Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical broadband question, exchange level

• 26-01-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Could someone help out with my curiosity here...

Moving from eircom to sky got me thinking. I'm on a LLU exchange. It was my understanding that in LLU exchanges you have a physically different connection at the exchange if you move away from eircom?

I'm wondering because currently, using the same phone line, I can connect to the eircom network if I enter the eircom username and password or the sky (esat) network if I connect with the sky username and password.

Or am I incorrect and do the lines all go to the same DSLAM and then the LLU distinction happens at a later sage depending on the username and password provided?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Cork981

Could someone help out with my curiosity here...

Moving from eircom to sky got me thinking. I'm on a LLU exchange. It was my understanding that in LLU exchanges you have a physically different connection at the exchange if you move away from eircom?

I'm wondering because currently, using the same phone line, I can connect to the eircom network if I enter the eircom username and password or the sky (esat) network if I connect with the sky username and password.

Or am I incorrect and do the lines all go to the same DSLAM and then the LLU distinction happens at a later sage depending on the username and password provided?

Thanks

Fairly sure sky are using bitstream so basically they are reselling eircoms services.
    So you are likely to be connected to the same DSLAM so both login details will work.

With LLU they would required to have to own DSLAM and backhaul in the exchange, which doesn't seem to be the way there going about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Oh, I thought in LLU exchanges they were using BT equipment. Interesting.

Advertisement