Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the absence of HMV...

• 26-01-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Is there anywhere at all in the city that has a decent selection of DVDs & blu-rays...???

Apologies if related topics have been covered already.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Is there anywhere at all in the city that has a decent selection of DVDs & blu-rays...???

Apologies if related topics have been covered already.

Xtravision, Gamestop, Tesco and Dunnes are about it. Xtravision would have the biggest a selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Yea, that's what I feared. Cheers! Where is the biggest/best Xtravision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nowhere in Limerick would have a good selection at this point tbh, plus some of the prices are nuts locally for blu ray.

As an example. I picked up Dredd on blu ray from a bricks and mortar store in Liverpool last weekend for £11 (roughly €12.91). The exact same blu ray is for sale right now for €24.99 in Xtravision.

I am all for buying locally, but not at prices that are a complete rip off. I would expect, and be willing, to pay more than the UK High street prices but only to a point.

Brave, which I wanted to get for my nephew before flying to England tomorrow, is going for €27.99 in Xtravision. €27.99 for a single film on blu ray!!

I am now just going to wait until I get to England tomorrow and buy it somewhere in Manchester before the Liverpool game.

Granted there are certain things to be taken into account when Irish prices get looked at, but when you can get the exact same blu ray in a bricks and mortar store in England for half the price or less of the Irish price for the exact same product, then one really has to look at the rip off nature of Irish pricing, and I say this as someone who owns a few outlets in Ireland and as such am very familiar with the excuses usually trotted out for rip off pricing as well as the actual things that do push up some pricing.

Where you could look, if you don't mind buying second hand, is in the Limerick Animal Welfare store and also in the cash converter places. There can be a surprising amount of dvds and blu rays in them at low prices. Plus if you get them in one of the charity shops your money will be going to a great cause.

Nice one, I'll give em a look.

I'm actually gutted about HMV going, for this reason alone! Could spend hours upstairs in Cruises Street.

Enjoy the match. As an LFC fan myself I have a renewed sense of optimism the last few weeks. Good news about Coutinho too, looks like it's happening according to SS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Nice one, I'll give em a look.

I'm actually gutted about HMV going, for this reason alone! Could spend hours upstairs in Cruises Street.

Enjoy the match. As an LFC fan myself I have a renewed sense of optimism the last few weeks. Good news about Coutinho too, looks like it's happening according to SS.

I am the type that loves to browse music/film stores as well. Would agree with you on the upstairs of the cruises street shop. Selection wise they were pretty decent. The store in Ireland that I miss most for sheer browsing pleasure is the Virgin Megastore that was in Cork City. They often had a fantastic range of films and at pretty competitve prices, along with similarly good ranges when it came to music and games. Between there and the comic shop in the Paul Street centre I wasted many hours (and put a fair few dents in my credit card accounts:))

The SS "breaking news" is actually just a repeat of what was on Italian TV the past few days, so would take any SS exclusives with a pinch of salt.

There is a pretty good footy forum here on boards. You should think about applying to post there as there are some cracking posters who post on a regular basis. Plus the bar for being approved to post there is set pretty low given that I was let in.:)

• Advertisement

Totally agree on the Virgin Megastore, another place I've wasted loads of time. In a good way.

I'm a member on the Football forum alright, have been for a good while. Dip in and out of the 'Pool megathreads to read but never post really- it seems that they're so busy that a post would get swallowed up! The anti/pro FSG arguments would wreck the head at times as well. But you're dead right some very knowledgeable fans on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Buy online.

Advertisement