Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone's Management Company leaving lights switched off?

Options
  • 26-01-2013 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I just noticed this habit appear to creep in the complex where I live. A very odd day the outside lights won't go on, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes all night.

It's happening sporadically but has been happening at least once every 8-10 days since the clocks went forward in October.

Thing is I mentioned it to a mate last night and it turns out that the same thing has been happening at his complex on the other side of the city. He counted 30 street lights in his complex and reckons they're powered with 600w bulbs so even not having them on for a few hours could amount to a decent saving. Doing it intermittently throughout winter could save thousands from the power bill.

Anyone else experiencing similar recently ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

600w bulbs are madness in these day and age. Plenty of choice,y preference these days are for induction lighting in public areas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I seriously doubt that they're using 600W bulbs- that just sounds crazy. We use 120W CCF football things here- they're incredibly bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

RATM wrote: »
    I just noticed this habit appear to creep in the complex where I live. A very odd day the outside lights won't go on, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes all night.
    If its not following a particular pattern then it is almost certainly an intermittent fault rather than a deliberate action.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

xper wrote: »
    If its not following a particular pattern then it is almost certainly an intermittent fault rather than a deliberate action.
    OP; if it's this, it's only a matter of time before they just stay off. Seems like whoever used to fix them is no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 captain_irish

There on a timer in a knee high box somewhere in the development the timer is controlled by the internet somehow or another. get onto your management company about it. If <snip> do the maintenance on the lights chances are it was deliberate or their really really bad at their jobs. prob the latter. I'm a janitor with experience of a problem like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This may have insurance implications.
    If <snip> do the maintenance on the lights
    Perhaps best not to name individual companies like that.

There are lots of different options for lighting controls. It could be a fuse blowing or someone turning off a switch they shouldn't.

Advertisement