Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy SIII to iPhone5 what to expect?

• 26-01-2013 9:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Haven't had an iPhone since I think the 3gs, I went Galaxy, S2, SIII but last week my SIII was destroyed and I ordered a new iPhone 5 64gig white just because I didn't want another SIII. What huge improvements have apple made to the phone to rival the SIII? Is the camera as good? Battery life comparison? Apps, can you get a free one for most things or will I have to pay for them? I'm not asking for a which is better, arguements, or anything of the sort. Have some people got both, what do they think. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I switched back from the S3 to the iPhone 5. Main reasons I switched back :
    Ease of use - iphone5 is plain and simple. Does what it says on the tin
    Backups - plug it in to charge and it backs up your photos straight away
    More apps - a lot of free
    Battery - huge improvement to the S3
    Size - the iPhone5 is smaller.

The S3 is a super phone and I definitely miss certain parts of that phone. But the iphone5 is perfect for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Moved back myself recently (S3 to iPhone 5).
    Battery life - about the same, I pulled it off charge about 7am each morning and it was/is down to about 15% by 10pm that night (few calls, fair few texts, 3G data on, two busy (unfortunately!) Exchange mail accounts with push enabled, Trillian and Facebook IM clients - maybe an hour/two of usage).

Size - it does feel... odd... going back to the smaller screen after the bigger S3 one? I do miss the S3 screen size aspect :(

Camera is great, for most pictures they're about on par with each other.

UI - kinda miss the widgets and the notification icons at the top of the screen of the S3 although I prefer the iPhone lock screen notifications.

Responsiveness - the iPhone 5 absolutely flogs the S3 here, Samsung saw fit to overlay "TouchWiz" on Android for the S3 which makes it lag central. iOS is just so much more responsive in comparison, I literally cannot make it lag or stutter no matter how hard I try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

After nearly two weeks of owning the 5 it's time for a comparison.
    *bear in mind I'm coming from a non rooted Galaxy SIII

The 5 feels absolutely ****ing awesome in my hands, it's solid, feels well built!
    The Samsung felt flimsy and it broke horribly on me because of this.

I've heard the 5 is more responsive to finger touch... I find the opposite is true, at the edges of the phone its not quite right for instance I try and hit the "p" button while typing a message and I will consistantly type "o", this occurs all over the keyboard for me. Sometimes I tap a button, like a back button on a browser or within a menu and nothing happens, nothing happens the second time either. For me the Samsung wins this hands down.

Screens are similar. I don't miss the size of the Samsung and I really thought I would, the iphones screen is adequate for my needs. The quality of the picture is much the same realistically.

Cameras, I prefer the Samsung camera app but apart from that both phones take amazing pictures.

Battery life... The iPhone MURDERS the Samsung here.

User friendliness: Much much prefer the galaxy here, I'm often wandering through menu's looking for stuff on my iPhone and its never an issue on the Galaxy because I just tap the right hand side button. The iPhone having one button seriously handicaps you. The Galaxy came out of the box with everything I needed and more, the iPhone did not.

Seriously pissed me off to realise that I had to pay 1.29 dollars for whatsapp on the iPhone when it was free on the Galaxy...as were 1000's of awesome apps. There is no comparison here, Galaxy and Play market all the way.

Theres tonnes I like about both, overall I prefer the Galaxy as a phone but for now I'm using the iPhone because it's newer. I can see myself switching back soon enough though because it infuriates me at times. If the Galaxy had a better battery and looked like the iPhone it would be perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

FearDark wrote: »

Seriously pissed me off to realise that I had to pay 1.29 dollars for whatsapp on the iPhone when it was free on the Galaxy...as were 1000's of awesome apps. There is no comparison here, Galaxy and Play market all the way.

Isn't that because its not free on android? There's a once off fee in the App Store but if you use it on android you've to pay a yearly subscription?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The issue with the screen definitely doesn't sound right. Have you contacted apple about it, I have no problem selecting any letter on an iPhone 4, same keyboard but a bit bigger

• Advertisement
Advertisement