Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlock UPC Cisco EPC3925 to use with other Network

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

samsuree wrote: »
    Hi,

How to unlock UPC Cisco EPC3925 to use the router with other service providers. Please let me know if any one has experimented it.

Thanks
    Suresh A

But it's a cable modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Er. its not your modem. It belongs to UPC and you are only renting it.
    Hi,

How to unlock UPC Cisco EPC3925 to use the router with other service providers. Please let me know if any one has experimented it.

Thanks
    Suresh A

• Registered Users Posts: 32 samsuree

elderlemon wrote: »
    Er. its not your modem. It belongs to UPC and you are only renting it.

Is there any way to unlock the same to use with other network?

Is there any way to unlock the same to use with other network?

What other network?

Karsini wrote: »
    What other network?
    Any thing... like a normal router which i can use with any service provider...

• Advertisement

Any thing... like a normal router which i can use with any service provider...

Simple answer - you can't. The UPC modem is a DOCSIS cable modem/router, not an ADSL modem/router. Different technologies, one runs on television cable, the other on telephone lines.

Simple answer - you can't. The UPC modem is a DOCSIS cable modem/router, not an ADSL modem/router. Different technologies, one runs on television cable, the other on telephone lines.
    Oh okay... so no way to use with other network...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ironically enough lots of users would be happy enough not to have to use it at all never mind use it with another network:)

Oh okay... so no way to use with other network...

You may be able to use it on Digiweb Metro or Permanet if you could convince them to provision it for you, but chances are they wouldn't. Impossible to get it working on Eircom/UTV/Vodafone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The Cisco router upgrade from UPC I got a few months ago is garbage. The router has no antenna and using the laptop in the kitchen which is only 30 feet away gets me 1 bar lol atrocious routers in every sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can you use your own router with UPC?

dreamers75 wrote: »

No, on residential accounts they'll only provision routers that they've provided themselves. Business accounts can.

I am not sure though i havent tried it....

The issue here is that DOCSIS uses the MAC address of the modem for account authorisation and to determine what config file to send to the modem. On UPC, if an unregistered modem is connected to the network, it's sent the cm_unknown.bin file which restricts access to the internet. UPC have to add the MAC address of the modem to your account so the modem will be sent the correct file, and they won't do it on a residential connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Router yes modem no. I got an epc3925 off UPC the other day, logged in to the modem and switched it to bridge mode, connected my own router, job done.

The issue here is that DOCSIS uses the MAC address of the modem for account authorisation and to determine what config file to send to the modem. On UPC, if an unregistered modem is connected to the network, it's sent the cm_unknown.bin file which restricts access to the internet. UPC have to add the MAC address of the modem to your account so the modem will be sent the correct file, and they won't do it on a residential connection.
    Oh okay great.. thanks for the information. I would like to know how to break the same, if any one has done that. For example, there are ways to break locked mobiles... in similar way to that are there any ways we can do the same for this as well?

Advertisement