Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1600Mhz RAM showing as 1333MHz?

Options
  • 26-01-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

I'll admit that I have been away from PC's from some time and I've become a bit rusty.

Can anyone tell me why the 2x4GB sticks of 1600MHZ ram I installed in my machine are only showing up as 1333MHz in the BIOS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Elessar wrote: »
    I'll admit that I have been away from PC's from some time and I've become a bit rusty.

Can anyone tell me why the 2x4GB sticks of 1600MHZ ram I installed in my machine are only showing up as 1333MHz in the BIOS?

Probably a default setting or one the motherboard is happy with to be stable, should be able to change the profile in the BOIS, you shouldn't really see much of a boost by changing it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Might be the most the motherboard can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moved from games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

If you recently installed a new piece of hardware the BIOS might reset to default settings, which is generally a safer setting - hence the 1333Mhz.

Just go to your BIOS (usually by pressing DEL upon startup) and find the section relating to memory clock speeds - you might have to set it to manual, then adjust timings. Put it back up to 1600Mhz if you had it at that before and everything was running fine.

Don't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Either the maximum your board supports or as said its in 'default' mode. Sometimes the board does that to ensure the best possible conditions for successful boot - especially on new builds its a nice feature to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Woops didn't realise I posted this in Games! I had the PC upgrading forum open in another window, must have gotten confused.

Yeah after a look in the BIOS, it was the motherboard clocking it at 1333MHz. Put it back up and all is well. As a side note, I also managed to overclock the Corei5 3570k CPU to 4.5GHz at 1.33mV and it seems stable enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jelly. I think one of the higher stable overclocks on the 1055t is ~4.0 Gghz. But then, I have Six cores, and you're running a 2x2 :p I find it hard to justify putting it into its Overclock though, I did it once to prove it could be done but it runs stock because overkill. Planetside 2 though finally represents a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah I did it because, well, I can. And it's nice to know you have a decently fast PC :D You might as well try and get the most out of what you have, it could be said that 6 cores is overkill in itself!

I must check out Planetside 2. I'm about to try Far Cry 3 on this rig, the first game and it's fairly demanding by all counts. I've the AMD 7970 so hoping I can run it on ultra at 1080p...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I had RAM rated at 1600 running at 1333 before. I contrived to break my motherboard by accidentally overclocking it by trying to make it run at 1600 when it was only capable of 1333. Be careful when you fiddle around with the BIOS.

Advertisement