Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual Trading in Maynooth

Options
  • 26-01-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

I would welcome your views on the casual trading taking place at The Square and at the bus stop at O'Neill Park. Do you think that it should be regulated or stopped altogether?

The County Council is preparing draft casual trading by-laws for The Square in Maynooth as a pilot for the area. The reason this location was chosen is that it already has unregulated casual trading taking place and also it is a site which, in theory, can accommodate casual trading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The stuff in the Square on Saturday morning is generally fairly decent, if it could be regulated to ensure quality (e.g. stop the knockoff branded clothes and likely stolen powertool stands that appear at "markets" in other towns) that'd be a much better option than stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eimhin.ennis

Could restrict it to food, home produce, crafts etc to keep it all above board and family friendly. Completely ban selling of clothes, phones, electronics etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it is a great idea and would give local crafters and bakers etc a chance to show their produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Councillor wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would welcome your views on the casual trading taking place at The Square and at the bus stop at O'Neill Park. Do you think that it should be regulated or stopped altogether?

The County Council is preparing draft casual trading by-laws for The Square in Maynooth as a pilot for the area. The reason this location was chosen is that it already has unregulated casual trading taking place and also it is a site which, in theory, can accommodate casual trading.

Some things shouldn't be allowed, others allowed but regulated. I've often seen traders selling food which I don't think is fair on the local businesses. If these sellers are allowed at the very least these people should have permits and should be held to the same health and safety standards as the local premises. No one should just be allowed to drive up in a van, open the door and start selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

By regulation do you mean that casual traders will have to pay a registration/license fee? If so, then I completely disagree. I also don't accept the concept that it is unfair on local businesses - they're there twice a week for a few hours - if the local businesses can't compete then they should look at why they can't instead of trying to prevent the trading altogether which is where this is coming from. This is a Maynooth business council idea I'm told from a reliable source - it's not related to health/safety/trading standards etc in the slightest.

Things that shouldn't be sold like knockoff apparel, fake phones, stolen items, etc. already have laws in place to prevent them - enforcement in that area by the Gardai is required not regulation of legitimate traders.

The square is a public facility - I really don't see a problem with people using it for casual trading on a Saturday and Thursday which is all it is right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Orion wrote: »
    By regulation do you mean that casual traders will have to pay a registration/license fee? If so, then I completely disagree. I also don't accept the concept that it is unfair on local businesses - they're there twice a week for a few hours - if the local businesses can't compete then they should look at why they can't instead of trying to prevent the trading altogether which is where this is coming from. This is a Maynooth business council idea I'm told from a reliable source - it's not related to health/safety/trading standards etc in the slightest.

Things that shouldn't be sold like knockoff apparel, fake phones, stolen items, etc. already have laws in place to prevent them - enforcement in that area by the Gardai is required not regulation of legitimate traders.

The square is a public facility - I really don't see a problem with people using it for casual trading on a Saturday and Thursday which is all it is right now.

No I don't mean paying for a license, free permits for those that wish to trade. As for local businesses not being able to compete/health and safety it has nothing to do with the competition of sales. I specifically talked about food sellers should be held to the same health and safety standards.

Businesses are checked by health inspectors why should casual traders be treated different? That'd be unfair and potentially unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You don't need a casual trading license from the council to be inspected by HSE officials for food safety. Again that's an enforcement matter not a local regulatory matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Casual Trading anywhere in Ireland is covered by the Casual Trading Act:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/act/pub/0019/index.html

...worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Orion wrote: »

I'd heard the business association welcome the market, but would like it regulated to make sure it doesn't get out of hand, good quality homemade/artisan type goods/crafts were a good addition. Parking on the square was an issue though.
    I would say a small fee would make sure everyone pay's their way, I'd like to see it go to something local though, tidy towns or similar.

Advertisement