Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimate cost of house renovation

Options
  • 26-01-2013 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a house that needs repairs. I want to bring somewhere pre offer stage to calculate how much to renovate - rewiring, new heating system, insullation and do a short quote for me to show to bank.
    What type of professional would I use for this. What would I pay. Can anyone pm me recommendations for such a person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

,mnb wrote: »
    What type of professional would I use for this.
    A quantity surveyor.
    What would I pay.
    On a building project, you can expect to spend 15% on fees - that is, if the project cost €100,000(+VAT) in building work, you would spend €15,000(+VAT) on fees. On a small project, you are only likely to need one consultant, but as it gets more sophisticated, you will need more, but the total fees shouldn't really increase as a percentage. However, creating a budget would only be a small part of that - perhaps €500 +1% (of the 15%).

However, you can go as sophisticated or unsophisticated as you like - it is a matter of convincing the bank. I get the impression that the banks are less willing to fund renovation projects, unless there is a good mortgage:equity ratio.
    Can anyone pm me recommendations for such a person.
    http://www.scsi.ie/surveyors/surveyors_search

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

Advertisement