Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best goalkeepers this season in Europe at shotstopping .

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

As has been said at the top level(and below) most keepers will be good to great shotstoppers, we see this when some **** relegation team has a keeper who is lauded as being the best keeper in the league because even though he seems to concede 5 goals a match he makes about 5 top drawer saves. Thing is though shot stopping is the easiest part of keeping. The top keeper is the one who has nothing to do for 25 minutes at a time but when called upon is alert. Will command his box, have great communication skills. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Reina has been very **** for a good while now. How come hes not getting stick?

I'm delighted to have DDG, he has cost us so many points? top of the league, still in CL. **** it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Still played so many games? :confused:
    He's on the pitch right now :eek:
    Somebody better inform Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cambo2008 wrote: »
    There's arguably no keeper on the planet as good as Schmeichel at the moment.

Buffon :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Buffon :cool:
    He wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    He wishes.

I know it's subjective, but to have been up there at the top for so long without making a single clanger (I remember maybe 5 mistakes, but not exactly huge) has to be recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

He wishes.

Stats show he is the best in the last 25 years. I think Schmiechel is third.

Being obsessed is not being right - ask the OP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

mitosis wrote: »

What stats? I can find you stats to show alot of things, its important these are relevant ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Statistically ranking keepers is stupid.

I don't think I have anything else to add.

(Adler has been better than any other keeper in Europe this season BTW)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

What stats? I can find you stats to show alot of things, its important these are relevant ones.

We are agreed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mitosis wrote: »

Think most of you guys entirely missed the point of the thread . . My point on these statistics werent that they prove he is great, they prove that the media have focused on one element of his game, completely ignoring areas where he excels. It doesnt mean his negatives should be pasted over, but it also doesnt mean that his negatives should be the ONLY thing they discuss. .

incidentally, my point was validated again last night. DDG made one of the saves of the season, was solid and made no mistakes. Instead of awknowledging it, theres the usual "ah but sure hes bound to make a mistake" cavaet included in the commentary on his performance.

This once again proves that hes not being judged on the same level as the goalkeepers around him. Look at Czech who was very poor for newcastles 2nd and 3rd goals , yet these werent even discussed. .

If you compare any goalkeeper to Schmeichal or Van De Saar they wouldnt stack up against these greats, so its completely ridiculous to set the benchmark higher for Uniteds keeper. He can only be as good or better then the players available now and to be honest there isnt an awful lot better in the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Drumpot wrote: »

Think most of you guys entirely missed the point of the thread . . My point on these statistics werent that they prove he is great, they prove that the media have focused on one element of his game, completely ignoring areas where he excels. It doesnt mean his negatives should be pasted over, but it also doesnt mean that his negatives should be the ONLY thing they discuss. .

incidentally, my point was validated again last night. DDG made one of the saves of the season, was solid and made no mistakes. Instead of awknowledging it, theres the usual "ah but sure hes bound to make a mistake" cavaet included in the commentary on his performance.

This once again proves that hes not being judged on the same level as the goalkeepers around him. Look at Czech who was very poor for newcastles 2nd and 3rd goals , yet these werent even discussed. .

If you compare any goalkeeper to Schmeichal or Van De Saar they wouldnt stack up against these greats, so its completely ridiculous to set the benchmark higher for Uniteds keeper. He can only be as good or better then the players available now and to be honest there isnt an awful lot better in the EPL.
    Sure MOTD didn't even acknowledge it as a save and Motson after a shot was blasted at him "and De Gea can't hold on to it".
    They're just looking for anything to criticise him over. His performances are being scrutinised as he made a fair few errors in his early time at United, it's something for them to latch on to.
    If you were to scrutinise every goalkeepers performance in the league there would be a lot more ammunition for many more of them than there would be for De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stats for keeper??

Wtf.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Think Goalkeepers are hard to rate e.g Hart and Cech seem to get free pass from the media for some reason while De Gea takes a lot of slack. Even Reina until maybe last few months was getting away with mistakes as described as uncharacteristic.

For consistency in Premier League this season Guzan is quite underrated maybe because he plays in front of the worst defence in Europe but he has been Villa man of the match on multiple occasions especially in Chelsea and Spurs games when could have been double figures for him

Advertisement