Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reasons for moderator

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

clawback07 wrote: »
    Actually it is an open ended permit for the moderator - it does not refer to any serial numbered firearm or any serial numbered moderator and I have changed firearm which has left me just with a mod for the duration of the wait for the licence process for a new fire arm . On renewing my licence I was specifically asked whether I had a telescopic sight for the rifle and to tick the box for same , so we'll have to agree to disagree .

A moderator is classed as a firearm. If you sold your .22 you couldn't just throw the mod in a drawer and hold onto it. The letter you got grants it to you as an addition to an existing firearms licence, it's not a licence to keep the mod on its own.

Holding onto it in the situation you describe is legal as it's only a substitution in that case..you can hold onto any ammunition/mods you have while waiting on a sub. If you cancelled the licence or let it expire the mod would have to go too, it's totally illegal to hold onto it if you don't have a valid firearms licence to justify you having it.

You were misled then in that case, it's for NV scopes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Hi there , this comes back to the same old story that every garda district has a different approach to firearms licensing - the f.o. that I was dealing with has held that position for many years and is always very helpful and not in the least obstructive , so if that person says tick for a telescopic sight then so be it - I'm not going to antagonise someone who makes my application proceed in a hassle free manner !

Hi Blay , I accept what you are saying re the mod as you obviously know what you are talking about and thank you for the information re the finer points of the law re the mod . Everday is a school day ! Anyway I am still street legal ! Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No one is saying to put up a fight if you are getting what you want. However when you say you refuse to hand over a mod until it is licensed again, will use an "open ended" authorisartion letter (and not an S o the license) we can only assume you are being given the wrong information.

So good or bad you are being given the wrong info. We are not An Gardaí. We cannot make you do anything nor your FO. All we can do is tell you what the law says, what should be done. After that it's up to you what way you handle it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

When I said I was refusing to "hand it over " I was referring to the open ended permit - not to the mod itself . The garda wanted the open ended permit . Dense and all as I am I would not get into confrontation over the actual mod , and if the garda said I was to give it up what could I do but abide by the law and i would not advocate that stance in relation to anything to do with firearms !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If you have a permission for a moderator, can you own own more than one, say you want to buy a newer light one?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rockyvsrocky1

hey gang, finally got it with the S on the licence in all 4 months not bad waiting on it ill put up pics of the gun when i get it

Advertisement