Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick cat with no appetite

• 26-01-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

our 3 year old female cat has the cat flu for the past few days, she is on betamox and loxicom as prescribed by our vet but she wont eat for us or drink either. The last time she had something was yesterday morning, just some milk.
    I know one of the side effects of loxicom is lack of appetite coupled with the flu which would make her not feel hungry anyway. Shes really thrown down but I need to get her to eat, can anyone recommend anything that would appeal to her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Cats rely heavily on their sense of smell. If they cannot smell something they won't eat it. She is probably blocked up due to the flu.

You need to try something really smelly. Get a tin of RC recovery and warm it up. Cats will usually go for that when bunged up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The stinkier the food the better. You could try things like tinned sardines, my cats love them in oil and they reek. Maybe tasty things like chicken and tuna or even baby food can appeal. If you warm things a little in the microwave just til lukewarm it increases the smell of food.

I'd avoid cows milk as many cats can't digest it properly and it can cause tummy upsets. Hope puss gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Irishchick wrote: »
    Cats rely heavily on their sense of smell. If they cannot smell something they won't eat it. She is probably blocked up due to the flu.

You need to try something really smelly. Get a tin of RC recovery and warm it up. Cats will usually go for that when bunged up.
    The stinkier the food the better. You could try things like tinned sardines, my cats love them in oil and they reek. Maybe tasty things like chicken and tuna or even baby food can appeal. If you warm things a little in the microwave just til lukewarm it increases the smell of food.

I'd avoid cows milk as many cats can't digest it properly and it can cause tummy upsets. Hope puss gets better soon.

Thanks for the replies, most helpful!

Advertisement