to have irregular pattern in your worklife. This will help build confidence and experience. I am a great believer in 'whats for you, won't pass you'. So chin up and keep working hard! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

Hi there,

I am in a similar position - qualifying this summer and would really love to hear how other NQTs have been getting on. I think it would be really useful if posters added their subjects and where they are located as this impacts greatly on employment prospects - I hear some people say that they have worked all year and others with barely a day - this info would be much more informative if location and subjects were included! NQT in my school where I'm doing my TP seem to think that if located in an area with lots of schools, there are hours out there but you have to call in and make yourself known to the schools.. what do others think?
    I will qualify in Biology and Science this summer - would love to have maths as another string to my bow but don't at the moment, I might do the add-on from UL when I get the PDE under my belt. I am located in dublin 9 area - lots of schools in the area so cautiously optimistic that I might get a few hours somewhere next year :-)
    Thanks 4 info @electoralshock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm four years out so not an NQT but just to update:

First year out I applied for every single job that had maths in it. Got one interview (for a private position in a pilot school) and luckily got it
    2nd year out: My full time hours were secure in the private school (with project maths) for another year. Applied for every position that had full time maths or music in it. No interviews despite project maths (I was also a local facilitator at this stage and giving night in services in project maths)
    3rd Year out: my full time hours were still secure but concious of the recession I needed to move into public employment to avoid issues with pensions/new entrants. Applied for everything. Got one interview for 15hours, was successful and took the paycut to move to a public school.
    4th year out: full time hours in this school although 11 are not my my own. Applied for other full time hours but no interviews. Stayed where I am

This is why I say maths (at least on its own) does not have this huge benefit over others and at this stage project maths is not a big deal as all schools are already teaching the full new course to 1st years and 5th years, the transition period is almost over

I know that there were just under 200 applicants for one of the maths jobs I applied for in year three. There were over 200 applicants for our caretaker position this summer. There are many unemployed teachers out there or teachers who are trying to improve their contracts.

There are very few jobs in teaching, I was extremely lucky to get full hours in year one but things are worse now and it was private employment. Be prepared for having a very stressful period from April/September every year, applying for jobs, waiting for rejections (which most of the time don't come) etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Thanks for the replies everyone, and do keep them coming, Im sure they aren't just helping me.

I guess the whole "you'll walk into a job with maths" story is not as true as I would have hoped.
    Be prepared for having a very stressful period from April/September every year

Just in relation to this, when will jobs start to be advertised for next year, both in Ireland and England? Obviously a complete novice at this and am a bit clueless as to where and when to start. I have registered with a teaching agency for work in the UK, but it doesn't seem like jobs for September 2013 have started to be advertised yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone, and do keep them coming, Im sure they aren't just helping me.

I guess the whole "you'll walk into a job with maths" story is not as true as I would have hoped.

Just in relation to this, when will jobs start to be advertised for next year, both in Ireland and England? Obviously a complete novice at this and am a bit clueless as to where and when to start. I have registered with a teaching agency for work in the UK, but it doesn't seem like jobs for September 2013 have started to be advertised yet.

Keep an eye on Tes.co.uk for UK jobs. September jobs prob won't be advertised until nearer the summer. You can work in England anytime of the year, the agencies are always looking to bring staff over.

I am constantly getting emails and calls from recruitment agencies with UK positions ( My subject is English), so plenty of work over there if you want it in Sept.

As for Ireland, September jobs prob won't be advertised till the summer.

I'm an NQT and only managed 5 weeks consecutive work so far since qualifying. :(

It is a tough job market at the moment for all subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Online education posts.ie and education careers.ie are the main two.loadzajobs.ie is online version of Irish independent. Check both as some are advertised in one and not the other.keep an eye out now. You might pick something for last few weeks of the year which can be helping hand.June and august are main two months. Permanent job interviews in June are often set aside for someone in the job already so don't get hopes up but don't rule them out completely either. I'd say most jobs are got in august.keep an eye on all the vec websites as well

Advertisement