Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reasons for moderator

Options
  • 26-01-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

looking for good info on reasons why a moderator is needed on a gun so i can put in my application for my for my .223

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.james1984

you control foxes in close prox to livestock such as horses and sheep and these are easily startled. thats what i put on mine for the .243

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

• Reducing the report of the rifle when in a field/area that ia adjacent to livestok/buildings.
    • Reducing felt recoil to more safely handle the firearm.
    • By reducing felt recoil it improves accuracy making your shooting safer.
    • Allows for quicker follow up shots.

I have seen this before where the FO puts lads off by telling them the Super will never pass it, and so the lads eventually give up, and don't apply. This means the Super doesn't have to refuse the mod, and does't have to give a reason why.

Apply for the mod with the reasons provided here. Then if the FO says they are not good enough simply tell him to submit the application anyway that if the Super deems them not good enough you want him to refuse the application, and get an official refusal rather than word of mouth at the window.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Protects your hearing as it's not practical to stalk / hunt with earmuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I had this happen to me - it was for a .22 LR.

I went with the application without the mod included as per the FO's 'advice' and it came through.

However after I found out that the FO was spinning me a line about the Super not agreeing to it I submitted an Amendment form using the above reasons and that came through in a very short period of time with no questions asked...

So apply away and make them confirm in writing if they decline your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Here is the letter I sent in with my application,
    Dear Sir(Madam),

I am submitting my application to acquire a firearms certificate for a (rifle and calibre) rifle; I also wish to apply for permission to fit a sound moderator to it.

I will be using this rifle solely for the purpose of vermin shooting. Much of this will be carried out at in the night or early morning. I wish to have a sound moderator fitted to it to reduce the noise emitted when firing so as not to cause any disturbance in the night or early morning.

A Sound Moderator will also protect my hearing, I accept that I could also wear hearing protection, however when out hunting on farmland I want to be able to hear all around me in case I’m being called or to listen to instructions from someone who would be lamping for me at night time. I would also want to be able to hear someone if they were out walking on the land. While hearing protection would definitely be important on a firing range, I believe that when out in the countryside shooting you must be fully alert to any dangers around you, a sound moderator would allow me to do this without any impediment.

I am a member of XXXXXXXX Gun Club. I consider myself to be of good character and a responsible licensed firearms holder. I hope that you will look favourably on this application.

If you have any queries to this application please do not hesitate to call me on XXXXXXXXXX.

Your Sincerely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Here is the letter I sent in with my application,

I sent in one like this almost word for word and still got turned down for one.

I sent in one like this almost word for word and still got turned down for one.

So are you saying the letter is unsuitable?

It worked fine for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

It worked fine for me!

Nah, I think he is saying the super is unsuitable :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

It worked fine for me!

No not at all. Letter is grand just with one like it I did not get the moderator. Different super different area

Robotack wrote: »
    Protects your hearing as it's not practical to stalk / hunt with earmuffs.

And is unsafe when stalking. It is important to have good hearing when walking around with a firearm!

Also, h&s guidelines state that the source of the noise must be eliminated/reduced prior to consideration of use of PPE. These guidelines apply to the workplace, but you would be shooting on a farm or coilte land, which is someone elses workplace :-)

End of the day, its all down to the mood of the super, and/or luck. In my case, it was just luck, cos a mate used the same justification as me, and he got refused.

I am told by a local garda, that my moderator got approved cos it just slipped through the system, the super does not approve mods! Will be interesting at renewal time to see what happens!

• Advertisement

wexfordman wrote: »
    And is unsafe when stalking. It is important to have good hearing when walking around with a firearm!

Also, h&s guidelines state that the source of the noise must be eliminated/reduced prior to consideration of use of PPE. These guidelines apply to the workplace, but you would be shooting on a farm or coilte land, which is someone elses workplace :-)

End of the day, its all down to the mood of the super, and/or luck. In my case, it was just luck, cos a mate used the same justification as me, and he got refused.

I am told by a local garda, that my moderator got approved cos it just slipped through the system, the super does not approve mods! Will be interesting at renewal time to see what happens!

The old super in Midleton is gone not sure what the new one is like.

The old super in Midleton is gone not sure what the new one is like.

The old super was grand, I think the new fella is a bit of a stickler. My 243 licence was granted about six months ago son went through the new super, and it was very time consuming let's say.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rockyvsrocky1

ya mine my gun 223 is gone into midleton had to wait 4 months for my shotgun last yr waiting now 5 weeks for the 223 and my local guard laugh at me when i put hearing protection down as one of my reasons lol

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

ya mine my gun 223 is gone into midleton had to wait 4 months for my shotgun last yr waiting now 5 weeks for the 223 and my local guard laugh at me when i put hearing protection down as one of my reasons lol

they have to giv u an answer within three months from date of app...my app got put in wrong place(lost) for rifle i kept onto them made complaint to sergent about garda tht miss placed it and they werent long findin it again...as for super here i applied wit same kinda reasons for silencer on .22wmr and i had to meet him...he said not granting silencer as i dnt hand them out willy nilly wat bulls**t if i ever heard it b4....id send him in big letter about needin it and get few landowners who ive permissions with outside gun club to sign form that they want me todo vermin control wit silencer...but it another 80e as silencer classed as firearm in itself. so jus gonna keep eye out over next few months for nice cheap .243 bout the 500e mark less if possible and add mod and stuff myself and send in dat app....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

There is no extra charge for a moderator its not classed as a firearm, You do need the S on your licence or possibly a letter from your super saying you are granted permission to have one but thats it. Its not a Firearm in itself. Write a letter requesting one and if its granted you will get a new licence with the S. There is no seperate licence and definitely no charge.

cw67irl wrote: »
    There is no extra charge for a moderator its not classed as a firearm,
    Wrong
    You do need the S on your licence
    Right
    or possibly a letter from your super saying you are granted permission to have one but thats it
    Wrong
    Its not a Firearm in itself.
    Wrong
    Write a letter requesting one and if its granted you will get a new licence with the S. There is no seperate licence and definitely no charge.
    Right, wrong, and depends/wrong.

It is a firearm in itself, there is a charge if it's applied for after the license for the firearm it's for, a letter from the Super is not good enough as it's not recorded on PULSE, and some stations will charge for it others may not (if applied for after already getting the license for the gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I got a mod for my rifle. I submitted it as an alteration and it came through no problem and no charge.

As i said "it depends".

A suppressor is classed under law as a firearm, and demands an €80 fee if you did not apply for it when applying for the gun it is to go on.

Some people "get away" with not having to pay while others do. however the €80 is applicable. As the suppressor is marked on your license (or new license i should say) as an "S" and not on it's own license the €80 seems not to be enforced as rigidly as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

Cass wrote: »
    As i said "it depends".

A suppressor is classed under law as a firearm, and demands an €80 fee if you did not apply for it when applying for the gun it is to go on.

Some people "get away" with not having to pay while others do. however the €80 is applicable. As the suppressor is marked on your license (or new license i should say) as an "S" and not on it's own license the €80 seems not to be enforced as rigidly as it could be.

ya i was told da same off my gun dealer and my f.o told me same....that it is a firearm and u wil b charged for it as an extra on licence that why always apply for one wit first application to avoid extra fee...

Be interested to see how it goes. I woldnt put hearing protection down as the sole reason though, would use a coupleof other valid reasons too. Also, if you are going to say hearing protection, say something about h&s law saying that the source of the noise must be reduced first, and when stalking with a gun, you need to have full hearing and hearing protection would restrict your hearing, which would be bad for stalking,and froma health and safety persepctive!

shocking spelling,osrry!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

I got a mod for my rifle. I submitted it as an alteration and it came through no problem and no charge.

what form did you fill out and send in for the alteration?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rockyvsrocky1

Still withing on the super in midleton haven't heard nothing in about 9 weeks rang up said there was a back log that's was 3 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

i got lucky then ticked the box for moderator gave no reason and got the licence with the s on it
    goes to show its luck of the draw with the licences

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Cass wrote: »
    cw67irl wrote:
    or possibly a letter from your super saying you are granted permission to have one but thats it
    Wrong

I don't have an 'S' on my .22 licence, I have got a cover letter each year from them covering me for the next 12 months.

A letter, while still standing as an authorisation, is not recorded on PULSE. If you were stopped when out and a Garda checked your license and seen no "S" it could be problematic. Even with the letter it would not be smooth sailing because the letters are of such low quality that if i were a Garda i would be concerned about fakes.

The only way for a Garda outside your district to check your license out is to ring your local station, and ask them to check. However as it's not on PULSE they would have to physically check paperwork.

IOW it is all counter productive, and makes having/needing the "S" on the license moot. Take your license, and letter of authorisation back to your FO, and ask them to print the license again, but with your "S" on it. They cannot refuse as the letter stands as authorisation.

This crap about yearly letters is a way for the the local Gardaí to keep tighter controls on who has a mod, and instead of them waiting three years to refuse you (if they choose to) they can do it at 12 months.

When you apply for a mod, and are granted it, it runs for the length of the license. So technically you could have authorisation for a mod without having an actual license if the two are not "synced".

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Hi there , having had a written permission for a sound moderator for a .22 for many years ,I was told to hand it in when I was applying for my second monopoly money licence and put down on the form that I wanted a new moderator permit . I refused to hand it over as it is signed by a Super and is open ended i.e. no expiry date . I can't see any reference to a €80.00 fee for a moderator or for that matter a telescopic sight whose tick box is beside the moderator tick box on the form . When I applied for the moderator permit I said I wanted it for h&s , vermin control , and not to upset livestock when involved in vermin control . Anyway I got my new permit which is valid for 3 years , but still have what in my opinion is more valuable , the open ended permit . Safe shooting !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

clawback07 wrote: »
    Hi there , having had a written permission for a sound moderator for a .22 for many years ,I was told to hand it in when I was applying for my second monopoly money licence and put down on the form that I wanted a new moderator permit . I refused to hand it over as it is signed by a Super and is open ended i.e. no expiry date . I can't see any reference to a €80.00 fee for a moderator or for that matter a telescopic sight whose tick box is beside the moderator tick box on the form . When I applied for the moderator permit I said I wanted it for h&s , vermin control , and not to upset livestock when involved in vermin control . Anyway I got my new permit which is valid for 3 years , but still have what in my opinion is more valuable , the open ended permit . Safe shooting !

It isn't an open ended permit, it expires when your licence expires, if you sold the .22 tomorrow you'd have to give up the mod too, you can't hold onto it just because you have a letter.

The 'scope' box on the FCA1 form isn't for a telescopic sight, it's for a nightvision scope.

Blay covered it nicely. To elaborate a little.
    Hi there , having had a written permission for a sound moderator for a .22 for many years ,I was told to hand it in when I was applying for my second monopoly money licence and put down on the form that I wanted a new moderator permit . I refused to hand it over as it is signed by a Super and is open ended i.e. no expiry date .
    It's meant to be an S on the license, and not a letter. Refusing to hand it over, even if you are/believe you are in the right is the same as refusing to hand over a firearm. Probably best to discuss it rather than take such a hard stance.
    I can't see any reference to a €80.00 fee for a moderator...........
    As it's classed as a firearm it requires an €80 fee if applied for separately. When applied for with the firearm the €80 firearm license fee covers both firearm, and the mod.
    ........ or for that matter a telescopic sight whose tick box is beside the moderator tick box on the form .
    You don't need to tick the sights box unless it's a nightvision scope. For normal rifle scopes no need to tick the box.
    When I applied for the moderator permit I said I wanted it for h&s , vermin control , and not to upset livestock when involved in vermin control . Anyway I got my new permit which is valid for 3 years , but still have what in my opinion is more valuable , the open ended permit . Safe shooting !
    Unless it's an S on your license it's not on PULSE. So if any Garda wanted to check your details on PULSE they cannot, and could lead to problems. Best bet is to request a reprint of the license with the S, and show the letter from your Super to show you are authorised for the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Actually it is an open ended permit for the moderator - it does not refer to any serial numbered firearm or any serial numbered moderator and I have changed firearm which has left me just with a mod for the duration of the wait for the licence process for a new fire arm . On renewing my licence I was specifically asked whether I had a telescopic sight for the rifle and to tick the box for same , so we'll have to agree to disagree .

• Advertisement

Actually it is an open ended permit for the moderator - it does not refer to any serial numbered firearm or any serial numbered moderator and I have changed firearm which has left me just with a mod for the duration of the wait for the licence process for a new fire arm .
    You got the letter for the mod when you applied for a rifle. meaning you wanted it for that firearm. So on any other firearm you should be "renewing" the letter or since 2009 getting the S on your license.
    On renewing my licence I was specifically asked whether I had a telescopic sight for the rifle and to tick the box for same , so we'll have to agree to disagree .
    No we won't. Whomever told you that is wrong. It's not for telescopic sights.

Advertisement