Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada or Australia

Options
  • 26-01-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Thinking about emmigrating and dont really know where I should go too, Canada or Australia. My partner is leaning more towards Australia for the heat and beaches etc, (Not my thing though )

But whats the quality of life in the two countries?
    Whats are the job markets like?
    Where is the best place to raise a family?
    Is either country expensive to live in?

Look forward to reading some replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Sin City wrote: »
    Thinking about emmigrating and dont really know where I should go too, Canada or Australia. My partner is leaning more towards Australia for the heat and beaches etc, (Not my thing though )

You would genuinely pass on Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, etc....for Canada or Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If I were considering Canada, I would also consider Scandinavia and the Benelux countries. Might be similar climate wise, or not too far off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

It depends on visa for one thing. If you or your partner can get enough points for a skilled visa then you really do have either options. If you're thinking working holiday, then Canada would far easier. The Aussie govt. keeps adding more regulations to visas, you can see in the Aussie section. The Canadian govt. recently extended it's working holiday (work, study, travel, enter, exit the country without restriction) to 2 years. That is hard to beat. Aussie unemployment is 5.5% but increasing, Candian about 7.2% moving gently up and down 0.5%. I believe both countries are expensive to be honest. Quality of life for both countries ranks the highest in the world. If you Google that you will quickly find years of credible studies on that.

I'm aiming for the same. The Euro economy is fked and I don't want to hang around for it. Plus, I also don't need to be within an 1 hour flight of mom.

Norway

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

canada seems to be the new destenation of irish.... Think the aussies are sick of the irish now with
    there party attitude and not work attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

5 months on and Im still here. I said Id give here a year, and see if I am any better off, if not then Id say Ill be gone somewhere come next year

seachto7 wrote: »
    Norway

You got shares in the Norwegian tourist board?:D

Id try it out, I hear Norway was great but expensive, my brother lived in Finland for a while and he wanted to slit his wrists , though he did enjoy the auld fairy ride and drinking binge in Estonia.

Anyway , she who must be obeyed said No way:(

canada seems to be the new destenation of irish.... Think the aussies are sick of the irish now with
    there party attitude and not work attitude

Yeah there is that, I mean Id be bringing the little uns with us and them having get a bit of stick and slight racist remarks from the Aussies might upset herself

Some of our fellow Irish are making a show of us down under

Well, I'd be thinking if you didn't want to bump into numpty Irish, steer clear of Aus and Canada, thought might not be as bad in Canada...

Hence me thinking Norway...

seachto7 wrote: »
    Well, I'd be thinking if you didn't want to bump into numpty Irish, steer clear of Aus and Canada, thought might not be as bad in Canada...

Hence me thinking Norway...

True, but havent heard anything bad about ourselves in Canada. Doesnt mean it isnt happening, just I havent heard of any

• Advertisement

dont see it happening in canada... the police take no crap in canada... get away with nothing... canada are strict on visas they kinda want skilled people who want to work and specially young familys....

Wish i had the bottle to go myself i have a young family here and im just messing about day to day... if things stay the same i think il be on plane

dont see it happening in canada... the police take no crap in canada... get away with nothing... canada are strict on visas they kinda want skilled people who want to work and specially young familys....

Wish i had the bottle to go myself i have a young family here and im just messing about day to day... if things stay the same i think il be on plane

Im in the same boat. I have a young family, the eldest just finishing her first year of primary school. Just waiting to see if things change I may have to go before it gets to the stage that I am too old to get a visa

I'm about one step ahead in deciding what to do. I tried giving Ire a year to see if things improve. I kept finding friends fleeing the country like it was on fire at a time when I got quite a few interviews late last year. I thought I'd get something, if only my 2nd/3rd/4th preference. A few months have passed and no such luck. So I've decided to emigrate. I've a nice stash saved and I'm well on my way. If I get job rejections now, it's like water off a duck's back, it doesn't trouble me now that I've a plan and good money backing it.

As for Norway, I loved the place. I wouldn't avoid Ca/Au because of other countrymen - I would follow a steady employment rate and economy first, consider yourself before those fellas.

p.s. in the Canadian section you read about the police in British Columbia totally ignoring groups smoking dope in the countryside. Maybe they're only strict when they have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i have lived in Canada and oz and to be honest they are very different. the people and culture are completely different. if you chose Canada and don't want to freeze in winter move to Vancouver. it didn't snow too much in the winters i was there. in summer it is amazing so beautiful. i lived in Toronto too but found it too built up and claustrophobic. Montreal is a stunning city second biggest french speaking city in the world after Paris. the women there are unreal : )

Australia is great too i think the jobs front in oz is better than Canada and the pay is better too. i moved to Canada in 2009 came back from oz this year.i traveled all over oz and Melbourne was definitely my favorite city.
    if you Google the worlds most livable cities Melbourne and Vancouver are in the top 3 in the world. Australia is defo more expensive than Canada especially Perth but the pay is better in oz so it evens out.

Would you say it's hard for graduates to get entry level experience/internships in Canada atm? I see they are very strict in banning unpaid internships (which I'm delighted with).

To the best of my knowledge, and following the Aussie section where people there are talking about the current climate, working holiday visas for Aussieland seem much harder to get now and few employers will take on anyone with a 1 year visa and 6-month per-job restrictions unfortunately. Otherwise I'd choose the sun for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We're just south of Vancouver in Seattle.

I absolutely love Canada, specifically BC, and go up there a lot. Its the total opposite of sun and beaches though. Its forests and mountains and snow and sea.

The people are friendly, employment and economy is okay. Education is fine, They have good healthcare, its safe... the list goes on and on...

I think it really comes down to what (I hate to sound newage) "lifestyle" you'd prefer. Thats very important in life.

When I left Ireland 20 years ago I went to California, primarily because of the climate there, you want to experience something completely different. Beachlife is fun. AS I got older I moved north though. The pacific northwest has a very similar climate to Ireland.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    We're just south of Vancouver in Seattle.

I absolutely love Canada, specifically BC, and go up there a lot. Its the total opposite of sun and beaches though. Its forests and mountains and snow and sea.

The people are friendly, employment and economy is okay. Education is fine, They have good healthcare, its safe... the list goes on and on...

I think it really comes down to what (I hate to sound newage) "lifestyle" you'd prefer. Thats very important in life.

When I left Ireland 20 years ago I went to California, primarily because of the climate there, you want to experience something completely different. Beachlife is fun. AS I got older I moved north though. The pacific northwest has a very similar climate to Ireland.

My brother is in Vancouver so Id love to go over, I hear its a fantastic place but herself likes the Aussie lifestyle, sun sand the old thing

What to do

leave her and go yourself haha

If only it was that easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I've lived in both & overall prefer Aus.

I lived in Vancouver while in Canada which is a small but very beautiful city. The only things I disliked about life there were the rain & the amount of homelessness.
    I visited Toronto & wasn't that drawn to the place. Just another average city.

Australia is a more relaxed place to live & the people are less uptight tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I've lived in both & overall prefer Aus.

I lived in Vancouver while in Canada which is a small but very beautiful city. The only things I disliked about life there were the rain & the amount of homelessness.
    I visited Toronto & wasn't that drawn to the place. Just another average city.

Australia is a more relaxed place to live & the people are less uptight tbh!

Again... yes it rains in Vancouver, nearly all the time in winter. Summers on the other hand are the complete opposite and bordering on perfect. The fact is the most expensive city in North America to live in is what you should be looking at. You will never be able to afford a house here and I worry about an Irish style property bubble explosion. If I could get a job in Germany or Holland there would be no competition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement