Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

0mega's Study Log

• 26-01-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

0mega here, 18 and from Malahide. Hoping to study Medicine in college, so I'll include some details about the HPAT prep I do in here too.

Targets:

Maths - B1 (H)
    English - A1 (H)
    Irish - A2 (H)
    Spanish - A1 (H)
    Biology - A1 (H)
    Chemistry - A1 (H)
    History - A2 (H)

Total: 600 points

(Although I'll be happy with anything over 550 in the Leaving Cert, when applying for medicine the difference between 600 and 550 in the leaving cert is only 10 points as it gets scaled down).

I'm applying to all medical schools across Ireland, with the Dublin ones being my preferences.

My studying methods so far consist of reading chapters from the book, making notes and preparing sample answers for exam questions. My method may turn into cramming a bit more over the next few weeks though as the mocks approach. I will also sit the HPAT on the 2nd of March.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

My work so far consists of:

- Reading through chapters of Photosynthesis & Respiration in Biology, highlighting the key stuff and writing myself up notes.
    - Reviewing the poems of Derek Mahon and the notes at the back of the book, making my own notes on each of the poems and wrote a few plans for sample essays.

Anyone got an idea on how you'd go about answering this question?

'Derek Mahon evokes people and places in perfectly formed poems' :confused:

I plan on taking a break for a while now and trying to force myself into doing some HPAT prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Basically you would answer it by saying about how Mahon puts forward the mindset, history and feelings of the people and places he talks about in poetry. The poems I would use are Kinsale, Before the Titanic, Antarctica, Rathlin and Grandfather.

sganyfx wrote: »
    Basically you would answer it by saying about how Mahon puts forward the mindset, history and feelings of the people and places he talks about in poetry. The poems I would use are Kinsale, Before the Titanic, Antarctica, Rathlin and Grandfather.

Thanks, regarding the 'perfectly formed poems' part of the question though, what does that even mean really? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

0mega wrote: »
    Thanks, regarding the 'perfectly formed poems' part of the question though, what does that even mean really? :confused:

I doubt that holds any significance the examiners are just trying to flatter him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I suppose they are just looking for you to just describe how great the poems are and your reasons for thinking they are "perfect" . Also to talk about the poem's structure,poetic techniques etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will be looking for some comment regarding the structure, language used etc. for the 'formed' part.

Thanks ^^

I finished a HPAT exam with a decent percentile, so I'm happy enough.

Not a bad day's work overall. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Thanks ^^

I finished a HPAT exam with a decent percentile, so I'm happy enough.

Not a bad day's work overall. :)

:O Don't say that! There's still an hour and ten minutes left in the day! Surely you're not done ? :P

Methememb wrote: »
    :O Don't say that! There's still an hour and ten minutes left in the day! Surely you're not done ? :P

:D

If only I could muster the energy to go on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Ah no, fúck it, chill out :cool: I'm finishing this English off and then it's time for a bit of breaking bad :D

• Advertisement

I'm exhausted. HOURS of Irish done today, had a load of sraith pictúir to catch up on and essays to prepare for the mocks.

Goals for today:

- Algebra revision & exam questions
    - All the experiments in Chemistry
    - Write up a history essay

Advertisement