Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Macbeth essays

• 26-01-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey! So... My English teacher is sort of useless! He never reads any work that he assigns us and on the occasion he does he doesn't grade them. He also doesn't particularly help us, whether it be with notes or advice. Everything in my essays is with help from 'English Key Notes' and 'English Shortcuts to Success'. So would you guys take a look at my Macbeth essays and tell me if there on the right path? Thanks in advance! :)

File attached is a word document of my essays.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They would all very much depend on what question you are asked.
    If you don't answer the question they won't get any marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

spurious wrote: »
    They would all very much depend on what question you are asked.
    If you don't answer the question they won't get any marks.

Of course. The questions I did are Exam Paper questions (some are slightly edited to cover more things)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I didn't have time to do anything more than skim through the first two essays, they look quite good with a good, varied use of language and comprehensive analysis etc, though they look a small bit on the long side but if you can get it done in the time limit, good for you. However, the one thing you're seriously lacking is any sort of personal response. You're responding to the question, yes, but what English examiners really seem to be looking for these days is your personal response to the question. How did Macbeth's character make you feel etc.? You don't have to go overboard or anything but maybe once every point you make refer to your own opinion, and that should get you the high marks you want. Good luck. :)

Slow Show wrote: »
    I didn't have time to do anything more than skim through the first two essays, they look quite good with a good, varied use of language and comprehensive analysis etc, though they look a small bit on the long side but if you can get it done in the time limit, good for you. However, the one thing you're seriously lacking is any sort of personal response. You're responding to the question, yes, but what English examiners really seem to be looking for these days is your personal response to the question. How did Macbeth's character make you feel etc.? You don't have to go overboard or anything but maybe once every point you make refer to your own opinion, and that should get you the high marks you want. Good luck. :)

Wow this is a great response, I would totally agree with that, adding my own personal response completely slipped my mind! (probably something my English teacher should of mentioned...) Yeah I was thinking some of them may be quite long, I have the same problem with the history essays I've prepared - I hate leaving out anything! I feel like I would be able to get it done in the time limit but I always tend to shed a page or a page and a half from my prepared essay of things that won't get me points/will make the essay too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭bren2001

Only had a quick glance through as I did Macbeth for my Leaving a while back. I had some notes.

In all of your opening paragraphs you seem to start with "it is completely true" or it is "unquestionable true" or it is the "dominant theme". These are never the case and instantly you are cutting off interesting avenues you can go down with your essays e.g. Macbeth is ruthless but would he of committed those acts without the influence of his wife? He wouldn't of murdered the King without the influence of the Witches so no it is not "completely true".

Your points are a little but disjointed. You start off talking about the influence person X has on Macbeth then person Y then you sum up with a quote from person Z. Each paragraph and sentence has a point, don't stray from it.

Be careful using quotes. They are suppose to back up your point e.g. essay one you talk about Macbeth being ruthless after the Witches, the quote is " All hail Macbeth thou shall be King". How does that show Macbeth is ruthless?

Don't go too far into personal responses as suggested above. If you are asked to explain characters they are not relevant. If you are asked to discuss themes they are important but you dont go "I felt sad reading this", it typically should be kept third person "Shakespeare created an atmosphere of (blank) for the reader by (blank)".

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Only had a quick glance through as I did Macbeth for my Leaving a while back. I had some notes.

In all of your opening paragraphs you seem to start with "it is completely true" or it is "unquestionable true" or it is the "dominant theme". These are never the case and instantly you are cutting off interesting avenues you can go down with your essays e.g. Macbeth is ruthless but would he of committed those acts without the influence of his wife? He wouldn't of murdered the King without the influence of the Witches so no it is not "completely true".

Your points are a little but disjointed. You start off talking about the influence person X has on Macbeth then person Y then you sum up with a quote from person Z. Each paragraph and sentence has a point, don't stray from it.

Be careful using quotes. They are suppose to back up your point e.g. essay one you talk about Macbeth being ruthless after the Witches, the quote is " All hail Macbeth thou shall be King". How does that show Macbeth is ruthless?

Don't go too far into personal responses as suggested above. If you are asked to explain characters they are not relevant. If you are asked to discuss themes they are important but you dont go "I felt sad reading this", it typically should be kept third person "Shakespeare created an atmosphere of (blank) for the reader by (blank)".

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind when I edit my essays :]

Anymore advice would be great, two posters above have gave me more to think about than my English teacher has in 2 years! Would anybody be kind enough to give me a grade on any of my essays as they are now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Niiall

Try to always get a cuuuuuurved surface, like a teeeeeeeardrop.

Niiall wrote: »
    Try to always get a cuuuuuurved surface, like a teeeeeeeardrop.

I have no idea what this means.

Advertisement