Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

make your own installer

Options
  • 26-01-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Is it only with open source software you can make your own installer?. I saw a site suggesting people could make their own installer for an open source prog if they did not trust that unticking the bundled ads would ensure they did not get them

Could you make an installer for any program? Is it in the installer the ads/spyware etc are bundled. Would you need just the exe and where would you get just a plain exe of the program

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You could use something like NSIS or Inno Installer. I tend to use Ninite to install stuff without the toolbards and junk.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

yoyo wrote: »
    You could use something like NSIS or Inno Installer. I tend to use Ninite to install stuff without the toolbards and junk.

Nick
    Thanks. I was interested in learning to make one. I will look at Ninite though. Is all the junk always in the installer?

yes chance wrote: »
    Thanks. I was interested in learning to make one. I will look at Ninite though. Is all the junk always in the installer?

Look into the solutions above so. I used both a while back just as a kind of interest really. Not a coder though. There both scripted but there are IDEs out there for them if you don't fancy learning the script code.
    Ninite bypasses the toolbars/junk installation completely. It's a brilliant tool for updating plugins and re-installing stuff after a format

Nick

Look into the solutions above so. I used both a while back just as a kind of interest really. Not a coder though. There both scripted but there are IDEs out there for them if you don't fancy learning the script code.
    Ninite bypasses the toolbars/junk installation completely. It's a brilliant tool for updating plugins and re-installing stuff after a format

Nick
    Had a look but cannot download unless choose programs. Does that check all the time for updates in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Had a look but cannot download unless choose programs. Does that check all the time for updates in the background?
    It installs the last version if the apps you select.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

If you want to update the installed applications, run the small executable again that you originally downloaded from Ninite.

is this only for people who create their own programs? It could not be used to install a program downoaded from the net?

is this only for people who create their own programs? It could not be used to install a program downoaded from the net?

Yes, it's designed for programmers like the ones I mentioned above. I suppose you could re-package an app if you wished provided you know the registry modifications/where settings files are created etc.

Nick

Yes, it's designed for programmers like the ones I mentioned above. I suppose you could re-package an app if you wished provided you know the registry modifications/where settings files are created etc.

Nick
    ok thanks they are a bit beyond me at the moment. I had though it may be possible to use something like it to install programs and make sure they was no adware etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

ok thanks they are a bit beyond me at the moment. I had though it may be possible to use something like it to install programs and make sure they was no adware etc

Have you tried investigating the default install settings and switches for any program you're not sure about? I'm far from an expert on this, but one such example is here. I'd expect this changes from program to program.

Unless you know what you're doing, making your own installers for programs might make things worse rather than better tbh. (i.e. writing keys to the registry without knowing what they do)

• Advertisement
Advertisement