Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Visas for Family of 3??

Options
  • 26-01-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

hi my husband and I, along with our 16 month old want to move to canada. He is a mechanic and there seems to be alot of jobs there at the moment in this sector.
    Just wondering re: visas - he is 34 so could we enter on a IEC type 2 year visa or would we have to go for the Skilled trades type? Also wondering what application duration roughly is as we have sold cars etc etc and are ready to make the move (cant wait to get out of Ireland for a few years - to a booming ecomony!)
    any advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

As far as I know the limit on IEC is 30. There has been some talk of this changing this year but nothing confirmed yet. I am not sure if mechanic is a skilled trade but you will most probably have to go down the route of getting a job first, and then convincing an employer to apply for an LMO, and going on a Temporary Work Permit. Processing estimates on these vary but I have heard it can take 16 weeks. Someone else may be able to answer in a but more detail.

I am kind of in the same boat, I worked in Alberta in 2011 and am looking into going back out. I have had a child since so am trying to see what the best route is to get my partner and daughter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

look up this site www.canadavisa.com they will assess your eligibility for free and advise the best route to take. they are genuine...check them out online they can do all the paperwork and depending on need for skills your case could be fast tracked. I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Lawlesz wrote: »
    As far as I know the limit on IEC is 30. There has been some talk of this changing this year but nothing confirmed yet.

The International Experience Canada (IEC) is open to people aged 18 to 35.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Lima Golf wrote: »
    The International Experience Canada (IEC) is open to people aged 18 to 35.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that - but if my husband is 35 next January 2014 - does that mean that we wont be able to stay after that?
    Whats the cost of IEC visas?
    Is this route faster than the skiller migrant route as mechanic is listed on this but we wanted to make a move sooner rather than later - totally had it up to here with this country!
    sorry about all the questions!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

a lot of people go for the IEC visa and soon find their visa timelimit running out. You can apply for permanent residence when you are in Canada but it is far simpler to do it from home in the first place. If you think you will stay longer than the two years my advice is to apply for Permanent Residence right now...often it can be granted in just over a year and you can come and go as often as you like and it allows you to work for 5 years and have it renewed if you stay at least 3 of 5 years. You complete the same ammount of paperwork and in the long run it's definately worth it. The very least you should do is take an assessment

• Advertisement
Advertisement