Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I've broken my thumb - is the hospital free?

Options
  • 26-01-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I think I've broken my thumb, very swollen and very sore :(

I was thinking about going to the hospital, how much will that cost me? Is there any way of doing it for free? Do I have to pay cash when there?

Haven't been to the hospital in about 8 years, last time was to the eye and ear and didn't have to pay anything.

I don't even know what to do when I get there, do I just take a ticket or what?

Which is closest hospital to Rathmines or City Centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You'll get a bill in the post. Think its €100, at least it was when I broke my wrist last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

There's a charge I thing of around 100e I think if you just turn up at casualty. If you have a letter from your doctor I think its free but not too sure if that's changed. A few years ago when I went with a referral letter from my doctor I wasn't charged anything but had paid my doctor who sent me to casualty 50e. Could you ring your nearest hospital to check?

If you go to your GP and they refer you, you don't pay the hospital fee. You will have to pay your GP but its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

I've had to pay the €100 A&E charge there and then. The only way to get out of paying that is to get a referral letter from your doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

cheers, so i'll actually have to pay the €100 there and then?

just been looking on the citizins info website & that seems to be the case...

what if you don't have the €100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

cheers, so i'll actually have to pay the €100 there and then?

just been looking on the citizins info website & that seems to be the case...

You either have a medical card and it's free or if you don't, you have to pay the €100. You pay the €100 up front before they send you into triage so if you don't have it, we'll you probably won't get seen ....

triage? so it's free if i go in there? is that where the nurse looks at you first?

will there be queues at this time of day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I'd imagine it's too bad if you don't. See the out of hours dr (50e or thereabouts) and they should refer you for an X-ray. At least it isn't as much that way

You don't have to have the fee at A&E as they will send you a bill after. You really should see your own doctor first as it may not be broken and would cost you less. Plus you could be waiting for hours in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

triage? so it's free if i go in there? is that where the nurse looks at you first?

will there be queues at this time of day?

No, I don't think you will get seen by triage unless you pay the €100 first but I could be wrong, they may bill you later

Op, go to your doc. If they think you need to go to the hospital they will refer you.

Basically you will need to pay someone in order to get some medical attention

• Advertisement

right, thanks all

guess I'll leave it a day or two then maybe go to the GP first.

might pop up to my Mums later and get her to kiss it better.

€100 is extortionate though.

Anyone recommend a GP in Harold's X / Rathmines area?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wotsit

They're not going to refuse you medical attention, my god if you genuinely don't have the money they are not going to turn you away if in pain. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a GP that opens 7 days in O'Connell St, he'll refer you onto the hospital if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I was in a&e last week and they just sent me the €100 bill this week if that helps any :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

remember breaking my finger about 3 years ago went to james'. after two hours sitting there decided i was leaving and went to the hermitage beside liffey valley. an hour later i was bandaged up and home. in saying that it cost €300 for xrays and whatever else they charge for, but i didnt have to pay (work did) so it didnt really bother me.

heres an xray or two of said finger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You don't have to pay up front in A and E , you get billed later.In some cases the billing department in hospitals can use their discretion regarding payment.

I was in a&e last week and they just sent me the €100 bill this week if that helps any :-)

i could probably live with that - don't get paid til next week and it has been 7 weeks since last pay day at this stage - which hospital?

I dunno, I might just wait a couple of days and see if the pain goes away, lash a few panadols or something down me in the meantime. with gin.

mattjack wrote: »
    You don't have to pay up front in A and E , you get billed later.In some cases the billing department in hospitals can use their discretion regarding payment.

cool - i'm starting t think they mightn't be too impressed if i come in with a sore thumb on a saturday evening though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Jaysus man if you are suffering from a possible broken thumb, then go and have it seen to. If is broken, leaving it go for a few days won't help at all. The hospital will have no problem looking at it on a Saturday. You will not be turned away if you do not have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Go now, don't leave it until tonight when A+E turns into a warzone. James is your best bet.

• Advertisement

grand, so, i'm in work until 4, will head for James's afterwards.

cheers all, i'll update with what happens

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In fairness, €100 is not an extortionate fee. If you don't have it, you don't have it, but I'm amazed that you're able to live day to day without any money or being able to get a lend off friends/family.

antodeco wrote: »
    In fairness, €100 is not an extortionate fee. If you don't have it, you don't have it, but I'm amazed that you're able to live day to day without any money or being able to get a lend off friends/family.

ya usually wouldn't be a problem, but am not paid until next week, have not been paid for 7 weeks, had Christmase, etc... in the meantime as well as moving house so just plain broke.

I actually know a nurse who works in a clinic, gonna see if she can have a look before I go hassling the people in James's, waiting on a text back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

OP, if you think you've broken your thumb, play it safe and go to the doctor or A&E. this isn't really a Dublin City topic so I'm closing it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement